1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So if all I wanna do is play back-ups is there a no modchip solution?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by SRCP, Jul 14, 2007.

1. SRCP

SRCP Member

I was considering the DMS Lite modchip because it doesn't need soldering but I've heard it's not that good, or is it?

What would be the best method for me, I have a V12 Slim PS2.

2. tdude511

tdude511 Member

Check out the first link in my sig, it's a great guide and I even helped with one of the methods =D I have a v12 too so I'm sure it will work.

3. SRCP

SRCP Member

Hey, well I had read that before but I have a few things to say:

- Exactly which action replay do I need? I see an EVO being sold, does that one work?

- I could do all that stuff that's in the guide, but what advantage does that have over buying something like Swap Magic or those Magic Keys. Also to what extent do all this methods work? Do they play imports and almost all games?

- I also read the 2nd link about PSX back-ups but seemed like people were having some trouble, I read about 20 posts total. Is that the definitive way of playing PSX back-ups? or is there a better way?

- I don't care much for price, as long as it's not a soldering mod-chip, if there are easier ways of playing both ps2 and psx back-ups, please tell me.

- I have read a lot before making this post, I see many ways of doing it but I can't quite decide on one, I still had some questions.

Thanks for the help.

4. tdude511

tdude511 Member

1) EVO should work, check out the box and make sure it has the media player function.

2) Swap magic takes much less time to perform the method and has to be bought online. As for action replay, you can buy it at your local gamestop, and it supports a wider range of games. Sometimes you even need to use cogswap in addition to swap magic to play games, and the AR method always uses cogswap.

3) The method works for me, if you have trouble you can always post in that thread =D just make sure you follow things correctly and that you find the ELF down the page.

4) Neither of these are "mod chips," per se. They are considered boot discs/softmods. Mod chips are the actual computer chips of course =D. Nearly all mod-chips require soldering. There are a few for the big PS2s that don't, but I've never heard of solderless chips for the slim version.

Feel free to ask as much as you want, I'm here to help =)

Don't forget that you will also need a method to make the ps2 not detect that the lid is open, but that is explained in the first tut i believe.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  5. SRCP

SRCP Member

Hey man I really appreciate your help.

The no-solder modchip I meant is this one:

http://www.modchip.com/ps2/dms4eziorder.php

Is that one any good? At the beginning it says it works with ps2s v11 and down but then if you scroll down it says it works all the way up to 15 or 16 and in the pdf manual there are installation intructions for v12.

Anyway is that any better than swap magic?

And if I do get swap magic, I would have to get a breaker pro disc to play PSX games? Or follow the instructions in your second link?

Also for the cog thingie, when used in conjunction with the swap magic it allows you to play games that you couldn't previously play with swap magic alone?

And my last question is, if I get swap magic and still want the cog disc. In that first link to the tutorial, which steps would I have to follow to make the cog disc and which steps should i leave out. I'm trying to see if I can figure it out but I haven't been able to.

6. tdude511

tdude511 Member

Woah! That's awesome, I didn't know there was a solderless chip out there for v12+. If you have the money, I would get that over anything. Just be careful when installing =)

If you get swap magic, all you need to do to play PS1 games is to go right to step 3 in the psx guide, using psxloader.elf and the ps2 exploit util.

As for the whole swap magic/cogswap thing...
    Swapmagic should be able to play nearly all your games. However there are a few that it has funky compatible issues with. Check http://swapmagicfix.com/ for more details. Some games require that you use cogswap loader or cd loader along with SM. All the isos and instructions you will need for using them with SM are on that site.

So the lowdown?
    Chip: Boots directly, no soldering required, full compatibility, however pricy
    SM: Cheaper, requires swapping disc, need a way to make ps2 open undetected, sometimes needs additional boot disc

If you have the money, go with the chip. Make sure you look around for the same chip at other locations though because I have heard of people having some trouble with that site before.

7. steimy

steimy Active member

Skip the Swap Magic junk and just have good mod chip installed by a pro installer like Teammodders.com
    It is a much better method for playing your back up discs. And has many advantages over Swap Magic.

you want a DMS4 pro and not a DMS4 Lite if you get one.
    Crystal Chip V2.0 is about the best around right now for a feature rich chip with an active development team. If you really want to trick out your machine have it put in a HD Combo case and it will then have dual fans to keep it cooler, and you will be able to install an internal hard drive.

and on a last note, ALWAYS have a laser fix soldered in if you plan to mod your V12 in any way, especially a mod chip. They are about $10 at most.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007