1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SNES, roms, Keylauncher & HDloader on one boot cd help

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Stinky_1, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

I want to try and install snesstation, hdloader and roms onto one cd. I am setting up keylauncher to be the boot file. Then I want to just select which program I want to run from there. I tried my theory about keylauncher running from a cd. It does actually run from it, but for some reason it is NOT loading my KL.dat file. So it opens but there are no keys assigned to anything.

Does anyone have a copy of the contents of their KL dat file?

I changed my boot directories to run from the CD. I even tried by putting ALL the elf files just on the cd with no file folder, and I tried putting them in a file folder and linking them that way.

I am pretty sure if I got the KLDAT file to actually boot into keylauncher it would run right off that CD.

Also what I am trying to do is put Snesstation on there as one of the programs. And have the cd full with all my roms as well.This way I can have one master boot disc that will load my patched HD loader app, as well as my Snes AND would then load all my roms as well. This way I would NEVER need to change the cd in there.(which is my ultimate goal)

I hope somebody could help me out here.

2. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

hmmm, did you edit the KL.DAT file?
    Thats what i did and everything worked fine.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2005
  3. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

this is one of the setups I did in my KLDat file

[]=cdrom0:/PS2MEDIA.ELF;PS2 MediaPlayer
    /\=cdrom0:/MCLOADER.ELF;MCLoader
    O=cdrom0:/HDLOADER.ELF;HARD DRIVE LOADER
    X=cdrom0:/SNES_EMU.ELF;SUPER NINTENDO
    R1=cdrom0:/CSL.ELF;CogSwapLoader
    R2=cdrom0:/PS2LINK.ELF;PS2Link
    R3=
    L1=cdrom0:/PS2LOAD.ELF;CDLoader
    L2=cdrom0:/MCFORMAT.ELF;MCFormat
    L3=

I just threw out the "FILE" folder and moved all the elfs to the main cd. And set the boot.elf to run right as soon as the ps2 started. LIke I said I was able to get into keylauncher this way but the shortcuts did NOT load off the kldat.

I also tried it this way

[]=cdrom0:/FILES/PS2MEDIA.ELF;PS2 MediaPlayer
    /\=cdrom0:/FILES/MCLOADER.ELF;MCLoader
    O=cdrom0:/FILES/HDLOADER.ELF;HARD DRIVE LOADER
    X=cdrom0:/FILES/SNES_EMU.ELF;SUPER NINTENDO
    R1=cdrom0:/FILES/CSL.ELF;CogSwapLoader
    R2=cdrom0:/FILES/PS2LINK.ELF;PS2Link
    R3=
    L1=cdrom0:/FILES/PS2LOAD.ELF;CDLoader
    L2=cdrom0:/FILES/MCFORMAT.ELF;MCFormat
    L3=

And I used the files folder this time.

If you dont mind can you tell me what is in your KL.dat file? Am I missing any commands there? I only modded the ones that came with the program so I didnt think anything was missing.

Also once I get this part to work will I be able to load all my ROMS into folders and have them load off snes station from that same cd?

4. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

also what exactly does keylauncher need to run? I figured it was just KL.DAT and BOOT.ELF from the file folder. So for my CD I just moved both those to the main cd, then changed the .CNF file to say

boot2 = cdrom0:/BOOT.ELF;1
    ver = 1.10
    vmode = NTSC

Then I had the file folder loaded up with all the other apps that are suposed to run from keylauncher. And had a bunch of folders with my snes roms.

Also what the heck does that "ver = 1.10" mean? I have seen all kinds of numbers on there. AND THEN the snes emulator uses "ver = b.10" Is this something special that has to match up with something else? Or is this really not completly relevant?

5. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

will let you know how ive got it setup as soon as i get home =)

6. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

ok, I dont think its possible to configure keylauncher to load elfs from cd?

