1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Software recommendation for my Burner

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Vortec30, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Vortec30

Vortec30 Member

Hi im new to dvd burning and have built a sweet computer with a 16x NEC Burner. I bought a OEM version of the burner and it came with no software. Im having a problem locating it. Can anyone help here? Someone told me I didnt have to even have software(firmware) with windows xp. Is this true?

By the way im using DVD Shrink, Dvd for free and Nero 6 ultra edition. Im very happy with it right now and just burned Empire Strikes back and Godfather and it looks great.

Have one problem though. I have a amd 3500 64 bit computer and when I am ripping the DVD to my HD, it seems to be kinda slow. It usually takes 30 mins to 45min with a kb/s rate starting at 2400 and ending up at around 4300-5000. Is this normal?

I have a friend whos rate is quite a bit higher and he has a slower computer then mine.

Thanks for your help. Id like to have my rip times incresed. Burning at 8x Np and very fast.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2004
  2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi vortec30,

Having XP means you don't have to drivers for your plug'n play stuff.

You MUST have firmware AND an ASPI layer -

Sit down, get comfortable and lets Let's go over your DVD burner's basics, Okie, Dokie ?

For that we'll have to turn on the TV to "The Wide Warped World of Sports," already in progress :)

(Our advertiser's here for a few words first - )

Remember fans, while watching our sports spectacular always check your DMA mode. When our PC gets "cranky" and "out of sorts", it could be you've slipped from your DMA mode to your PIO Mode. As we all know, it could happen to anyone, head to our site without delay and we'll return you to ScubaPete, already in progress -

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

First, to our sports announcer "ScubaPete" at the local ball field -

Hi folks, nice of you to join us -
    (hey ball boy, gimme a beer, "K" ?)

First up to bat this inning, our all star, ASPI- let's check his bio - ASPI likes to sandwich himself between the software and the burner, allowing fast and precise communication and smooth performance.

Here's some additional information about the ASPI layer -

http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/aspisetup.cfm

First we see if he'll join the lineup by way of Adaptec ASPI layer OR Nero ASPI.

Sometimes ASPI is reluctant to join so we may have to "Force" him by using "Force ASPI."

We'll find all of those links and some more information here -

http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/aspisetup.cfm

Once he's in place, it's good to check on ASPI, here's a good tool for just that, it's called ASPI Checker -

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...nguage=English+US&filekey=aspichk.exe&sess=no

Taking a short break while a fan streaks the field, we're switching you to the All World Golf Tournament and ScubaPete 2 at the clubhouse -

(hey) "High Ball," (I mean,) Hi ya'all, Stupid-Pete, I mean ScubaPete are we set ready for Firmware ?

We'll be going out to the links (when I get anudder rink) to check our Firmware for our burner of choice -
    The Firmware, as we might remember, is our burner's tutor, keeping our DVD burner "tweeked". It makes sure our burner can "speak" to as many different mfgrs of media as fast and precise as possible - We're always looking for the most recent upgrade -

To check on our firmware we'll need a little "tool" which we can get from here -

http://flashman.rpc-1.com/

At the bottom of the page look for "What's my firmware? - Try this little tool I found," Download this tool and check out your Firmware's health (up-to-date wise). You can probably get a current upgrade there also -

If you haven't gotten the proper firmware - back you go to get your upgrade - You cannot be without it -

Time to take a break from our sports broadcast and transfer you back to ScubaPete at the bar, . . . Huuuuummmm, ScubaPete, I say, ScubaPete . . . has anyone seen ScubaPete what, . . , wha . . he's under the wha . .

Sorry Ladies and Gentlemen, ScubaPete seems to be under the, ahhhhhh, the . .Ahhhhh, weather, yea, that's it, He's under the weather . . (Psssst, get you feet offin da ScubaPete's head, he won't be on the floor all nite . .

Someone ship him back to A/D, alrighty ?

Well folks, we've lost our signal but we hope your driver is all that it can be, . . . G'nite all -

Remember when looking for a guide with a disturbed personality, shop ScubaPete -

Ohhhh, yea, for your last question -

If you paid attention and did everything you were supposed to much will have been solved but I doubt it will help your rip speed.

DVD43 isn't very good ripping in the background, most of your work is being done by DVD Shrink - If you want to really increase your speed switch to DVD Decrypter (which you'll need at sometime as DVD Shrink cannot rip everything -

There are rare occasions that DVD Shrink has a bit "O" trouble with an encryption.
    Then again there are times when someone (like vortec30) wants to pickup some speed when that happens I run DVD Decrypter in the "ISO" "Read" "Mode". When DVD Decrypter is finished, I snatch up the image by opening DVD Shrink, going to "File" then "Open Disc Image" and continue processing as usual.

I like using the "ISO" approach as it takes everything exactly as it is on the "Mother disc" with, IMHO, less of a chance of corrupting or losing a little bitty, tiny, weenie, yellow polka-dot file-y to the "Aliens" that seem to come from nowhere and mess up my absolutely perfectly good day - (Ya know what I mean ?) :)

There Ya go Good Guy,

Don't forget to come back and let me know how you made out -

Cheers,

Pete

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent IV CPU 2.84GHz, 1024MB RAM, 520GB HD.
    Pioneer 107, 8X R/W , Nec R/W ND-1300A, JLMS DVD ROM.
    128MB GeForce4 TI 4200, O/S XP[/small]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2004
  3. Vortec30

Vortec30 Member

Thanks for your help Pete. Looks like everything is set up right. I read a review of the 16 speed nec drive and the ripping score was very low :(