1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smudge with Verbatim Printable DVD on Epson R300

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by R300_Tom, Oct 10, 2004.

1. R300_Tom

R300_Tom Member

Hi.
    I have problem with printing on Verbatim DVD-R (4x, Advanced Azo, DataLifePlus) and printer Epson Stylus Photo R300. Print result is excellent, but when I softly touch printable surface after printing, it makes smudges.
    The smudges are the same, if I touch, in spite of dry up the DVD 12 hours on air! How much time you must dry up your DVD´s after print, or where is problem?

2. Biosgain

Biosgain Guest

Are they definately printable media?
    It doesn`t sound like they are to me,should be touch dry within minute or so.

3. cfodder

cfodder Member

Verbatim do 2 types of printable DVD's inkjet printable and thermal printable which type do you have?

4. R300_Tom

R300_Tom Member

Hi. Thanks for interest.
    I use Verbatim DVD-R (4x) Printable DataLifePlus media with Advanced AZO. I don´t now if they are termal or injekt, because on DVD or bookled aren´t about it informations. But I found on my DVD cover REORDER NUMBER - 43236, and this number is on www.verbatim-europe.com under printable media. Number 43259 are on their web as thermal printable. So, they have only two categories printable and thermal printable. I conclude thet the only "printable" means injekt printable. And I have only "printable". So I don´t understand where is problem? Today I bought two different no name DVD´s with printable surface (I don´t now if they are injekt or thermal, but the clerk told, they are injekt, it was woman :-D), I print on it, and the result is the same as Verbatim. After hours on air soft touch and result smudges. Do you have the same printer (Epson R300, my printer is new, cartriges are original, print on paper is no problem) ? I don´t understand it.

5. cfodder

cfodder Member

I don't have that printer. I only replyed as I hapen to know that Verbatim produce both types.
    BTW Epson staff used to recommend silk finish CDR's for printing ( to a distributor near me )

6. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

might be worth dropping epson support an e-mail about this as i have a r200(more or less same printer apart from the card reader) and have printed many inkjet printable cdr/dvdr media on it and the discs are touch dry within minutes of comming out the printer

7. dumbfuker

dumbfuker Member

[rant mode on]

I have the r200 as well and absolutely love it.....MUCH better than I ever expected. I wish my burning results were as good as my printing results. :)

[rant mode off]

Anyway, I use Ritek and Prodisc (when I need printing all the way to the hub) inkjet printable media and the ink is dry by the time the disc is ejected from the printer. Unless there is a problem with your ink or print density, I suspect you don't actually have INKJET printable media, but thermal.

DF

8. R300_Tom

R300_Tom Member

Hi, troubles continues.

My next action was call directly to EPSON HELP DESK, guy that answer to my questions about print on DVD/CD never seen Epson printer, I think. His only answer was that the Epson printer are the best quality and my situation is impossible. But hi gave my number to servis center. STOP – I bouht my printer in shop, in this shop you have 30 days testing time, during this testing time you must confirm your guarantee list or demand back money (in the same shop as you bouht) and when you have certifiably your guarantee list, than you can go to servis center. STOP. I called to servis center, servis man wasn´t able solve my problem by phone. I told to him, that I haven´t meanwhile guarantee list, but it was a good man, and told my than I can arrive with damages DVD´s and he will look on it. In servis center hi looked at DVD´s and executed some test with special dilution on in-jekt. But never before din´t see this, he browsed long time in servis documentation on my printer and reslut was – nothing. His advice is: Go to shop, confirm my guarantee list, and go back to servis center and hi will test my printer and compare my printer with the same printer. Another advice: Go to shop, and attack shop to give my money back. Second advice is not gut, because don´t solve my problem in generaly: „printing on DVD/CD“. First advice? I am afraid that the servis man told my after testing, that the smudges are normal, and his advice will be – don´t touch DVD´s at printable side. Situation is tangled up, I now. After this conversation I found dealer of Epson product, I directly go to his shop. I ask on printing to DVD´s. Salesperson told my this: !!! It is absolutly normal that the surface after soft touch makes smudges. The solution by Epson is intend for 100% careful manipulation. And If I don’t 100% manipulate…, it will make smudges !!! My second question was: Is on market some lacquer to fix the surface? Answaer: Yeh it is, but we are „only monopoly dealer of Epson product“ and this type of products we havne´t. !!! But hi gave my tip where I can maybe buy. I byu „RESPRAY GLOSSY LACQUER.“ Yeah, it work perfectly. Now I can bath my printed DVD´s, and nothing smudges. Great. But the price isn´t good 20 $ (you can make around 30-40 DVD´s with this lackquer), and all my printing production is more expensive. And it eat time, printing, polish, dry, …

And what now? Return printer or going to service center with printer or using always lacquer technologie and procedure.

9. Biosgain

Biosgain Guest

I`ve got the epson R200.
    It must be your media, I`ll check the numbers around the inner circle of the two brands (4x) of disc I use.
    One is ritek printable, other is verbatim printable.

10. R300_Tom

R300_Tom Member

OK, I try check another media.

11. rayboy

rayboy Regular member

> But I found on my DVD cover REORDER NUMBER - 43236, and this number is on www.verbatim-europe.com under printable media. Number 43259 are on their web as thermal printable. So, they have only two categories printable and thermal printable. I conclude thet the only "printable" means injekt printable

Order number sometimes means: the amount of DVD per package. ie. 100 DVD/pack or 50 DVD/pack or 25 DVD/pack or 10/pack
    There is another kind of printer besides inket and thermal is laser printer.

> OK, I try check another media.
    That is the GOOD approach.

I have R-200 and only buy the media which are sepecified as injet printable if they not specified that then I dont buy. I printed on the following media:
    - Prodisc- white surface
    - Prodisc- silver surface
    - Ritek- white surface
    - Taiyo Yuden- white surface
    They are all dry in minutes.

12. narrowrd

narrowrd Member

I use the R200 and Verbatim Inkjet Printables. The ink does smudge if the image is heavy, and I have found that I have to tone down my images, as well as adjust the ink output on the printer settings. But, usually after one or two attempts I can get a smudge free DVD that is dry to the touch in a few hours. BUT- there are a lot of conditions that will affect your ink. I live in Alaska where it is dry most of the time- the humidity will affect how long your ink is wet. I even ran accross a place in the manual where is says not to use the disc for 24 hours after printingto allow the ink to cure... Hope this helps.