Heres how I had KL setup:

[]=mc0:/BEDATA-SYSTEM/PGEN.ELF;PGEN
    /\=mc0:/BEDATA-SYSTEM/SNESPS2.ELF;SNESSTATION
    O=mc0:/BEDATA-SYSTEM/SWAPMAGIC.ELF;SMD
    X=mc0:/BEDATA-SYSTEM/HDADVANCE.ELF;HDADVANCE
    R1=mc0:/BEDATA-SYSTEM/PS2MENU.ELF;PS2MENU
    R2=mc0:/BEDATA-SYSTEM/EXECFTPS.ELF;PS2 FTP
    R3=
    L1=mc0:/BEDATA-SYSTEM/CDLOADER.ELF;CDLOADER
    L2=
    L3=

I didnt bother trying to get KL to work from cd if I recall now. not worth the hassle
    But what I did do was create a PS1 disc with all my roms and exploits on it, and configured it to boot the ps2menu exploit from mc.
    Then in ps2menu I would choose the cdfs option and load any elf I wanted from the PS1 disc.

7. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

My main goal here is to not end up wasting 1/4 of a memory card if I dont need too. Plus it makes me nervous when a program like this has access to write to the memory card.

When I used Snesstation for the first time it somehow wiped my entire memory card out. Thats 3 years of games and saves that I lost all at the same time. It wasnt a big deal, but now I run a backup of my memory card before I use any new hacked programs on my ps2.

But Like I said, I would rather have the space for games. ANd since I am too lazy to swap CD's every time I want to play snes, or swap back to get to my hdloader I gifured this would be a perfect solution.

8. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

Forget the KL method, this ps1 method is better. saves me alot of space since all the exploits and roms are on the PS1 disc!

9. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

so you put JUST "PS2menu.elf" on your MC, then made your .CNF file on your cd say

boot2 = mc0:/PS2MENU.ELF;1
    VER = 1.10 (?)
    vmode = NTSC

Then once you are in PS2menu running from the memory card you just open up the cdrom "browser" (so to speak) and then select the .ELF file you feel like running from there?

This way then you mc only has a 250 kb elf file on it instead of all the elf files? Is that what you mean?

I think I might have to try this method. Although I kind of like the gui of the keyloader. is there somewhere I can see some screen shots of PS2menu?

ALso what loader do you use to load the ps2menu onto your mc? I suspect I could just take the one packed with kl and change the "FILES" folder to ONLY contain ps2menu.elf then it should load that all by itself.

Is this the same aproach you used? and would my boot CD work the way I think if my CNF file said what I just typed? Or do I need something different on there?

10. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

One quick question. When you point your CNF file to the mc0 Do you need the command to read

boot2 = mc0:/FILES/BOOT.ELF;1

OR

boot2 = mc0:/BOOT.ELF;1

Since its seems to be ONLY the contents of the "FILES" folder that actually get moved over. But does it keep a "FILES" folder on the MC?

11. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

Ok, I finally abandoned the idea of needing ps2menu on my MC. I just made it my boot elf right off the CD. So now on my cd I have all my Snes roms, and just about every other .elf program you can get. SO when I turn the PS2 on it loads into ps2menu, then from there I just select the cdrom as my source and boot off the elfs I need from there.

One problem I have though is that I really dont like the user interface for ps2menu. I would much prefer to get KL running this same way. I like the idea of only needing to push one button on the PS2 to get my program to work. Especially since my wife also uses the PS2, but only to play the Snes. So when I have to explain to her eto push R2, then select this, then scrool down to that and press that, then........ Its a lot harder than just saying "Wait till this screen boots up and press X"

So back to my original question does anyone have KeyLauncher running right off a CD, and have your .ELF files on that same CD? If so how did you do it?

12. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

I searched but couldnt find anything on running KL from the cd.
    Its good you got ps2menu working, how did you run it as boot file from the cd?

13. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

I just threw every .elf that I had on a cd. Then I made a bunch of file folders for my Snes roms. ( I have them sorted that way) and tyhrew them on there. Then I just mude a .CNF file on the cd as well. It made it say

boot2 = cdrom0:/BOOT.ELF;1
    ver = 1.10
    vmode = NTSC

Then I renamde the ps2menu.elf to BOOT.ELF

So now when the PS2 boots it just loads it right off the cd. Now I am NOT wasting any space on my memory card for any of this stuff.

14. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

OK, I FINALLY got what I was looking to do, done!

I abandoned the keyloader in favor of LAUNCHELF

It is very similar to KL, only it doesnt use a .DAT extension on it. So I just threw it on a CD, made a folder for ALL my snes roms, then put every .elf program known to man for the PS2 onto the same CD.

