1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So.. M3DS, R4DS or DSTT

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by holcar, Jan 27, 2008.

1. holcar

holcar Guest

Is there any major differences? From what I gather R4DS seems to be the most popular? Am I correct in saying they are all pretty much similar? You can drag and drop ROMS onto these things and play away as well as a load of other stuff such as play MP3 and movies?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

2. DDRgod922

DDRgod922 Regular member

r4ds and m3 are pretty much complete clones of each other. r4ds is updated alot more faster then the m3. i personally use the R4 and i LOVE it and so glad i choose it over the M3.

3. holcar

holcar Guest

I have also just found out about loads of others.. cycloDS among them. Apparently SDHC is not supported by r4ds, will it ever be? These newer carts support SDHC basically means higher capacity micro SD's like 8GB and stuff.

Is there one cart that rules over them all?

4. DDRgod922

DDRgod922 Regular member

cyclone, from what i herd is a bit more buggy then r4 and m3 also a lil more expensive -_- r4 might be able to upgrade to sdhc when they upgrade to kernel but im not too sure of that (some1 please confirm that)

5. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

Good luck finding either of the three cards for a cheap price. The DSTT does everything that the M3 Simply and R4DS do but at about $10USD cheaper.

In any case, all of those cards are in shortage. A new card called EDGE DS. From what everyone says, it's a clone of the CycloDS and it supports SDHC. It's also sold for under $30USD. As of right now, it's the only DS card that's not in horribly short stock... In other words, it's probably the only card you could get without paying twice the price from a reseller.

6. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

depending on how much space you want, r4 and m3 simply are reliable. m3 real supports SDHC.

but in all honesty, 30+ USD for a card that plays music, videos, text files, and plays backed-up ROMS is suriously not expensive, comparing to how much a single DS game cost (30 USD).

7. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

They're all fine cards, if I had to re-purchase, I'd go for a CycloDS, or go for that new Edge card, we'll see how reviews come up...

I think the real killer will be when 4GB+ cards fall under $20USD a card. Hopefully by the end of the year, we'll see cards like that.

8. holcar

holcar Guest

So CycloDS supports the whole mp3 from the start with drag and drop. Has the moonshell thing or whatever its called? Do all of them?

Also cyclods uses slot2? Is this good bad? Which cards use which slots, why D:?

Im quite new to this :p.

Do all games run flawlessly of all the cards?

Someone just tell me what to buy lol :D

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2008
  9. DDRgod922

DDRgod922 Regular member

they all support mp3, they are all drag and drop, they all have moonshell, they all can boot slot 2 devices which good for playing gba roms. All games will work 100% (some games wont load at first but patches are always made)

there really is no "better" card except r4 doesnt support sdhc -_- its hard for me to let go of my r4 but i really wanna get those sdhc cards so I personally am going for the DSTT

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  10. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

i have an r4 also and im happy with it. 2gb is more than enough for me with games running only at 32mb,64mb, and sometimes 132mb. the only other reason to fill the 2gb up is if your going to put movies on there. and its nice to show off, but really, the quality is only sub par.

11. silk42

silk42 Regular member

I have to agree with most of the others. They're all about the same if you're simply going to play games. If you're looking to play music or videos, then you'll probably want a card that supports SDHC so you can use larger memory cards. Otherwise, the main differences are how the menus look and the frequency that updates are released. Some offer different cheat options, such as the M3 Real has a slow motion feature, but most of the difference are minor (in my opinion).

12. Rtyper

Rtyper Member

agreed, watching movies on your ds isn't the best idea. therefore having over 2 GB on your R4 is not needed.

13. holcar

holcar Guest

think im gonna go with syclods. anyone have anything to say about it? it seems slightly more expensive than the others, but from reviews it looks a good card.

?

14. Butchar

Butchar Member

I've got an M3 DS Real. I'm very happy with it so far even though my intention was to get a supercard DS. www.realhotstuff.com sent me a M3 DS Real WITH the rumble pack and the expansion pack instead of a EZ V 3-1 GBA size cartridge. Saved about 40 bucks either because someone was stupid or they were feeling generous. This has also encouraged my decision to get a DS lite cause everyone says they're worth the money even if you own the old model, and people seem to be supporting the lite over the original more and more as far as accessories go.

Anyway, if all you want your DS to do is play DS games, then I think the M3 DS Real is as good as any. It plays them flawlessly 99% of the time. (Megaman Battle Network for the DS slows down slightly during the intro, and some games tend to crash at certain points if soft reset it activated, namely Zelda Phantom Hourglass, but those are hardly even worth mentioning) Also, there is no patching required. Just drag and drop. Plus you don't even need to have a lot of memory. I've got 1GB on mine and it holds 20 games after using the G6/M3 Trimmer Tool, plus some extra homebrew.

If you want it to play GBA games and have a DSlite, you can also get the expansion pack which I think also doubles as a RAM pack for the DS Browser for I think $20 more, which boots GBA roms off your SD card from the slot-1 M3 DS Real card. You can buy either just the slot-1 or buy both in packs.

Basically, the M3 does what I tell it to do, and excels my expectations. So anyway, that's all I really have to say about that. Basically, the M3 does what I tell it to do, and excels my expectations.

15. DDRgod922

DDRgod922 Regular member

if you want just games, any of them will be fine. usually ppl get attached to the first device they buy, they are all pretty much the exact same. If you want alot of music/videos then get something that supports sdhc (sd cards only go up to 2gb) i have an r4 which doesnt support sdhc and im always maxing out my 2gb micro sd card and always switching movies/songs around all the time so im actually gonna buy a DSTT which will support sdhc at ALL future file systems which theoretically will allow sdhc cards go up to 2tb (yes 2 TERAbytes, 2048gb)

*edit* btw, dont get your hopes up of 2tb micro sdhc cards coming out anytime soon, as of now they only have 8gb. that will def take alot of time and updates on file systems (FAT32 only supports 32gb with sdhc cards as of now i think) to get to 2tb

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008