1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

softmod Vs modchip ??

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by fafasi, Dec 22, 2004.

1. fafasi

fafasi Member

can anyone tell me the difference,which one is the better choose and why? thank anyone very much.

p.s. please explain in full about the good and the bad.

2. punqewe

punqewe Active member

softmod=cheaper

3. fafasi

fafasi Member

what are the flows,problems with either one. sorry about the spelling.

4. punqewe

punqewe Active member

pretty much all your doing is cutting the cost buy not buying a chip and using the onboard tsop as the chip. So whatever the cost of the chip,thats the savings. As far as problems,just read the forums if you want to know about the problems about chips...it seems that alot of the people with chips are haveing some problem or another.

5. Achilles3

Achilles3 Guest

I would recommend you go with a modchip just because it seems to me like far more too many people run into problems with their softmodded systems. For example, their dashboard is gone one day when they turn their system on, or they can't find their games, etc.. Only problem with mochips is that people find it confusing to flash the chips.

6. punqewe

punqewe Active member

Not being able to find games isn't a dashboard issue.....that's a ini/xml issue. And if finding that the hardest thing about chips is that the flashing is confusing.....maybe those people shouldn't use them.

7. massiah

massiah Member

I have a soft-modded system that has been modded for about 13 mos...and I have had no probs with it whatsoever. No game freezes, no hd crashes, no black screens,even after changing the BIOStwice and implementing multiple dashboards. The only problem I have run into with my or any of my friends' soft-modded Xboxes are the drives.Whether, they decide that they want to read "-" or "+" dvds or cd-rws.I hear more drama from my friends who have chipped systems in all different places with all different modders working on their systems.There is also a lot of other things that go into the lifespan of an xbox , let alone a modded one.I hear all the stories about xboxes going bad but, you never hear about what kind of environment they are contained in.Is it well ventilated? where do you set your xbox?table or tv stand with plenty of breathing room or underneath some other component?on your carpet where it has no room to breathe?Do you lug it over to your friends' house to play multi-player Halo or Madden?does it sit flat or angled when it's in your car?I have had the same Xbox since I stood in line for 20 hrs. for it 3 yrs ago in a Wal-Mart to be the first to guarantee that I had one.And , I have never had to replace it or any component for it.Take care of your stuff and unless it's a manufacturing flaw ...your stuff will generally take care of you.

8. punqewe

punqewe Active member

Exactly,well said. I've had my first one since early 2002 and haven't had a problem yet. Pretty much if you want cheap go with the onboard TSOP. If you want options go with the chips....and if you want super simple....go with the solderless chip. At least we don't have to deal with the 30 wire mods anymore hehe.....there is some good out of this.