1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Software that works with USB2 Enclosed External DVD Burners

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by D-503, Mar 20, 2005.

1. D-503

D-503 Member

I know there is another thread like this but it's 20 pages long and most of it is almost a year old and Nero still haven't solved the problem so I thought it would be good for people to post what software does work for them with USB2 5.25" Enclosures and Internal drives in here. So people don't have to go through 20 pages to find a solution.

I recently bought a Zynet 5.25" USB 2.0 Enclosure and a LG GSA 4163B 16x Multi-Format Internal DVD Burner. I'm in Region 4 (Australia) and I'm trying to burn VCD and SVCD's (they are in .bin/.cue format) to CD-R. I've tried: Nero (it came with the drive), burnatonce (with ProDVD installed correctly), VCDEasy and none of them will do it. The only things I've had a successful burn with are Princo DVD-R's from DVD-9 back-ups using DVD Decypter and DVD Shrink (and burning with DVD Decrypter).

I've tried ForceASPI 1.7, ForceASPI 1.8 (which uses the latest Adaptec drivers because the .exe on the official site is a 16-bit application which won't run at all). I've tried the Nero ASPI layer also. I tried changing the name of the Nero ASPI layer and using only ForceASPI 1.7 or ForceASPI 1.8 and it wouldn't burn.

Here's the system I'm trying to burn on:
    Toshiba Satellite 1130 Laptop
    1.8ghz Intel Celeron (P4 Based) 1.8Ghz Mobile Processor
    256mb DDR Ram
    Windows XP Pro SP1 (Fully patched and updated)

Here is my Zynet 5.25" USB2.0 Enclosure
    http://www.zynet.com.tw/download/DM/CD-R3.jpg
    And manual: http://www.zynet.com.tw/download/manual/ee/cdr3u2.htm
    There is only firmware for it for win98.

The burner I have once again is a LG GSA 4163B 16x Super Multi DVD/CD Rewriter.
    I also upgraded the LG GSA 4163B to the latest Firmware, Version A103.

I also have an external 3.5" usb2 hard drive enclosure that runs fine so I already have the enhanced usb2 drivers.

It seems like I'm not the only one with this problem.
    Like I said, I can burn DVD's using DVD Decypter and DVDShrink fine. It's just CD-R's I'm having trouble burning. Oh and don't even suggest installing SP2, that would be the last thing I'd do.

My other computer doesn't have the hard disk space (only has a 6.1gb drive) nor the CPU (an AMD K6-2 550) to handle DVD burning so I don't want to install the burner into it.

I had some success with CloneCD. I converted .bin/.cue to CloneCD format (.img/.ccd/.sub) with UltraISO 7.5.2.986 opened up CloneCD 5.1.0.0 clicked on "write image to disc" and put the speed at 8x. It did it's thing successfully and my standalone plays it as it should like it has chapters and everything. CloneCD uses it's own ASPI Layer, Elby something so that's probably why it works.

It would be good if we had a list of software that does work with External USB2.0 DVD-Writers (firewire too, if that doesn't work either).

I know these apparently seem to work:
    Roxio Easy Media Creator (didn't work for me, but apparently worked for someone else in the other thread)
    CloneCD (perhaps CloneDVD does too) (worked for me).
    CopyToDVD (worked for someone else in the other thread).
    DVD Decrypter + DVDShrink (I was able to copy and burn several large DVD's to DVD-R with this combination.

It seems that software that uses it's own ASPI layer and not Nero's seems to work. Some work with the system ASPI layer, some don't. BurnAtOnce uses SPTI but even with ProDVD installed (which it requires for DVD's and doesn't seem to read my DVD Burner without it) it won't burn. I've mentioned this on the burnatonce forums.

