1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So...this "WiiKey?"

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by coolzaidi, Jul 16, 2007.

1. coolzaidi

coolzaidi Member

I'm planning to get a Wii very soon, this Sunday as a matter of fact. I was just wondering if the WiiKey is compatible with all "versions" of the Wii, even the newer ones that are coming out. I just want to make sure that Nintendo hasn't changed anything in the system that will prevent me from installing the WiiKey since the launch of the Wii.

2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

As long as you get a Wii with a D2B chipset you will be fine. There is a possibility you might need to make a modification to the chipset if the 3 legs are missing from it. Look at the below link for more information...

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/517095

If you get a D2C chipset then there is no Modchip at this time that is compatible with it and the Wii will not be modable. There really is no way to know what chipset you have except by opening it up and checking on the chip itself.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  3. coolzaidi

coolzaidi Member

Okay, so I'm assuming all of the new Wii's that are coming out currently have D2C chipset? Meaning that if I was planning on buying a Wii from a retail store on Sunday (Circuit City), then there is a good chance it will be unmoddable?

4. jatruh

jatruh Member

i know some peeps that just bought wii's 4 days ago and they were still old chipsets

5. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Can't really tell you what the percentage is of D2B left and how many are D2C chipsets. All you can do is buy 1 and find out.

It will be a matter of time and that should be soon that a Modchip is released for the D2C chipset.

WiiP V2 at this time is working on compatibility for the D2C chipset but who knows when that will be available or if the D2C support will be available on the actual launch of the version 2 chip of WiiP. But they claim to be working on it.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  6. coolzaidi

coolzaidi Member

Okay, thanks a lot to everyone who replied :)