1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So sorry, but I just got to ask?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by jackthe, Nov 22, 2004.

1. jackthe

jackthe Member

Ive been reading alot about what type of discs to buy.
    It seems that the advice is to use DVD Identifier to verify manufacture, quality etc...
    Thats all good and well for you experienced guys/gals who know what to look for. But, this does me no good at the store looking at a box of verbatums, sony's, etc and trying to identify "branded" labels looking at the box. And even if you buy online, you still can't check them out with DVD Identifier until you recieve them in the mail. I guess what im asking is this. What brand of discs can I buy at a local store; Bestbuy, Circuit city, even Walmart, That I can expect decent quality. I already bought a box of memorex just thinking the name would be good quality. From what Ive learned so far, I guess I'll be taking them back to the store.

2. plywood9

plywood9 Guest

hello jackthe,

i've been there to.

what i did is went to wal-mart and bought some
    maxwell/or memorex dvd-rw to practice with.so i
    could burn and practice and erase over and over
    there even a little high at wal-mart but, pay
    a little more and use until you get what you
    want.

there has been a lot of talk on these forms about
    "RITEK" G04's they say a lot, i ordered some on-line
    at www.allmediaoutlet.com for about 40cents each
    i got a tracking number the next day they were here
    in 3 days. here's the imformation below:

item# P-DVD-R4XRDLG50 this is for Genuine Ritek Ridata Branded G04 DVD-R 4X Premium Grade 50-Pack $22.50 includes Free Shipping.................................
    OR

item# P-DVD-R4XRDLG100 this is for Genuine Ritek Ridata Branded G04 DVD-R 4X Premium Grade 100-Pack $41.00 also includes free
    Shipping....................................
    the more you buy the cheaper they are

there are several places on the web to buy these,
    allmediaoutlet have these in stock now..........

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2004
  3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Ok here it is if you must go to the store to buy disk's I would recommend the following. STAY AWAY FROM Memorex... :) Go with Maxell, TDK(Can be bad one's here too), Fuji Films(The ones made in Japan), Sony, Pioneer(Good Luck finding these), LeadData(SoSo) Its really hard to say what to buy in the stores because the best media is sold online and not in the stores. You probably can't go wrong with Maxell or Sony Though. The others are hit and miss. A good rule of thumb is to get disk's made in Japan or Singapore as this is where most good disk's come from. Stay away from made in Taiwan, Mexico ect.. There is the exception of the Verbatim Data Life plus Disk which is made in Taiwan by Mitsubishi Media Corp who produce very good disk. Now that I have you totaly confused on wht to buy :) I just thought I would give you little info to help you decide on what to purchace. I would say buy as few as you can at first to try the media and if it seems to work fine then your all set...

Good Luck

4. jackthe

jackthe Member

crap plywood9
    I wish i would of read your post befor I ordered. I went ahead and ordered some ritek g04's but I had to pay shipping. Your site is offering free shipping.
    just my luck.
    Thanks everyone, I think Im getting the hang of what quality to look for.

5. plywood9

plywood9 Guest

ok jackthe

well i went with those beause of the good words from the forms here. but like i said i went to wallyworld
    to get a couple.........at the time allmediauotlet was the only people that have them in stock from what i was told they must be good, well hope you do good
    like i say at first it seemed like i wouldn't get through, but after you burn a couple you will get

hope i could help. good day to you

PLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

6. 2ExTReme

2ExTReme Member

Hi, well we've all been there, done that. Unfortunately, there is no full proof way of knowing unless you get lucky and see some Made in Japan media which is almost certainly going to be Taiyo Yuden. Otherwise, it is a crap shoot.

I've been really lucky with Ritek, they've been good to me.

jackthe, shop4tech has some kind of promotion for Thanksgiving I read. Use the coupon code "Thanksgiving" and you can get a 100 pk for $33.30 w/ free shipping. I haven't ordered mine yet, but will tomorrow.

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

One other thing to add, it would be a good idea to go online to the website of your dvdrw manufacturer to see if they recommend a particular media. Certain media's work better with certain dvdrw's eg: Lite-ons prefer dvd+r media, Pioneers do better with dvd-r. I can burn Ritek G04's with my Litey, but get better results with Ritek Ridata dvd+r (Ricohjpn).

8. klinger

klinger Regular member

Got my FUJIFILM 8X 50 cake pack at best buy $12.99 made in Japan what we read these are TY'S so far no problem.12to15 backup"s klinger

9. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... I think that most BestBuy stores are sold out of the Fuji discs made by Taiyo Yuden ... They do still have the Verbatim MovieReel discs available made by Mitsubishi ... although these discs sure don't give you much room to mark on them ...

10. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

jackthe,

I've been buying Maxell dvd-r up to 4x speed (they have yellow tops) at wal-mart. Media codes MXL RG02 and TY G01. Not one bad burn yet and I have 4 standalone players. I'm paying 16 bucks +change+tax for 15. Plus they have been tested on my friends players at work and so far the results are excellent.