1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*Sobs uncontrollably* I Get Christmas lights and error 21! HELP ME

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by Rethion, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Rethion

Rethion Member

I tried to ftp a new copy of ms onto my box, because since I added a new hard drive it never was able to load up the original dash. Which was okay because I always used UnleashX anyway. But then when I restarted I now get an error screen with a 21 in the top left corner. Someone PLEASE help me! I love my xbox and so much money's been dumped into it's hard drive and such. Please tell me there is a way to save it without losing money or replacing my drive!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  2. Rethion

Rethion Member

I can't explain how much that Xbox means to me, My Great grandmother paid for practically everything in it, even when I asked her not to. Please... Tell me I can save it.

The Xbox was softmodded by the way, I thought I should add that.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  3. cakes227

cakes227 Guest

well if you still have the eeprom you used to upgrade the harddrive then just rebuild the drive with xboxhdm and make sure you have ms dash correctly put in your c drive before you make the iso

4. Rethion

Rethion Member

That's the thing, I don't think I still have the eeprom. Can't I just put Splinter cell in and RE-mod it? I really want to save everything on my drive...

5. cakes227

cakes227 Guest

you can also hotswap your drive if you don't have your eeprom

6. cakes227

cakes227 Guest

can you cold boot splinter cell? if you can then you should be able to mod it but if the c drive is still not there you will have to ftp it through the spliter cell softmod install

7. Rethion

Rethion Member

My comp only has one spot for a cable...

8. cakes227

cakes227 Guest

you onley have one ide slot on your motherboard? you dont have one for hard drive and one for cd drives? ok well you can try what i said in my previous post if you can boot to splinter cell, can you?

9. Rethion

Rethion Member

I'm really not sure what you mean by cold boot. If you mean I can just pop the disk in and run it then I don't know. My dvd drive is a little faulty and I don't have a copy, (I modded it at a friends place) And yeah. It's really wierd, but I only have 1 Ide slot in my motherboard, and my Computer only has sata connections for Hard drives.

10. cakes227

cakes227 Guest

ok so you are saying you cannot run splinter cell on your xbox? that would be the easiest fix. if not then set your sata hard drive for primary master and your ide cables to secondary and then follow a hotswap tutorial as if you were using the sata hard drive as a primary ide hard drive.

11. Rethion

Rethion Member

WAIT just one second, are you saying that putting the splinter cell disk in and redoing my softmod can save my Xbox?!?!

It's gonna be alright?

12. Rethion

Rethion Member

And by the way, ALL the data is on the hard drive, I didn't delete anything to end up getting this error, I just tried to reinstall a new copy of MS.

Can someone just tell me straight if My Xbox and it's data will be fine or not? The stress is killing me.

13. cakes227

cakes227 Guest

you should go to load splinter cell and load the softmod installer then ftp with your xbox from there and backup all your apps and cames and everything to your pc then make sure you have ms dash in your c drive then uninstall the softmod and re-install it and you should also backup your eeprom and keep it on your computer

14. Rethion

Rethion Member

Well since I haven't gotten a straight answer then it's not guaranteed that my Xbox can be saved is it...

15. cakes227

cakes227 Guest

95% as long as you backup your eeprom from the ftp if something gets messed up durring the ininstallation and re-installaion then you can just use xbox hdm to fix it. Its better than sittin there with a busted xbox.

16. corn

corn Guest

Did you make a backup of MS? If so, you can just hit Restore MS backup or whatever it is called. And, yes, everything should be okay, just don't get your hopes up, because there are those odd occasions when something can go wrong.
    If this does work it (it should), just make a backup of your C drive, so if you get something odd like 15, then you can just FTP the stuff back.

17. cakes227

cakes227 Guest

yea thats what i was sayin and thats why i told him to backup his eeprom then theres a very low chance it is unfixable

18. corn

corn Guest

Ya, thats the main problem, if people would have made a backup of there EEPROM, they would save themselves alot more time fixing the problem.

*-*NOTE TO EVERYONE: MAKE AN EEPROM BACKUP!!*-*
    Hope that info in my previous post helped you out some. Any other questions just let us know.

19. Rethion

Rethion Member

Okay just let me get this straight,

What I need to do is Pop in Splinter cell, reinstall UnleashX so I can FTP my Drive, Mae a Backup of all my data, (Especially my F drive and all it's good stuff) then re-install a copy of MS onto it.

(This is gonna take forever becuause I'll have to borrow a dvd drive that opens ((I broke mine a while back)), AND get ahold of the guy who softmodded it in the firstplace).

These are the correct steps?

20. cakes227

cakes227 Guest

yes those are the correct steps, make sure u also get a backup of your e drive to cause it has youre eeprom on it