1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Software for my capture card?

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by ZeroX114, Mar 24, 2005.

1. ZeroX114

ZeroX114 Member

Hi,
    Please I would like to receive an answer as soon as possible because I have to start tomorrow. My father gave me a capture card but he didn't give me it's software. So I wonder if it's possible to get one from the internet.
    I went under "software" in the site. But I don't know from which page I should download a software, is it from 1 or 2?
    1) http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_capture_tools/

2)http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_encoders/

and which software do you suggest me to download? What I want to do is to transfer the videos I have on a VHS to my PC (as .avi files).
    I really beg you to answer me, I have to start as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Mar 24, 2005
  2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

It would probably be a good idea to go to the website of the manufacturer of the capture card. You will find the software, there.

Or better yet, get on the phone, and ask your father for the software.

3. ZeroX114

ZeroX114 Member

My capture card is ATI Rage 128 PRO. I went to ATI's website and downloaded ATI Multimedia 7.2
    But I don't know how to capture the movie.
    There are these categories when I installed the software:
    1) TV
    2) Video CD
    3) CD Audio
    4) File Player

where TV is to watch tv on my computer, video cd where I watch videos from a cd, audio is hearing audio from a cd, and file player is open a video/audio file and play it...just like Windows Media Player.

Could it be the wrong software I installed?

*EDIT*
    I tried virtualdub and AVI IO but they both give me the no-channel screen (You know when you sometimes find a channel with grey/black screen moving non-stop and it has the "shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" sound)
    I'm really lost here.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
  4. pfh

pfh Guest

Unless it's one of the All-in-Wonder cards i doubt that old card can capture anything.

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

The "ATI Rage 128 Pro" is an extremely old Card and I do not Believe that ATI supports these cards anymore and I do not think the ATI Multi-Media Center will work with the ATI rage 128 pro as the MMC software is for All In Wonder Radeon cards and Radeon VIVO cards...
    Even if you could get the Card to work the Quality will not be very good...You might be better off spending the $30 or $40 and get a new Card ...

Good Luck

6. ZeroX114

ZeroX114 Member

Now that's a bad news to hear!
    About the 30-40$ capture cards, do they give high quality videos?
    I'm looking for a cheap but really good (or at least good)quality capture card. I know that "you get what you paid for" but who knows, maybe you know one.
    I'm not willing to pay much because I will use it rarley.

7. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Any $20 capture card CAN give you excellent quality.
    If your computer is fast enough, and your hard drive is fast enough, or you have a second drive.
    If you choose the right aspect ratio.
    If you choose the right capture codec, and capture software.
    If you choose the right colourspace.

8. nightfly

nightfly Member

I've been using the ATI rage 128 pro AIW card without problems, though I don't use it for the tuner to watch tv as I've never been able to get good reception through my comcast cable. The SVHS and component inputs work quite well though. I've made many VHS to DVD conversions using MyDVD (make sure you use the correct version of MyDVD that is compatible with your card; versions 5 and 6 don't support this card, you will have to use a variety of version 4). It's a PCI card, installed on a Intel 845 motherboard, P4 1.8 gig processor, 1 GIG memory, all IBM SCSI hard drives (one for OS, one for capture and one for finalizing video) and optical other than a Pioneer A04 dvd recorder, all in a mid tower lian li black case. Everything runs real cool. Very stable system over the past three years, still using it just as I put it together. Only change was going from Win2K to WinXP last fall (reformatted the OS hard drive for clean install). Any questions you can reach me at nightfly44@yahoo.com.