1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soft modded box - DVD won't work

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by forumuser, Nov 14, 2007.

1. forumuser

forumuser Member

I'm using a soft modded xbox that previously had a DVD drive that was more than a little unreliable. It now won't read discs at all. Is it likely that it is broken? If so, what is the best drive to replace it with? Also, should I standardize my xboxen on this drive? My criteria would be quiet and ability to read many formats. Thanks.

2. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Refer to my tutorials, I written a whole section on this subject!

Also how to repair the drives!

;)

3. forumuser

forumuser Member

Thanks for the info. The drive information seems somewhat outdated. You don't mention any of the drives such as the LG that can be flashed to work with the XBOX. If I'm going to spend the money, I want to know what my full options are not just those that MS presented as standard options. Any ideas on those? Also, my basic question of is it probably a broken drive is not really answered by saying someone should read endless pages of tutorials. I will certainly reference them though when and if I swap the DVD drive.

4. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

The other options are the Hitachi drive (don't know anything about them) and the LG drive as you pointed out!

However, I will NOT recommend the LG to anyone, simply because it's not as straight forward as everyone expects!

You not only have to flash new firmware, but you also have to solder on and around the DVD drives PCB, and it also doesn't fit into the Xbox without modification, and then it still doesn't look right!

I don't see the LG as legitimate solution!