1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

softmodding xbox 360

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by savanna23, Sep 30, 2010.

1. savanna23

savanna23 Member

Hi all, im new here so hoping someone can help. Basically i want to get an xbox360 but will only buy one if i can softmod it to play downloaded games from an external harddrive or DVD.
    I have done this with my WII and assume its the same with XBOX.

If someone can give me a step by step instruction on how to do this it would be great. I have searched the forum but cant find exactly what to do. thanks
  2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. snickle

snickle Regular member

Unfortunately, fully hacking the xbox 360 is NOT as simple as a Wii, in fact, up until last December, it was impossible to hook an external drive to a 360 and play games. Now you can do it, but only IF you have an xbox360 with an older dashboard. (One that has not been updated for at least a year and a half)and you have to have good soldering skills to jtag the board.. If your 360 does not meet these requirements, you will have to stick to softmodding your dvd rom.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  4. jerred121

jerred121 Regular member

You assumed wrong my friend (about it being like a Wii softmod). You could also try to be a little more discrete about the whole "downloaded games" bit...

Like snickle said, you have to stick to softmodding the dvd drive, but you'll need to know what kind of drive your imaginary xbox has - although it is possible for all the drives, the process is different for all of them. It's a easy mod though.

I'm warning you though, do not post any further question about how to do this, until you know what drive you have - it's a complete waste of everyone's time and you'll just be called a noob like a 100 times.

Edit:Here's a tut for all of the drives, for when you figure out what one you have.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  5. Sixxer

Sixxer Guest

Can you explain how to do play games off of an external hard drive?
  6. Modking30

Modking30 Regular member

You can't. Check your dash, if it's above 2.0.7371 or higher it cannot be done. Jtags are dying breed. This mod is also for no noob. It require diodes and soldering to the motherboard. You're better off flashing your DVD drive which still requires soldering on the lite-on drives to do a full dump of the firmware. Two traces must be cut on the pcb.