1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

software for HD playback?

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by paleolith, Jan 6, 2005.

1. paleolith

paleolith Member

OK, this seems like an obvious question, but I've browsed and searched and can't find any mention of it. If it's been discussed from here to yonder, I apologize and will happily accept cream pies full of URLs in my face.

Recommendations for playback software for playing a DVD from HD? I have a DVD -- one for now, maybe an occasional one later, but not often -- that I want to play back from hard disk instead of directly from the DVD. I got DVD Decrypter and ripped the DVD fine. I can play back the individual files fine using the pre-installed version of WinDVD. But Intervideo wants US$50 (or maybe $70, hard to tell from their web site) for the version that can treat the VIDEO_TS folder just like a DVD. Downloaded Zoom Player, same issue, except it's only $20 to upgrade to the version that can do "DVD in folder". I was a little annoyed that I could not figure out from the ZP web site whether the free version did this; I had to install it and try it to find out.

Well, so $20 sounds like an OK price to add this capability. Is Zoom Player a decent choice? Other recommendations? I definitely do not expect my needs to go beyond simply playing DVDs, usually directly, occasionally from HD. Never say never, but I don't anything more happening any time soon.

Thanks,

Edward

2. djcsurf

djcsurf Guest

3. paleolith

paleolith Member

Re cliprex: Thanks for the suggestion. Looked pretty good until I got to the installation. It's adware -- I have to agree to install software which intercepts my web browsing and redirects me to sponsor sites. NO THANK YOU. And the cliprex web site doesn't even warn about this, so immediately I don't trust them.

I would definitely pay $20 for Zoom Player Pro before installing adware.

Edward

4. rarthurb

rarthurb Member

I'd better check out what I was going to say , Yeah I just checked it out and you can use DVDShrink to watch *.iso 's on your computer. Just tell it to load a disk image file "ISO" and after a quick analyse you can click the blue arrow at the bottom of the screen and watch the movie. to enlarge to full screen just click on the screen that's playing..enjoy a FREE movie player thar works with iso's or you can use windows media player to load to load the Video-ts file and it is free also..

5. paleolith

paleolith Member

Oh ... duh ... Windows Media Player?

Well, talk about not even trying the obvious. I just assumed that if Win DVD couldn't handle it, then nothing preinstalled on this computer would either. Didn't even try WMP.

And you don't need no stinkin' .iso either. I just launched WMP and opened the video_ts.vob file in the folder that DVD Decrypter had created. Bingo, the whole nine yards. Just DVD Decrypter and WMP.

Now, I would have figured that out by myself, right? Right?

Thanks,

Edward