1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soft-Mod Tutorial: How to play backups with only SD Media Launcher + Extra Info

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by Kenohki, Feb 17, 2007.

1. kilik

kilik Member

gah - this thread subscription has been annoying me for ages but i forgot what my username was.

And people would just ressurect this dead topic :(

2. sevvy

sevvy Member

should i not have posted here but started a new thread?

3. megabug7

megabug7 Member

What ohms setting should my DMM be?

2000k, 200k, 20k, 2000 or 200

4. hypersoni

hypersoni Regular member

well the lower the # the stronger the lens but the lower the life. I can't really tell you an exact # as every console is different. So you're just gonna have to experiment. sorry.

5. danarchy1

danarchy1 Guest

I just received my SD Media Launcher via UPS. The 1gb SD card does not work. I've tried the USB SD Card reader and my 4-in-1 SD card reader on the front of my PC. Absolutely nothing happens. Shit...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2008
  6. liero89

liero89 Member

you sure it's not just the reader acting up? I use the Dazzle 6-in-1 reader and i haven't had problems... :/

[​IMG]

7. danarchy1

danarchy1 Guest

Just got a new 2gb SD card from the store. Works like a charm. Trying out a few .GCMs with SDBoot.

8. liero89

liero89 Member

sweet :D hey let us know if you're able to run some games... i've had some trouble doing it

9. danarchy1

danarchy1 Guest

I was able to get Mario Party 4, Zelda: The Wind Waker and Super Smash Bros. Melee working just fine with SD-boot v4.0. Mario Party 6 and 7 freeze at the Nintendo screen. Anyone have any idea why these 2 games freeze at the boot-up Nintendo screen? I'm going to mess around with it some more.

10. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Where can I find the latest version of the files in the tutorial? The link in the tutorial is broken.

11. danarchy1

danarchy1 Guest

Well now I'm trying to boot back-ups with GCOS 1.5 and I'm getting an error after 20 minutes of gameplay(please turn off the console and refer to the instruction manual... blah blah blah). I've opened the GC and adjusted the POT. STILL getting the error after 20 minutes or so of gameplay. Ran my burned game (mario party 6) through DVD Info Pro. The mini-DVD is in excellent shape with a very low PO/PI average and peak. WTF. Why won't this damn GC read my backups properly? I've played originals on this console for hours without any issues so I'm ruling out the possibility of a bad laser. I'm using the Sony Handycam Accucore series Mini-DVDs. If anyone has any tips to help with this issue I would greatly appreciate it.

12. danarchy1

danarchy1 Guest

OK. I figured out a few things today. I went to the store and bought some Panasonic mini DVD-R's and here are the results.

burned Mario Party 6 @ 4x using ImgBurn - no DREs

burned Skies of Arcadia Legends @ 4x using ImgBurn - Got DRE after 1st mission

re-burned Skies of Arcadia Legends @ 2x using Nero - no DREs

burned Mario Party 7 @ 2x using Nero - Got "power calibration" error during burn

re-burned Mario Party 7 @ 2x using ImgBurn - no DREs

I'm using a Lite-On 16x DVD+/-RW. I hope this information is helpful.

13. tntran

tntran Member

Hi im new to modding to a gamecube and was wondering if i can use Sandisk MicroSD card instead of the Datel's original SD card (1 gig or 2). I think this question has been asked before but could not find any answers to i thought i ask.
    Thanks for any respond

14. liero89

liero89 Member

Yeah, dude, that's what I use... doesn't really matter what brand, but cheap 3rd-party SD cards may obviously be crappy. And remember that it cannot be SDHC, only microSD or SD you know.

15. tntran

tntran Member

Thanks for the respond!

16. Hawk69

Hawk69 Member

Quick Question. Do you guys think think this method would work with this ? Or would it HAVE to be the sd media card because of the disc? ALready ordered it, was retarded didnt read through the whole thing to know u had to launch it with a disc. Please someone help!

17. MarvelFtW

MarvelFtW Member

Hello, I am from Greece and I tried to order that sd media launcher but they dont seem to be shipping to Greece. I emailed them about this 2 min ago but I ask you as well. Do you know if they ship to Greece as well?

18. MarvelFtW

MarvelFtW Member

EDIT: I was in Us version of website :D
    I ordered my media launcher :)

19. Currybull

Currybull Member

Is the disc swapping always necessary or is there any way to get your gamecube to boot the gcos from the memory card without the sd media launcher disc?

20. liero89

liero89 Member

As for disc swapping, that's just how it's going to be using the SDML method. Unless you actually solder like a XenoGC chip to your Gamecube, you'll just have to live with it :p

If you have anymore questions about cube modding, just visit here :)