I made a .CNF file for the boot up that pointed at launchelf.elf as my main boot. It goes into there and then I get one screen that has buttons that can be pushed to load the different elfs. I also set the timer to 60 seconds and if you dont push anything in that time it auto loads up the snesstation. So now all my wife has to do is turn the power on to the PS2 and in about 1 minute 30 seconds she is in the snes and ready to play the roms. So there is no input from her end at all.

The good thing is that pressing select on the controller allows me to transfer stuff from ANYthing on the PS2 to anywhere else. This allows me to put stuff onto my HDD, as well as suposedly transfer game saves from my MC to the HDD.

I must say I am more than impressed, and I did it all withought wasting ANY space on my memory card. SO I still only need one instead of 2.

All in All I am really happy.

If anyone else wants a similar setup then let me know and I will post a little more detail about what I have on the disk and how I made it work.

15. jonesjack

jonesjack Member

Stinky_1, if you can provide more details and what was needed that would be great.

16. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

Here it is in step by step form

1) Download this program (Its Launchelf) http://www.ps2-scene.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29082

2) open it up and unpack the "BOOT.ELF" (not the unpacked one) to anywhere you like. I prefer using my desktop.

3) Make a folder, call it LAUNCHELF

4) Put the unpacked BOOT.ELF into this folder.

5) Download snesstation from here (there are other places to get it but this is the first one I found)
    http://turdinc.kicks-ass.net/Msntv/ps2/snesEMU.html

6) Open the folder and unpack the SYSTEM.CNF file and SNES_EMU.ELF to your LAUNCHELF folder

7) Download Keylauncher from here ( There is some useful stuff packed in it)
    http://www.siirlabs.com/ps2dev/kl/release/ps2-keylauncher-0.2+-image_USA.rar

8) Open the .RAR file and then use ISO buster or other iso tool to open the contents of the .BIN file.

9) Once inside the .BIN look at the folder that says "FILES", extract that whole folder to your desktop

10) Open the files folder and highlight everything EXCEPT for the following

"KL.DAT"

Right click on it and cut and paste it into your LAUNCHELF folder. You should now have ONLY KL.DAT in the "FILES" folder and EVERYTHING else that WAS in there should now be in your "LAUNCHELF" folder.

11) Grab the folder that ALL your SNES roms are in and copy and paste it into the LAUNCHELF folder.

12) Open Notepad, click "FILE", "OPEN". At the bottom where it says "FILES OF TYPE" select "ALL FILES". Click the desktop icon, then select your LAUNCHELF folder. Now look inside there for your SYSTEM.CNF file. Double click it.

13) Copy the 3 lines below the sentance

BOOT2 = cdrom0:\BOOT.ELF;1
    VER = 1.00
    VMODE = NTSC

14) Highlight ALL the contents of your Notepad window, right click on it and then select PASTE. You should now see everything in step 13 is now pasted into your notepad window. Close it and say "YES" when it asks if you want to save the changes.

15) Open your favorite burning software and put a CD in it.

16) Burn it to a CD

17) Put it in your PS2 with your "NO SWAP MOD CHIP" and turn it on. You should boot the the PS2 screen and a few seconds later you should be in LAUNCHELF.

18) Press "SELECT" on the controller.

19) Now you are able to assign different keys on your controller to start a certain app. I only have it set for Snes and HDloader as my 2. I dont care about the other programs.

20) I also set my default program as SNES and put the timer to 30 seconds. So when I turn the PS2 on if I dont select any other button it boots into Snes (for my wife to play). Otherwise I can select my program (HDloader) within the 30 seconds.

And that should be it. Let me know if you have any problems.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2005
  17. 2003COBRA

2003COBRA Member

Do you overwrite the boot.elf from LaunchELF with the KeyLauncher boot.elf?

18. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

no you absolutly do NOT want to overwrite your launchelf BOOT.ELF file. That is the one that we want to load. You want nothing to do with keylauncher. The only thing you want from there is the other .ELF files that are usefull for making a Boot CD for the PS2.

I am thinking I may make a image file of what you want and hosting it on my website. Then you would just need to drop your snes roms in to complete it.

19. 2003COBRA

2003COBRA Member

I got it working, but having problems with PS2Link.

Thanks Stinky

20. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

you need to modify the .dat file for that to work. You have to do that before you put it on the cd though