1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Softmodding Tutorial; And burning For n00bs

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by legato777, Jan 7, 2005.

1. legato777

legato777 Member

Okay, been seeing a lot of post about softmodding, so I thought Id help.

What you need to soft mod:
    -Xbox (duh)
    -USB port
    -Action replay (the one that comes with memory card, and the usb cable where you can connect it to your computer.)
    -Itools game save.
    -The game with the exploit (The games are 007 Agent under fire, Splinter Cell, and Mechassualt (the old version)

I recommend you use the 007 agent under fire one. Splinter cell i heard is hard to figure out. and there's two different versions of Mechassualt.

You also need to find out what Xbox version you have.
    To do this; from your m$ dashboard go to settings and then system info, what for it to scroll down to
    K: then a number and .s; Copy this number down, and search it with google, and a website telling you which version you have should come up.

Once you have the game; and the action replay, you need the itools game save, where you can get from here:

Download mirc (from mirc.com)
    and Smart FTP (from smartftp.com)

Run mirc. Options menu should come up, if not go to tools, options.

Fill in a username/nick name, then on the left, hit servers. You should see a box, and when you click on it a bunch of servers come up. Pick Efnet (random US sever). Then connect to server.

After it connects another box should come up that says
    enter a channel name. Type in #xbins and then join.

In the chat type "/msg xbins !list" without the quotes.

A new chat should come up; Then copy down the information it gives you, like server, username, and password.

Start up smart ftp, type in the server, username, and password at the top, and connect.

The Itools can be found in xbox/operating system/linux/distributions/ltools/

Now run your action replay cd that came with the memory card. Install it, and when you get to the AR screen, you should see a middle colloum, called PC Database.

Find the file you downloaded, and click and drag, it to the PC database. The save should now be under whatever the game is (for example: Agent under fire save; would be in agent under fire folder.) Now plug in your memory card to the usb cable, and put the usb cable in your comp.

Click and drag the save to the memory card, and wait for about a minute or so.

After this is done, plug it into your controller. On the dashboard, go to memory; choose memory card, find the file, and copy it to your hard drive.

Put in the game. When you get to the main screen, load the save you just copied to your hard drive.

It will start Itools.

When it starts, it will say the name of your game, press B ( If you press anything else i think you will get an error 21 or something).

Select UDE Install from the list.

Follow the instructions, you will need to know what kernel you have and what version. (kernel was in system info, the K:)

After that, let it install, then when it tells you to turn it off, turn it off, but not before that!

Your Xbox is now modded.

For burning check: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/141037
    Its a wonderful guide, written by Quadratic.

Troubleshooting:
    Don't load the save from your memory card, this will result in an error 21.

If you try to run Xbox live, you will get an error 21.

A problem I was having was when it went to install, the screen went green, and the button would flash orange. I found out though, if i waited till it was green, everything was fine.

Good Luck.

2. Xmichelle

Xmichelle Guest

Hi, I'm a real noob with this (only much experience with computers and network, working at a computer shop)
    Is this also for version 1.6?

I just bought an xbox (yesterday) and want to softmod it.

So I understand I must buy this:

007 agent under fire
    memory card
    usb cable to connect memory card with pc?

Do I need more?

Thanks for your help.. I don't understand it all cause I'm Dutch and have some difficulties to understand some English terms..

Thanks for your help ;)

Michelle

3. legato777

legato777 Member

Yes, my xbox is v1.6, and I modded it.
    Just make sure you choose the right things, in the setup.

Just to inform everyone this works on xboxs v1.0-v1.6

4. legato777

legato777 Member

Sorry, forgot to answer your other question.

"007 agent under fire
    memory card
    usb cable to connect memory card with pc? "

You can use 007 agent under fire, splinter cell, or mech assualt, but i prefer you use agent under fire.

the other thing you need is Action Replay! unless you can build yourself a usb port for the memory card.

The action replay comes with the usb docking station, and a memory card.

You can also just rent one of those games.

5. legato777

legato777 Member

Sorry, forgot to answer your other question.

"007 agent under fire
    memory card
    usb cable to connect memory card with pc? "

You can use 007 agent under fire, splinter cell, or mech assualt, but i prefer you use agent under fire.

the other thing you need is Action Replay! unless you can build yourself a usb port for the memory card.

The action replay comes with the usb docking station, and a memory card.

You can also just rent one of those games.

6. Xmichelle

Xmichelle Guest

Ohh I get it now...
    I don't need to buy an usb cable, but the docking station that is in the Action Replay pack..
    Do you know where I can buy that?
    Thanks for your help ;)
    And good idea about renting that came :)

Thanks ;)

7. legato777

legato777 Member

You can pick one up at EbGames.

Other places that carry them are circuit city and best buy. Walmart could possibly have them, but when i went they didnt (they didnt have anything in ,cause this was just after christmas). And I dont think Target would have them.

8. Xmichelle

Xmichelle Guest

Thanks, but living in the Netherlands so that's difficult for me ;)
    I will search for it @ Google to find a shop which supports paypal.
    Thanks for all your help ;)

Michelle

9. laoguy69

laoguy69 Member

When done softmoding, will i be able to play backup games on my xbox or just games on the hard drive?

10. legato777

legato777 Member

backups of xbox games