1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Software/Music/Video Piracy

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by gbswales, Sep 19, 2004.

1. gbswales

gbswales Member

I wonder how much money is being spent trying to defeat this issue and how much less the procucts would cost if they simply didnt bother.

Record companies and software houses claim to lose millions - i think the figures are greatly exagerated in that it assumes that people would buy the product if they couldnt get it for free - this clearly is not the case. As far as software is concerned most people would turn to open source or freeware. Videos , Music and especially software are all overpriced costing maybe four times or more what they should.

Another issue is the domestic user - why should they pay the same for software to use maybe onece or twice as a commercial concern who use it hundreds of times and make money out of it. All software should have a personal/non commercial use option costing about 10% of the commercial price but without fancy packs and support.

As for Microsoft (and other software houses) you can save millions by getting one platform stable and servicable before moving on to the next. Windows95, 98, 2000 are all being abandoned before they have been completed!! now presumably windows XP will fall over in front of Longhorn - Microsoft should produce O/S software for life licenses with new non commercial PCs

2. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Windows XP is servicable, stable, and there are considerably less security issues that it was first released. Unless you're a hardcore "Linux Only" fan, then you're using Windows XP.

As for piracy, unless everyone does it, there will always be buyers.

3. gbswales

gbswales Member

Well I am not sure I agree about windows XP but maybe you havent installed service pack 2 yet! I have just spent a few days hunting around for drivers for various bits of software to restore them to use - OK third party products I agree but windows is designed to use with third party products and so should manage all the changes. Even if it is "stable" as you put it then it wont be long before "longhorn" or whatever comes in to replace it - I am not against progress but feel that Microsoft produce the prime operating system for your PC so onece you have it upgrades should be free as indeed should be telephone or email support for their product

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I never saw a reason to install SP2. It's claim to fame was better security but I don't buy it. I'll trust my security to dedicated firewall and anitvirus software over some half-assed MS add-on.

The only time I'll update any part of Windows is when I absolutely need it because, as far as what's best for me and my PC, I trust my judgment infinitely more than MS.

Just think of all those folks who leave the automatic update feature enabled and end up with MB's of crap installed that they probably don't even need.

5. Molder

Molder Regular member

Nephilim, I'm with you, I ensure MS updater is off. I work for a medium sized organisation here in Australia (although it has a global owner) and they have MS updater turned on and then wonder why the network, PC and assorted applications don't work and fall over, I scratch my head daily.

If it ain't broken leave it alone, all i do is when XP reaches it's halflife I format and reinstall (XP seems to last about 9-10 months before it is bloated by 3rd party apps).

Have a great day.