1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I ditched the DVDxCopy but still fumbling with DVD shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Bylahi34, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Bylahi34

Bylahi34 Guest

I am getting so discouraged.

I notice there arent alot of 321 fans here on these forums and I see all you fine people having such great luck with DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter and Nero but...

I can't get it to work for me =(

I have used all the guides but am still not having anyluck. With DvdxCopy I just clicked and within 30-40 mins I had a nice backup and used the 321 gone to get rid of the watermark.

I trying to get it right but I admit I'm impatient with the time it takes. And then after all that...it stil turns into a frisbee.

Here is the routine I have been doing.

1. Use DVD Shrink (latest version)
    I click "full Disk" and then "open disk"
    I deselect foreign languages and then Select "backup"
    thst process takes 30-40 mins alone.

2. I then use DVD Decrypter, choose my source file and
    then let it do that thing it does which takes yet
    another 30 minutes.

3. Finally I use nero to back-up the copy which takes 20-40 to burn

so using the low end of the estimates it could take an hour in a half to complete 1 backup. Is this a typical time frame??

Im getting so discouraged I am ready to toss in the towel.

2. viper6699

viper6699 Guest

forget about decrypter for the time being

open shrink......select......edit then preferences
    click on "file i/o" tab and make sure "burn with nero" is ticked. then click ok. shrink is now ready to burn without question with nero.

do you have a dvd rom drive as well as your burner???

if so place your source disc in rom drive and blank media in burner.

now try the process again as you have been doing and come back and let us know how you get on.

viper

3. Bylahi34

Bylahi34 Guest

Thanks Viper I am gonna go try that now and I do have a DVD Rom drive on my pc =)

I get back to you with my results!
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Micro Advantage 8DVDRW-B13
    Using DVDXCOPY

The only stupid question is one not asked =)[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2004
  4. viper6699

viper6699 Guest

it dont make a huge difference....just means you dont have to swap discs part way through.

5. pa104inf

pa104inf Regular member

Your times are normal as far as I can see. As stated previously, do not use DVDDECRYPTER. I also understand that if you have DVD X COPY you can get the RF version for free. Yes, you can have both the ripper version and the ripper free version on the machine at the same time (just don't put the ripper free version in the same directory as the ripper version). I use CLONEDVD which takes about the 15 minutes to burn a DVD. You could use the ripper-free version of DVD X COPY to see if it burns any faster. I bought DVD X COPY PLATINUM but haven't gotten the ripper free version because I never use it.

6. Bylahi34

Bylahi34 Guest

Yahoo! I sucessfully backed up Signs! Thanks a bunch viper! But it still took over an hour in a half to complete the process is this standard?

I got a sucessful back up so I am a happy camper. Is there anyway to speed up the process?

And what is the RF version of dvdxcopy? I no longer have this program myself as it came pre-installed on my comp with no disk and I deleted the program because I wasnt sure if it was legal or not.

7. Bylahi34

Bylahi34 Guest

I must admit though I did enjoy the no-frills apprach with dvdxcopy and it took nearly 1/4 of the time it does backing up with dvd shrink
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Micro Advantage 8DVDRW-B13
    Using DVDXCOPY

The only stupid question is one not asked =)[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2004
  8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi guys, how is everyone ?

Good, glad you're all great -

Times:
    The time it takes to rip, edit comress and burn can only be measured if the PC's are the same and the DVD being backed up are the same.

First - You have 3 mousie clicky things to go from start to finish using DVD Shrink, with XCopy you have 4 clicks.

What's that ScubaPete, are you freakin crazy ??

Nope, I'm not crazy.

XCopy, One click to answer the question, one click to agree to contract, one more to select "Entire Disc" and one to start the process.

DVD Shrink, One click to "Open Disc" (Full Disc" is already selected by Default), click two to "Backup" and the last click "OK" starts the process.

COSTS:
    XCopy - 79.99 (about)
    DVD Shrink - Free (But you knew that)

Quality:
    XCopy backs up the whole movie - some quality loss.
    DVD Shrink, you said you un-checked some languages, less material to compress, better quality. Better control with DVD Shrink.

Movie Only:
    XCopy, 3 clicks.
    DVD Shrink, 4 clicks.

ScubaPete's conclusion, Pretty close guys :p)

Pete

I find your times hard to believe as I have 3 DVD Shrink versions and 2 versions of XCopy. I will say that XCopy was slightly faster, about 4 minutes. I was processing "SabreTooth" from rip to burned disc. DVD Shrink used Nero because I wanted both programs doing a DVD rip to VOB's as opposed to having DVD Shrink using DVD Decrypter in the ISO mode. Feel frre to copy my experiment.

9. Bylahi34

Bylahi34 Guest

lol your pretty funny scuba, and your correct 4 clicks to end.

It could be my comp but my times vary so greatly between Shrink and Xcopy I have to wonder the following is my system in a nutshell-

AMD Athlon XP 1100MHz
    160 GiG 7200 RPM Western Digital HD
    512 DDR
    MicroAdvantage 8DVDRW-B13
    Benq 16x DVD Rom
    Geforce2 Ti 64DDR

10. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Are you using the Deep Analysis for Shrink? That will add a fair bit to the whole process but gives you much better quality in the end.

11. frisk

frisk Member

@Bylahi34

you don't need to do step 2 if using dvdshrink

1. Use DVD Shrink (latest version)
    I click "full Disk" and then "open disk"
    I deselect foreign languages and then Select "backup"
    thst process takes 30-40 mins alone.

