1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Social Change during and After American Revolution

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by DiRect, Feb 20, 2007.

1. DiRect

DiRect Regular member

Does anyone know where I can find some information on Social Change during and after the American Revolution - change applying to Technology, Science and Religion or any other social change. I searched on the internet and can't find anything, and I am not a big expert on American History. I have a 1 hour seminar in a month, and I really need some help. Thank you.

2. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

basically, the industrial revolution changed everything, including completely reshaping society in the developed world. your best bet would be to visit a library.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

the industrial revolution was during the 1800's whereas the american revolution was 1776. the real change socially was the change of governing power from britain to the us. also the formatation of 2 levels of government powers of federal & state.

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

holy crap i was tired when i read that...i completely read it wrong.

but yeah, the same poo applies. lots of things changed after the american revolution. but dude, you need to get yourself to a library. no real help is going to come from this forum on the topic.

5. RippDogg

RippDogg Regular member

America was largely an agrarian society at the time. The colonial community social climate was tightly wound around family, religion, and, for the most part, small towns and communities. Westward expansion began almost immediately but it was not until the steam locomotive began traversing the landscape that widespread social change began to occur. 1 hour seminar...you're giving it? Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure might be just the flick for you.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

RippDogg, edit your sig to conform to forum specs ASAP.
    2. An image-only signature should be less than 50kb in size, and be at most 500 pixels wide and 200 pixels tall.
    4. If you want to use both text and image in your signature the image should not be more than 500 pixels wide and 100 pixels tall, and you can use up to three lines of text.

7. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@DiRect....the industrial revolution in the US was started by a guy names Samuel Slater who was born around 1770. The very first industrial site in the US was the "Slater Mill" in Rhode Island. The industrial revolution boomed in new england first ... a city named Woonsocket Rhode Island and another called Worcester Mass. (both fed by the Blackstone River as all mills used waterwheels). They were the industrial capitals of the US for a very long time. Many French Canadians came from Quebec because of severe draught that lasted a couple of decades which destroyed farms and did a job on the lumber industry up there. They came to the new england mills for money to live and got their first taste of american exploitation, child labor etc. (I know these things because my dad who is 100 years old and the youngest of his family was one of them along with his 17 brothers and sisters who ran the family farm and lumber mill north of Montreal. YOu can learn some really neat stuff when you have a one hundred year old dad who has seen everything invented since the car! LOL!)

We had a good time with that 6/6/06 nonsense last summer because its my Dad's birthday (baptismal day actually, no one really knows when the hell he was born)... except that it's 1906.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2007
  8. DiRect

DiRect Regular member

good to know, but i need information for the american revolution, not the industrial revolution - having a really hard time finding information on this... if someone can point me in the right direction -->?

9. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@DiRect....just type American Revolution social changes into google; they've got a ton of stuff.

OR

There is a search engine http://www.clusty.com Type American Revolution Social Changes and the search will cluster on the left. Click on Political Social Changes on the left.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2007
  10. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

gonna say one more time that the library is your ultimate source. go to a public library and start reading through their volumes of information on the topic. you'll find some great information and most teachers cite more value to a published book than someone any moron could have typed out of his rump on the net.

11. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

12. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

there's some good reading for while i'm at work in a bit. ^.^

13. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

School and then off to work. Oh, to be young again LOL! It takes all I"ve got to just do the 9-5 routine and survive LOL!

14. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

actually, the routine is 2:00 to 11:00 tonight. ^.^