Which ASPI Layer you people with USB2 Enclosures and Internal drives had the most success with?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

don't take this the wrong way but you're simply attacking the 20page long thread in the same way but calling it by another name. Not knocking your intentions but i'd have thought for something long-running like this it's surely better to hang in there with that epic thread. it's gotta be easier than starting another epic and trying to follow both. I've been following said epic and see how Craig from Nero has put a lot of effort in among many others.
    I have a couple of external enclosure but have no problems, but am intrigued as to what the cause is - i believe it's leaning towards usb issues, and not software in general.

3. D-503

D-503 Member

No. I'm trying to make a list of software that works with external usb2 drive enclosures with internal drives and Nero isn't one of them. I've seen the Nero support pages and all they say is that it's a power issue. Well how come I can burn with DVD Decrypter and CloneCD but not with Nero? I would be happy to get a CD-RW disc and show him all the logs he wants to see.
    What's their other fix, put in the drive internally, well duh of course that's going to work but that would defeat the purpose of using an External Enclosure and Internal Drive in the first place. Not to mention it's not practical for laptops (which is the main reason people use External Burners).

Call this thread what you want, I don't really care what you think. All I care about is finding solutions that actually work (Not work arounds or obvious fixes which defeat the purpose of having an external enclosure). I'm quite happy to obtain and test all the software myself and put the names of them up here or own my own website.

Would you have even looked at this message if it was in the 20 page epic?

USB issues!? I went to the Intel site (which makes the hi-speed usb2.0 driver for my mainboard and chipset) and it said to use windows update (which I did) and I downloaded the driver when I got my External USB2.0 Hard Drive (months ago). I recently went to windows update again and there was no driver update. So I went to Intel site again and there is no USB2.0 driver nor on the Toshiba support site.
    How can you know it's a USB issue and not a software issue if you don't even have the problem yourself?

My chipset info:
    Chipset: Intel(R) 852/855 GM/GME chipset
    Memory Controller: 82852/82855 GM/GME
    I/O Controller 82801DBM (ICH4M)
    Integrated Graphics: Intel(R) 82852/82855 GM/GME graphics controller

4. creaky

whoaa calm down, i'm trying to be helpful.
    As i said i have read the 20pager, am following it along with a lot of other threads. Hence why i noticed that you had started to participate in the 20pager, and start your own thread also. My previous reply wasn't any kind of attack.

I think you'll find that the posters in the 20pager are most definitely interested in a fix; the fact that it's gone on so long alone proves it's a pain in the backside for all involved. At the very least it's put me off buying more enclosures.

- your choice my friend

5. D-503

D-503 Member

That's because they want Nero to work for them. Personally I can do without Nero. I've left a msg on the www.burnatonce.com forums. With a log of a burn error.

The program uses SPTI which DVD Decrypter also uses. So it's a bit weird that one works but the other doesn't so hopefully he'll be able to fix it since most of the code he used to make the program is open source and is available for Linux aswell as Windows.

This problem doesn't seem to be happening on Linux as much, in fact the fact that Linux is open source is probably what has contributed to the issue not being a big problem with Linux. Yet because everything is closed on Windows small problems can be alot harder to diagnose.

I don't see how it could be a power problem. I'm in Australia we have 240v power points. The power cord for my enclosure converts the output to 12v. Obviously there is plenty of power for it available if needed. Where as in the US and Canada and perhaps some other countries they use 110v power points. So what may very well be a problem in one country may not be the same problem in another.

I'm going to see if I can find an old CD-RW to test with and then get the newset Nero ASPI Layer and try and burn with EAC (since it uses the Nero ASPI layer). If it burns then it must be the commands Nero sends to the Nero ASPI Layer .dll (Dynamic Link Library). If it doesn't then I know it must be the Nero ASPI Layer. I'll see if I can find out what other programs use the same Layer and test with those too.

The only success I've had is with a program using SPTI and one using It's own ASPI Layer (CloneCD), CloneDVD would probably work also. I'm trying to get my hands on as much CD/DVD Burning software as possible which either uses it's own ASPI Layer, Adaptec's or Nero's.

