1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

soft mod, no chip. Help!

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by shm00, Feb 14, 2004.

1. shm00

shm00 Member

Ok, so friday at school my friend had his xbox in class and it was soft modded with evox. His xbox had no mod chip either. So I decided to soft mod my xbox, only I have no idea how to go about it. I have ready all the tutorials but nothing seems to fit my case. With no mod chip, I can't load up evox to install it on my xbox HDD.

What my friend did I believe is hook his xbox HDD to his comp, reformat it, and then installed evox.

Has anyone done this, or know how to do this? Or is there another way I can do this.

I just need to install evox on my xbox, without a mod chip.

Why? No money! Please help, thanks.

2. shm00

shm00 Member

Like, would it be possible to format the xbox hard drive from my pc, and then put the evox files onto it directly, and put it back into my xbox?

3. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

I'm pretty sure the "no-chip" method involves some "hot swapping" between the xbox and your PC, both of which are kinda risky. xbox-scene.com has a tutorial on this.

4. shm00

shm00 Member

thanks for the reply, but if I did hot swap then what would I do. How would I get the files on to the hdd?

Ive already read those tuts, Ive actually been searching around for about 4 hours now lol

5. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

i've never done it, and only read about it once, but i think you pull the drive from the xbox (after it spins down) and plug it into your PC (while it's on) then transfer the files to it and put it back in the xbox. not positive since i didn't really pay too much attention to it, sounded way to risky to me.

6. shm00

shm00 Member

Whats the exact correct way to hotswap? What stage does your computer have to be at when you plug in the hard drive, and how do you get there with windows xp?

Ive only successfully hotswapped once, but ever since then I cant seem to do it correctly, it always says its locked and asks me for the password.

7. shdwsfall

shdwsfall Regular member

Your best bet would be to go and get a solderless mod chip. I mean, the way you are trying to do this is complicated, and risky. You could very easily end up with a useless xbox. A chip is worth the money, and will be easier than the hot-swap method. Not to mention if you do get the soft mod to work, when you are flashing your motherboard's bios, if you are using a bad bios, or a corrupted bios...bye bye xbox. You need to be exremely sure of what you are doing if you are going to do the soft mod.