1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

smokers thread

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by philipman, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I don't think you killed it Dave. You made a great point that everyone should listen to. After smoking for about seven years I've been trying like hell to quit since January and I'm doing fairly well. I still cheat when I'm around my friends who all smoke but it's better than the 5 or 6 cigarettes a day I was at before I started trying to quit. Now I need to convince my friends to quit so I'm not tempted every time I see them :)

2. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

It will be 3 years May 23, 2005 that I quit smoking 2 1/2 to 3 packs a day, Kool's then Salem Lights, over 33 years as a smoker. It is your mind that needs to be fixed and nothing else. Read the little book called QUIT! It takes less then 2 hours from front to back, big print in a book the size of a cigarette pack. If you don’t quit then you really are SOL. Also, don’t knock it if you haven’t tried it, just pay less then $5 for the darn book and read it!

On another note: Even after these three years, the urge can still be there to smoke, rarely but still sometimes, but common sense always prevails.

$4 x 3 packs a day = $12 x 365 days = $4,380 of net income = some nice upgrade’s for the PC!!!!!! <G>

Only to the smokers that want to quit…

If you don’t want that little white cigarette as your boss, telling you when to light up and telling you that you will be miserable until you get dressed and run to the store to buy some more then please get that book and read it.

Good luck and at least read this book before you attempt to quit. :)

Last edited: May 5, 2005
  3. baabaa

baabaa Active member

@Scubabud

I am actually looking at quitting, and interested in getting hold of a copy of that book.
    Am in the UK, I don't suppose you know of anywhere here that may have it?
    Or even somewhere overthere, cos I'll make a purchase.....cheers

4. kenneth1

kenneth1 Regular member

I will keep on smoking my Kool's after all they are for cool people

5. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Last edited: May 5, 2005
  6. arniebear

arniebear Active member

I smoked for thirty years, went into the hospital four years ago for a gallbladder problem and ended up having a triple bypass, not due to anything but my bad habits. There is nothing like a week in a hospital and a major scare to give you the reason to quit, have not smoked since but I do like to get a whiff of someone else every now and then just for old times sake, the yen really never leaves.

7. philipman

philipman Regular member

quit because I would hate to die, now I want to die.

8. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

i am actually trying to quit myself, the wife would like me to before we have our first child...i've been smoking for about 15 years or so, since i was 15; but, old/bad habits die hard...and me soon if i don't quit soon. im like a 2pack/day person, have been this way for many years...marlboro reds man myself. my profession is very stressful, and i get a lot of "smack talk" behind my back because it's looked down upon being in the medical field, knowing the effects, yet puffing away like a chimney~

i am going to pick up that book that was referred to earlier in this thread and give it a try, im addicted to the nicotine myself, i even ran some tests on MYSELF to see what part of the cigarette i was actually craving...it's the nicotine~

anyways, best of luck to all those that are trying to quit and/or have quit successfully, congrats~ i am a long way from there but would like to start now before it takes over my life.

9. zippyd

zippyd Active member

10. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Hi, been chokin for 25 years, worst mistake I've ever made, and maybe the most expensive even considering 1 kid and 1 divorce. 20 odd rollups a day here tho I live on a main road and black lungs are supposedly caused by the traffic!! Here in the UK the authorities seem to think that stopping us smoking at home or in the street wil improve public health?? The government make £230,000,000 per day in revenue from tobacco (Hipocrites!)and say they can't afford hospitals for smokers. Until they make it illegal to pollute my atmosphere with vehicle fumes I will smoke where I like and to hell with 'em!! Anyroad thats my twopennorth..bfn

11. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Cheers for the links, shall be ordering a copy this weekend, when I receive it I shall let you know I get on, will probably start up a small 'diary' on how I get on, and see how my attitude/personality change - maybe change for the better..........LOL

Actually looking forward to try and stop, so that must be a good thing.........;-)

12. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Sod it, rather than just talk about ordering it over the weekend, just ordered it now........................

Trouble is I've got 100 to get through before it arrives, I am gonna have a spaced out weekend..............

13. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Big pack (30) a day. Camel Ultra Lights -- no, it does not kill me slower, but gets the black lumps I spit out of my mouth each morning slightly smaller :)

Been smoking for 12 years now I think. Quit once for 6 months, didn't have a single cig during that time. But, oh well :)

And no, I don't smoke inside my home, inside my car nor inside my office, thus I never pollute anyone who doesn't smoke. And yes, I know, it kills me. So does corn flour, traffic, breathing and traditional British food.

14. philipman

philipman Regular member

I just quite and I feel beter all redy, I can run more and everything. One of the best things I have done, don't get the crap in my lungs every morning anymore.

15. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

philipman
    What was the key to your success? Quitting is something I am very seriously considering. Any pointers would be appreciated. As I get older my health is finally becoming more important to me. While I consider myself in shape now who knows what it will be like in 5 yrs or less from now.

16. philipman

philipman Regular member

well no I just got rid of all my cigs and did it cold turkey, it was hard but I got past it. I also drank a lot.

17. baabaa

baabaa Active member

@dRD

LMAO, that'll do it for sure................especially if you have come across my mums home made meat pies.............

18. rap4life

rap4life Guest

we need more somking laws in america.I dont like to smell smoke. If someone who smokes outside or in their house or their car are ok with me.

19. philipman

philipman Regular member

I think that those laws are crap! People should be let to smoke were ever they want too!

20. rap4life

rap4life Guest

Is it right for ur smoke can help kill some nonsmoker, i not my fult that u smoke its your if u dont like the laws then quit smoking. If u want to kill ur self then do it but dont take 5 nonsmokers with u. its like DUIs.