3. Finally I use nero to back-up the copy which takes 20-40 to burn

that's it

12. pa104inf

pa104inf Regular member

DVD X COPY PLATINUM RF program is DVD X COPY PLATINUM without the ripper. It is available free of charge to anybody who has purchased the original version of DVD X COPY PLATINUM. The RF version does not put the Warning screen or the watermark on any backups that you make. They have also fixed some problems that appeared in the ripper version of DVD X COPY. You can use it to burn DVD's after deencrypting it with DVDSHRINK or another program.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2004
  13. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

pa104inf, what would be the reason for using DVD XCOPY Platinum RF, or the the ripper version, for anything? DVD Shrink does a great job and offers more options than any version of XCOPY. DVD Shrink will decode and burn (using Nero in background) on its own.

The only reason that I can think of, to use DVD XCOPY anything, is if you have DVD Shrink burn the files to your hard drive, and you don't have NERO on your computer but you already own DVD XCOPY. Otherwise, there would be no reason to use it. The final ripper version of XCOPY Platinum just plain didn't work the way it was supposed to, and using the ripper free version to burn something that was encoded by a free program just shows to me,IMHO,what a rip-off XCOPY Platinum was in the first place.

BTW, I do own DVD XCOPY Platinum (expensive), and I used it 5 times. I then found DVD Shrink (free) and have never looked back. I also have Nero 6 Ultra and Roxio EMC7.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2004
  14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

frisk,

You really don't have to click "Full Disk" it's operating by default -

As far as times, either doing deep analyzing or stuck in PIO mode instead of DMA -

"P"

15. Bylahi34

Bylahi34 Guest

Bah ok, so I got a bit over confident after the first success. The next 2 backups I did were garble.

I used the same methods and the same media
    DVD Shrink
    Nero
    Prodisc 4X DVD-R 4.7GB

when I use the dvdinfopro program I notice in it under the media tab it says

"drive doesn't support media code". What does that mean?

Also in DVD Shrink I get this message when I try to back up another movie

"DVD appears to be R.C.E. Protected if you CORRECTLY specify the region for which this DVD was intended, DVD Shrink will remove the R.C.E. protection.

OK --- who is R.C.E. and what did he do with my dvd! lol, ok off the wall humor...but seriously what is this and how do I about correctly specifying the region.

And another question, should I not be using my computer while this backup process is going on.

again thanks for all the feedback!

Michelle

16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Michelle, I love your sence of humor, you'll fit right in here :)

R.C.E. is your copyright proection/region thingie - just choose the region that you're in. USA = Region 2.

Secondly, whenever encoding or burning remember to -

“STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER !” Clear your throat and yell, “Go Baby Go ! ” “Let me hear you say it now, Who’s your Daddy Now ? A reminder, Do not fold, spindle, mutilate, molest nor fondle the keyboard. GO AWAY ! Keep all fingers and Toes pointing to another room or if possible, another COUNTRY and AWAY from your PC !!!

(I say there young lady, have I made myself clear? Have I gotten my point across ? I'd hate to have been mis-understood :D)

Aaaahhh, I see you noding your head in agreement, such a really good Newbie are you :p)

I really liked your programs - everything - It's too bad you're using crappy media -

When doing DVD backups, one of the hardest thinks you'll ask your PC to do for you - Good media is a MUST !!!

Memorex is a good example, figures as high as 50% coasters have been reported (One member bought a stack of 50 and got 23 good burns.), not what I would call an impressive record. Many times you’ll get a “cyclic redundancy error”. This message can mean that your discs are scratched or dirty, it can also mean that your “cheap” media won’t be accepted by your burner :-(

Let’s get your media straightened out -

1.* Cheap media skips and stutters, freezes, fuzzules, pixelats, palpitates, partially jams, partially rams, won’t play, doesn’t pay, won’t burn or won’t be accepted, may be rejected and even our old standby, refuses to be recognized. :-( (The preceding evokes LL)

Inexpensive media is great for text, Data, Spreadsheets, .Jpg and .Gif pictures and is good even for MP3 music BUT for DVD backups - BLAaaaaaT! It SUCKTH in an extremely Big-th way !

2. A good grade media is needed for DVD reproduction !
    Ritek G04's or Verbatim are what we’re looking for OR any media boasting “Advanced AZO Metal Dye”, this indicates a superior dye application, while they are a bit “pricey” they are acceptable.

Prices online from Meritline.com have gotten Ritek G04 down below a dollar a disc -
    Question - If you make coasters out of 3 cheap discs and good copies from 3 Verbatim discs or 3 Ritek G04 discs - which ones then will you say are too expensive ?

Bear in mind, Memorex, Fuji, Sony, TDK, Orange Pack and others are quite good for your MP3 music, picture archives, Spread sheets, Data and your text backups and archives, they just don’t work well for DVD backups.
    Remember, for DVD backups, purchasing inexpensive media is a gamble, some people win, the majority of people lose, varying amounts but, they still lose :-(

Using good grade media can guarantee you one thing to an absolute certainty, it surely cannot hurt.

A reminder, play your DVD in your DVD-ROM. It’s easier for your PC to read the disc and it is much easier on your DVD burner. Constant stopping and starting of your burner required to read a disc could cause premature wearing out of your drive.

Sure hopes that helps, if you have more questions, Please feel free to stop back :p)

Pete

BTW, Welcome to our little Club :)

17. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Isn't USA Region 1?

18. Johnny894

Johnny894 Member

Isn't USA Region 1?

Certainly is... I am in region-2 land (Europe). Hello all... my first post, crossing my fingers hoping that my first backup is gonna work :)

19. ellizit

ellizit Guest

I am using dvd shrink with nero 6 and my "total time" as stated by shrink when it's done with everything and my dvd is done is anywhere from 1 hour to 1 hour and 20 minutes.

20. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Alright, Alright -

REGION 1 !

ScubaPete Blew it !

Soooo Sorry,

Pete