1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Softmodded Xbox freezes at Startup! Help! (Green screen of death)

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by ModNewb, Jul 6, 2007.

1. ModNewb

ModNewb Member

I have a v1.0 xbox that I've softmodded recently. I have xbmc (the newest version) and everything was great for like the last month. Until it broke yesterday when I was playing Doom 3 Resurrection OE. The game froze like and gave a dirty disk error, so I took it out and wanted to surf the internet instead on my Linksboks from XBMC.

But when I turn the Xbox on, it loads the starting green blob forming thing with the toilet flushing sound like unsual and then it FREEZES when the Xbox logo and Microsoft logo shows up.

I don't know how to fix it? Is it even possible??

Thx if someone can help>

2. stevexbox

stevexbox Regular member

Can you load a game?
    Try to load a softmod game or a game that has dashupdate.xbe on it.

Likely, you might have to use hotswap.
    It is quite easy actually, although i thought it was for gods only.
    you just unhook a cable from the xbox and computer and switch it.

The hard part is unlocking the drive.

It seems that the hard drive ight already be unlocked for you since it shows the microsoft logo.

Try it out.

3. ModNewb

ModNewb Member

Can you pls give me some links on hotswapping. Most of the tut i've seen are really complicated. The thing is that I'm really a newb, and have no idea what is wrong with my xbox. I can't boot retail games, it would still be frozen at the Logo. When it freezes, it sounds like the DVD drive is trying to read a disk really hard and fast when sometimes there is no disk.

I'm not even quite sure what hotswapping does. And what materials i need.

More info pls. THx for you patience for a newb like me.

4. kyle00

kyle00 Member

basically....unplug your dvd drive...then it will give you error 12..i understand that at that time your hd will be unlocked and you can unplug it and plug it to your computer....

5. ModNewb

ModNewb Member

Is there a simple solution because I don't really know if it is hard drive failure yet. In fact, it doesn't freeze at the green screen anymore, it just goes black after the green screen like its is going load something but nothing loads.

I don't really want to hotswap if i don't have to. Thx I'm really a noob, so any advice or instructions will be needed in great DETAIL!