1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soft-Encoded Subtitled AVI's to SVCD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by xRichManx, May 14, 2004.

1. xRichManx

xRichManx Member

I have recently downloaded a bunch of anime episodes. They are AVI format and contain soft encoded subtitles, which means I need assistance of DirectVobSub to display the subtitles. The problem I have is I can't burn them into SVCD's because the video codec is Xvid for the episodes(the result would be an upside-down screen)

I used VirtualDub to change the codec to DivX(Divx video's work perfect with Nero, no upside-down screen) but then the new video didn't have the soft encoded subtitles.

I then thought of converting it to mpeg with TmpgEnc and tried using DirectVobSub to (at the sametime) hard encode the subtitles and make it an mpeg, but for some reason DirectVobSub wouldn't turn on, plus the mpeg would be useless because TmpgEnc shows that it'll be too big!! (See picture for yourself)

[​IMG]

I don't know why TmpgEnc is saying the video is 58minutes long. The episode is really only about 20minutes.

I don't know what to do, even VirtualdubMOD can't detect the subtitles. SO I couldn't dumux them if I wanted to..
    help...

Last edited: May 14, 2004
  2. xRichManx

xRichManx Member

please guys, I really need help with this.

Help me!

3. xRichManx

xRichManx Member

I "thought" you guys were pro's? But if you can't help then it seems you guys aren't as good as I thought..

4. xRichManx

xRichManx Member

New info! Today I got frustrated, so just for the hell of it I decided to make an SVCD using the AVI's to see what would happen. To my surprise, the SVCD came out fine. The screen wasn't upside-down! but, bad part is, there were no subtitles, I even pressed the Subtitles button on my remote to see if maybe the soft-encoded subtitles would turn on, but they didn't. So I tried it on another DVD-player in my house and it played, but still no subtitles. Is there a special SVCD making program I have to use for the subtitle no/off thing to work. I read somewhere that you can only have this option with SVCD's. I used Nero Express 5.5... to make this SVCD.

Maybe you could help me now

5. shiroh

shiroh Guest

hello,

1)go to virtualdub.org and get the plugin filter subtitler. this will allow virtualdub to read .ssa file. if you got a different format convert it, i think subresync that comes with vobsub can do this.
    2)load video on v-dub
    3)load filter and the sub.
    4)scroll through to see if its synchronised as you want it to be.
    5)under the "file" tab there is a command name frameserve. click that. save file as it wants.
    6)load the saved file in tmpeg.
    7)and you're good to go.

i don't usually use directvobsub much so i'm not sure about the problem you encounter, but i think vobsub uses subpicture instead of a text file. i don't use it cause it uses subpicture ab\nd i can't edit the subs the way i want it.

tmpgenc showed 58 minutes proably it got a variable rate audio. it really is still 20 minutes.

if you want to soft encode the sub. you will need maestroSBT and winsubmux. maestro to make the subpicture and winsubmux to mux it. this will use bitrate when on and it will uses extra space.

6. xRichManx

xRichManx Member

What do I use to Demux/Extract the subtitles? You don't explain how I do that.

7. shiroh

shiroh Guest

oh, in virtualdubmod, under stream drop menu.

8. xRichManx

xRichManx Member

nope, i've said this before. VirtualDubMod can't detect the subtitles. In the stream list all I can see is the audio, even with the Subtitler filter in.

9. shiroh

shiroh Guest

really ? i've never done this, i'll give it a check. and other app that might do it.

10. xRichManx

xRichManx Member

waits for reponse

11. shiroh

shiroh Guest

could you check again in the stream list, if there is other stream other than the audio.

12. xRichManx

xRichManx Member

I did, VirtualDubMod won't detect soft-encoded subtitles. Even with that filter on. Please respond quickly, I really want to watch these video's in japanese with subtitles.

13. shiroh

shiroh Guest

you're one desperado :p

try do a search on demuxing subtitle stream. i've never done this cause all the subtitle i need is hardcoded or in seperate file with the same name.

the sub is a stream like the audio, so i'm pretty sure vdubmod should see it. and i think i did read somewhere that v-dubmod is used to demux it.

14. gcgav

gcgav Member

I only know how to encode your subtitles with tmpgenc. First if you use tmpgenc you can use the build in wizard. If you want more templates for the wizard provide me your email.
    You have to install VobSub.
    From tmpgenc _>Environmental settings _>VFAPI plugin make sure that DirectShow has first priority (1st in the list)
    Now you can use the wizard for setting you conversion. After conversion the file may be bigger that 800 MB, but is not the size that tmpgenc predicted. You can cut that file using EasyEmpg.
    Sorry for my english