1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So frustrated! Can't get Shrink to read my DVDFab files

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by nlm1976, Feb 15, 2007.

1. nlm1976

nlm1976 Member

I've been backing up my episodic discs of The Golden Girls tv shows and I've had no problems until now. This particular disc is giving me problems. It's in mint condition so I have no idea why. Shrink won't read it...it comes up with an error about half way through the original quick analyzing...DVD Decrypter can only get about 25% through and it gives me errors. DVDFab was able to rip it to my hard drive but now when I try to open it in shrink to shrink and burn it, it gets stuck in the quick analysis again...the message I'm getting is:

DVD Shrink encountered and error and cannot continue.
    Invalid Data file "C:/The Golden Girls/VTS_01_1.VOB

What is wrong with this file? And how can I convert it to something it can read??
    PS-I just did a main movie decription, not the full disc.

2. mskimmy

mskimmy Guest

Hi,I too have had this problem in the pass.Go to a search engine and type in DVD Clone and stroll down list until you find ones that give you a free trial and download those ones.I had Hostel way back when I started having problems and downloaded a DVD Clone through the Yahoo search engine and I used a free trial one and sure enough it copied it for me but that was awhile ago and don't remember which one it was but do know it was free for 15 days.Hope this helps.

Kimberley

3. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

nlm1976

Shrink will do that when there's a possible non-compliance issue with the video file structure or a video title set was incorrectly read/ripped.

First, make sure your ripping using the current version of DVDFab (3.0.8.0)

http://www.dvdfab.com/mlink/download.php?g=DECRYPTER

Since you already have the video files on your hard drive, you could try and correct the file structure using FixVTS, its a small app and easy to use, you can get it here along with a guide on use.

http://download.videohelp.com/FixVTS/

Process the .VOB files thru FixVTS (Do full DVD and make sure every thing is checked) then use shrink to open the corrceted video files, hopefully it will work.

Alternatives for correcting the files:
    VobEdit
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=VobEdit

IFOedit
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=9

OR try
    ripit4me (an all in one app)
    http://www.ripit4me.org/

4. nlm1976

nlm1976 Member

For some reason my DVDFab is only 3.0.5.5 which I find strange since I just downloaded it a couple weeks ago. Will try to use the link you gave me for an update.
    I have Ripit4me but as of late am having problems with the FixVTS program. For some reason it won't let me upgrade and I haven't figured it out yet.
    For now, I'll probably just try to upgrade DVDFab and then just redo the rip. More time consuming but seems easier.
    Thanks. I'll check back if I have more problems.

5. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

-Download the latest version from the link provided above.
    -Delete the folder that the old version is located it.
    -You may need to clean/remove some registry entries associated with it, so download and install a safe and easy to use registry cleaner called ccleaner(free).

http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds.aspx

Download the Basic or Slim versions and install. Run ccleaner and select the "Issues" button and then select "Scan for Issues" when it finishes scanning select "Fix Selected Issues", then "Fix All Selected Issues".

The Issues button is a registry cleaner and does not need to be run often. A good time to run it is after applications have been uninstalled.

-Now create a folder for the new version of FixVTS and place it in there, direct ripit4me to the location of the new version and you should be ok.

6. nlm1976

nlm1976 Member

Thanks so much. You've been extremely helpful! :)
    I've upgraded the newest DVDFab and trying that. I changed my mind and did try to do a FixVTS but as I suspected it didn't help. I'll grateful you gave me the instructions on how I might be able to fix that problem as well. I might be able to kill 2 birds with one message. :)
    BTW...thank you Kimberly for your suggestion...if what I'm doing now doesn't work, I'll probably try that...as well as file it away for future reference. :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  7. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

@nlm1976,

U can run the Folder u rip with DVDFab with VobBlanker too, before u use shrink.

Get VobBlanker here, it looks complicated when u open it but it is really not, BTW just follow this guide(just skip down to the part were Alkohol starts to use VobBlanker.
    heres the GUIDE

BTW what dvd are u trying to do?

PS. fixVTS should have worked.

8. nlm1976

nlm1976 Member

It's the 3rd disc of the 4th season.
    BTW...when you guys rip something to your hard drive, what software does your system default to? Mine defaults to Nero Showtime which I absolutely hate! I'm tempted to uninstall the Nero Suite altogether b/c I don't use it outside of shrink and it will install what it needs to complete for me. The extra Nero was a huge waste of money for me.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  9. nlm1976

nlm1976 Member

I deleted all my Ripit4me and FixVTS files and started new. I thought it was going to work but it gave me repeated error messages about the disc being dirty or scratched...I cleaned it, tried again and it wouldn't even rip all the way through. Now I'm trying again with DVDFab (the updated version) and it's taking forever! It's been working for an hour and 14 minutes and it's only 21.63% done. I should have tried working with the old files. I let it go on DVDFab last night while I was asleep so I have no idea how long it took. Hopefully this'll finish even if it takes forever and I can use the new FixVTS on it. If not, I'm going to give up. I've spent way too much time on this and I'm not getting anywhere. I get so pissed off with these DVDs having all these problems with copying them. I own the damn things so I shouldn't have to go through all this BS just to copy them! I should be able to protect my investment without all this hassle. And the newer the stuff, the harder it's becoming. It really burns me up!