1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SO confusing!!! Simple method? All in one?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by jlrm365, Mar 29, 2005.

1. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

Hello.

I have backed up my movies, so the children's copies would not be ruined.

I would like to do the same with Playstation games.

I have read the FAQs here and there seem SO many methods for SO many types of disc (with or without this, needing or not needing that).

It's baked my brain!

Game-Cloner is something I have heard of that claims to be able to make backups simply, but are there others? With movies, there are all in one solutions. Does such a thing exist for games?

I really cannot afford to have them ruined, so back ups seem the best solution.

Thanks!

2. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

I've never used (or seen) Game Cloner so i cant say if its any good. The 1st thing you will need is a modchip or swap magic to allow you to boot backups, 2nd you will need to use ether Alcohol 120% or DVD Decrypter to backup the ps games, i use TDK or Verbatim to burn my ps games and they work good most of the time.

3. steimy

steimy Active member

check out this tutorial.
    It is pretty strait forward and easy to follow.
    I suggest DVD Decrypter for the novice. It is free and easy to use, you can also get it on the provided site. As far as the media you use you will get 1000 different answers on that one.
    Phillips, TDK, Ritek G04 are the one's i hearm most good things about.
    http://www.geocities.com/modchipzone/burningps2games.htm

4. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

(Edit: Just notices this in the advertising, when I posted:

http://www.dvdwizardpro.com/copygames.html

Anyone used it?)

Both seem good answers. I'll get back to you on them!

Are there any good emulators for the PC, that will allow me to check the copies on my computer before passing them over?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2005
  5. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

(please see below)

6. williej

williej Regular member

Why not use HD Advance 2.0? You will need to get a HD (at least 40gb is recommended), a network adapter and a copy of HD Advance. All of that should run you under $100, and you can just about rip most games to the HD. And ... you can save your precious optical laser with minimal wear and tear. Plus, load times are cut down significantly. And ... you can save your games.

I was fortunate enough to have all of the accessories and just needed to buy HD Advance. I have nothing but praise for the program. It's a beautiful thing - you can have all your games on a standard IDE/ATA drive.

Here are a couple of links to about HD Advance and HD Loader: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/casey.miller/HD Loader/FAQ HD Loader.htm

and for what games are compatible: http://www.ps2hd.com

Hope that helps ...

7. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

I have been to the site Steimy suggested...

( http://www.geocities.com/modchipzone/burningps2games.htm )

... and, despite earlier confusion, have managed to follow the Decrypter method

(it's exactly the same as for a movie).

I have neither chipped my Playstation, or yet bought the ("Swap Magic" & No Solder ModChip) combo.

Because that is so, I have no way to check the copy I made.

Is there any sort of software that can function as an emulator or check that copy?

8. carapalid

carapalid Member

willie j, that link you posted about the hd loader was AWESOME ;)

thank you very much for that. i made a pdf file of it...and also printed a hard copy...good for future reference ;)

hoping to ask you one question...i heard there are two ways of setting up a hard drive...the one hard drive from sony (which i think it is internal only, right?) or a third party hard drive, which you can go external with an usb connection, right?

but i noticed on that link you posted that hard drvie was an internal maxtor and it fit inside the ps2. so i guess...you can use the original sony hard drive or a third party hard drive, right?

so...here is my last question...because i am confused...which method is the method that you can save the games directly from you ps2 into your HD without swapping your HD from your ps2 and computer?

i was under the impression that you have to rip the games in your cpu and transfer them onto the HD and then connect the HD to your ps2 to make it work.

if the statement above is correct...is there a WAY out there where you can have the HD attached to your ps2, either an external or internal and just copy the game from your ps2 direclty to your HD?

sorry...i am really confused...the more i read...some stuff i clear up but some other stuff...BLUREDDDDDDDDDDDDDDdd...

thank you in advance for your answers.

carapalid.

9. williej

williej Regular member

>>>>willie j, that link you posted about the hd loader was AWESOME ;)

No prob, glad I could help.

>>>>>hoping to ask you one question...i heard there are two ways of setting up a hard drive...the one hard drive from sony (which i think it is internal only, right?) or a third party hard drive, which you can go external with an usb connection, right?

Lemme tell you ... you can do most HDs external with USBExtreme, but I have heard the transfer rates are hella slow. If you have the Sony HDD, sticking in the back of the old skool PS2 is the best option. I have yet to experiment with the Sony HDD in a USB enclosure ... but I am sure someone on this forum will try it eventually ...

>>>>>>but i noticed on that link you posted that hard drvie was an internal maxtor and it fit inside the ps2. so i guess...you can use the original sony hard drive or a third party hard drive, right?

That cat used a Maxtor, but ... this link:

http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/

will let you know what HDs are compatible with the PS2. I have 2 HDs ... one's an official Sony HDD and the other is a Seagate Barracuda ... just read my sig for the exact model. It's 300 gigs ... a lot of space.

>>>>>>so...here is my last question...because i am confused

Uninformed, bro ... not confused.

>>>>>>>...which method is the method that you can save the games directly from you ps2 into your HD without swapping your HD from your ps2 and computer?

