1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

so sloooow please help me

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by andreandr, Feb 8, 2007.

1. andreandr

andreandr Member

Hello guys!!!!!

Im going nuts.. im freaking out.....
    Im using DVD Shrink.
    why for the back up process it takes more than 4 hours???

Im using version 3.2.0.15

Im using a Intel Pentium III, 928 MHz, 512 RAM.

Windows XP Professional 2002 Service pack 2 .

with my gf's pc it takes kinda 20 minutes. is my pc the problem? how can I encode a dvd faster? It must work faster im sure.. I just dunno how.

thank u in advance

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hi andreandr
    Not the fastest pc specs but 4 hours is a still a bit much.

Check and make sure all your drives are in DMA mode and not PIO - current transfer mode needs to have DMA also. Here's a guide.

Have you done a disc cleanup and defrag very recently? If not do that too - should do on a regular basis anyhow to help keep the pc running smooth.

Might also want to see if any of the quality enhancements are checked in Shrink - can improve quality but will take longer.
    When you click backup click on the quality tab to check.

Check those out and let us know.

3. FFsp42

FFsp42 Regular member

I might suggest to try closing any non-essential programs, like anti-virus and anti-spyware programs. This may slow it down also. Also, don't multi-task while running Shrink. This will slow it down considerably also. Good Luck!

4. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

AV and spyware programs are not gonna slow shrink down to 4 hours, sounds like DMA and PIO issue to me. Follow Binkie's advice. You might also check in the burn window (Options)that you don't have run Shrink set to: run back up in low priority mode!.

5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

All the above. ;) 4 hours sounds long, check the DMA. With a slow processor and only 512MB RAM an XP system with AV can easily start paging (using virtual memory on the hard drive), which will slow things down. My XP system has a 400+ MB requirement at idle with the background apps. Checking the taskmanager should give a clue on that. Definitely don't try to multitask while doing a backup with that system. Being disconnected from the net, it can only help by turning off the AV and second party firewall if you have them.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  6. dean69

dean69 Member

Can someone help me with this please...
    When i first use shrink i had over 60,000mb but now i have only 7,000 anyhelp please guys

Cheers

Dean

7. ZCS626

ZCS626 Regular member

defrag your hard drive, and you probably need to delete all the ripped files from the DVDs off your hard drive as well

8. dean69

dean69 Member

Thanks for the help,but How ..???anyhelp please...

9. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@dean69
    find out where shrink is saving all those shrunken files (the folder) and DELETE them. Then defrag your HDD. If you don't know how to do that then you probably shouldn't be using that pc. Google defragment hard drive and learn how to do something on your own.