1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SNES Station can't read roms

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Wagz, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Wagz

Wagz Regular member

I have a v7 ps2 with a fliptop lid, and I can get SNES station to boot but when the menu starts up there doesn't appear to be and files in my ROM folder (There should be about 300 files in there). I think the problem may be that the roms aren't the right format, but I'm wondering if how I can tell what format my roms are in and if there's any way to convert the to .smc or something compatible with SNES station.

PS - I know my roms aren't corrupt because I can play them on the computer.

2. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

what format are the roms? put the disk in your pc and check, all my roms are zipped and they work fine.

3. Wagz

Wagz Regular member

I finaly figured it out, after burning about 10 coasters.
    After having so many problems I decided to list them and say how I solved them below.

1) At first I was using cdgenps2 to create and .iso image that I burned using Roxio (I know it's a crap program), the swap magic disk said the burn was good, but it couldn't get past the black screen. I read in various forums that they had less problems when they used .bin files so I used cdgenps2 to create image, and I read as well that the CD needs to be burnt in "mode 2" which is not the default for Roxio as well as Nero, but it is for CDRwin. Not being able to change this in Nero I downloaded a trial version of CDRwin and burned the .bin files at 1X speed. This however, still did not work with swap magic, I needed to swap with CDLoader first to get SNES-Station to run.

2) Now the SNES-Station would load, but it didn't recognize any of my ROM files. I then read that SNES-Station is only compatible with .SMC .SWC .SFC .FIG and .058 ROM formats. My files however were only listed on windows as "file" format so, thinking my files were in the wrong format, I downloaded inSNESt to find out what format my ROMS were only to find out they were indeed .smc files. Finally to get SNES-Station to read my ROMS I had to rename all my ROMS to .smc on the end (If you have alot of ROMS CKRename is a good program to change your file names). Finally when I burnt the CD like this it worked.

Much of this information I found at http://ps2info.netfirms.com/snesfaq.shtml
    which I found to have a terrific troubleshooting guide, so if you still have problems you may want to check that out.

4. xavierz

xavierz Member

can a DVD-r be used instead of a CD-r? I dont have blank cd-rs

5. Wagz

Wagz Regular member

no, you need to burn the program to cd-r. It's probably possible to burn the program to a cd-r and then burn all the roms to a dvd-r and then swap it once the programs loaded, but i'm not sure. Either way you would need to use a cd-r.

6. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

So SWAPMAGIC cant boot snes-station without cd loader, what else CANT it boot without cd loader??
    Why dont you just put the snes-station elf onto your MC and boot using a PS1 disk? swap magic sounds like a real pain to me, since you have to keep swapping disks.

Ive just installed the ps2menu exploit onto my memory card and since my PS2 CAN play PS1 backups, I burned a customised PS1 trigger cd with all my exploits and ROMS on it, this way I can run anything I want and it cuts the need to swap disks at all : )

7. Wagz

Wagz Regular member

I don't know whether anyones got SNES-Station working with swap magic without using CDLoader, but I know it works on mine only if I use CDLoader. Also I think you cand do with a single swap if you use GameShark or some other sort of disk swapping cd's.
    As for your other method it sounds great, I've just never tried it so can't comment on it.