You can use one of four methods:

1. HD Loader (discontinued)
    2. HD Advance (my method of choice)
    3. HD Loader memory card exploit (I have heard about this method cleaning your memory card's clock)
    4. USB Extreme

A lot of people swear by the 'free' memory card exploit, but I have heard about it ruining people's memory cards. If that's the case, you have to go to Best Buy/Circuit City/Wal-Mart and [bold]drop $25[/bold] on a new memory card. You can get HD Advance shipped for $30 and you get a CD and a DVD. [bold]So, it's really $15 a pop. That 'free' exploit may cost you a memory card.[/bold] I will stick to what I know.

Anyhow ... HD Loader/HD Advance (Sony sued HD Loader, so they stopped making it ... but HD Advance picked it right up and added some cool features. If you have an official Sony HDD, and you look at the HD Advance filez, they are actually HD Loader files) are the methods I am most familiar with and they have given me over a 93 percent success rate (one game was scratched so badly it wouldn't rip). You simply hook the HD to the network adaptor (NA from now on) and it will power the HD. Then, you just turn on your PS2 and insert your HDL/HDA CD or DVD and let the system boot up. The first time you do it, it will ask to format your HD. Hit yes ... then, it will take a couple minutes to configure it. Then, you are set. You can convert most games ... just refer to the link in the earlier posts - and rip the games.

Now, this is where a PC with a DVD drive comes in handy. Normally, it takes 20-30 minutes to rip a game (3-4gb) to the HD with your PS2. With your PC? Under 9 minutes normally. See the advantage? Plus, you can also add ISOs to the HDs as well. I will tell you about that later ... but you have to have a program like WinHIIP or PS2Handiness to see your HD. And you need a 480bit LBA patch in order to see over 137gbs of space on your HD, if you are using something like a 200-250+ HD. But the main advantage is ... time.

After you rip the games, you need to check various sites for modes. You highlight a game and hit select to change the mode. Some games use no modes ... other need a combination of them. Most games just need one enabled. [bold]IMPORTANT:[/bold] Without modes enabled on some games, they will not work.

After that, you are set for smooth sailing.

>>>>>>i was under the impression that you have to rip the games in your cpu and transfer them onto the HD and then connect the HD to your ps2 to make it work.

It's much faster using your PC to transfer games. The PS2's drive is much, much slower.

>>>>>>if the statement above is correct...is there a WAY out there where you can have the HD attached to your ps2, either an external or internal and just copy the game from your ps2 direclty to your HD?

Yeah, get the above programs. You can try the free exploits, but I am like 'Hay, I am saving mad cash by transferring games to my HD. Why not pay just $30 for a program that is saving me several hundred dollars?'

I can understand most folks want something for nothing, but it's a hassle to do the memory card exploit ... and just plain cheap. I recommend buying the software - you rip a new game and you have assured yourself (unless the HD crashes) you won't have to buy that game again ...

>>>>>thank you in advance for your answers.

Hit me with a PM if you need more detailed help.

10. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

Back to the matter at hand...

Is there any sort of software that can function as an emulator or check that copy I made, so I can see if it was a dud or worked?

11. dg089678

dg089678 Guest

I would strongly reccomend dvd decyrpter

12. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

For what?

Have you been following the thread?

I have used it and seem to have made a successful backup, according to Decrypter.

I would now like to see, because I do not have a chipped Playstation or Swap Magic, if there is any software that will allow me to check the copy and see if it's good.

I plan on getting these things but want to know if the process has worked first.

13. williej

williej Regular member

There are hacked versions of Swag Magic out there or just buy a copy. It's under $30 ... and I am sure your games cost you more than that ... so just pull out the wallet and get a copy. If you could test it, why would you need to buy the software?

14. dg089678

dg089678 Guest

If you get swap magic do not get it from www.divineo.com Those bastards ripped me off I got beaten up crappy discs. They promised me a refund, I never got it, so i had to file a paypal case and they decided in his favor, because "paypal cases only apply to items that havent been shipped, not empty packages or items that are signifficintly not as described.

15. williej

williej Regular member

Oh, that's jacked up. How you tried linker4u? I used consolepoint and they were a pleasure to work with ... I am gonna get swap magic soon ... I wanna play with it.

16. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

williej:
    I reckon you are right. I've toyed with the idea and reckon I'll go for a copy of Swap Magic.

dg089678:
    Thanks for the warning but, though Canadian, I am in the UK and guess it will be less of an issue.

Anyone:

The official Swap Magic 3 site is:

http://www.swapmagic3.com/

but I am unsure of what is needed, re: Swap Magic v3.6.

The site makes mention of:

- Magic Switch
    - Flip Top Cover (Magic Case)
    - Slide Tool

It seems the Slide Tool is the easiest method of the three, as it removes the need for a modchip at all and does not require any change to the Playstation itself, which the other two appear to (therefore "keeps the warranty intact").

Correct?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  17. ThaSunGod

ThaSunGod Guest

HMMM.. the Hard drive idea sounds pretty good. question.. so i can use any hard drive? as long as its compatible? cause i havva external USB 2.0 Western Digital (WDC WD80 0BB-OOCAA1) *Device Description XP style", could i just order the discs and hook my Hard drive up to my ps2? i have the slimeline version.

18. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

(See above)

I would like to know which is easiest, as I would be much more able to implement such a solution as described above and to tell others how also.

Thanks.