I've already made quite a few coasters testing. I'll be quite happy if I can find a program that does pretty much all I need (Hell even if I can't find it DVD Decrypter + DVD Shrink, CloneCD + UltraISO will be all I'll need pretty much).

Sorry if I was an A-hole, I haven't had much sleep I've been trying to figure this thing out since last week and it has kept me awake.

6. creaky

it's obvious this thing is niggling at you bigtime :). You should have seen how many times i rewrote that reply so as not to wind you up.

As for the Linux angle, very good call, i'd been pondering that side of things as i use Solaris for work and Linux as a sideline hobby. To me it just seems we're all almost blinkered (ie by looking at this in purely just the Microsoft world) in this whole enclosure issue and even though Linux may bring a lot of unknowns into the equation, it could also prove (for instance) that it's down to usb drivers or something.

My gut feeling from what i've read so far (i think there's a similar epic discussion going on over on cdrinfo or cdfreaks forums, can never remember where) is that it's a usb driver type thing so Linux comparisons could certainly go a long way to proving/disproving the power issues etc etc.

7. creaky

8. D-503

D-503 Member

Strange because burning with DVD Decrypter already worked for me.

9. BTFSB

BTFSB Member

DVD Decrypter, Nero and most other applications cannot properly burn to an External USB drive PERIOD. Nero is working on it and apparently with all the updates since the beginning of the year it is not a wise choice to burn with this software. I used DVD Decrypter several times as well only to find out that it too suffers from the same dilemna. A freeware utility BurnCDCC found on Snapfiles site does a great job of burning an ISO image but thats all it can burn is an image file. I just downloaded DVDFab Platinum and DVDIdle Pro from www.dvdidle.com and from now on will not use any other software other than this. DVDFab Express is the ultimate copy product which can burn to an External USB drive without ever having any problems at all. It's in the software folks.

10. D-503

D-503 Member

DVD Decrypter works fine for me. CloneCD works well also.
    You can make an ISO with DeepBurner which is free, obviously this is handy mainly for Data CD's.

What programs do you use for CD-R's? i.e. VCD, SVCD, etc Data CD's and Audio CD's?

I think it's an ASPI & SPTI issue. Some ASPI drivers like Elby's work a treat and DVD Decrypter's SPTI works fine for me. But burnatonce's SPTI doesn't work properly and nor does the latest adaptec ASPI layer. I haven't really tried with the 4.60 one. There's a whole heap of ASPI layers here:
    http://www.dvddecrypter.com/index.php?act=download (Scroll down under the dvd decrypter mirror links).
    It has these ASPI Layers:
    ElbyCDIO driver, Patin-Couffin driver, Adaptec ASPI Driver v4.71.2,
    Adaptec ASPI Driver v4.60, Nero ASPI Driver v2.0.1.74 & GoldenHawk ASPI Driver v1.18

It would be interesting to find out which ones provide the best results with internal drives in external usb2 enclosures.

I've had the best results with the ElbyCDIO one so far. I use UltraISO to convert .bin/.cue to CloneCD format, it preserves the chaptering for Video and Super Video CD's, even KVCD, KSVCD's. While ISO does not.

11. D-503

D-503 Member

DVD Decrypter stopped working for me after I installed 3.5.4.0 , even after I went back to 3.5.3.0 so after trying many things. I installed the Adaptec 4.71.2 drivers (the official ones on Adaptec's site won't work, so I got it by looking for 4.72.2 ;-) ). I then installed DVDFab.
    It installed DVDFab Express & Gold. I had previously made an image with DVD Decrypter & DVD Shrink. So I went to burn image and it's burning fine as I type this without any damn "semaphore" errors.

Not even CloneDVD 2 would work where CloneCD does with CD-R's and CD-RW.

I'm using the same media, drivers, firmware, etc that I used with Nero, DVD Decrypter, CloneDVD 2, etc. It is in the software. If someone tells you it's your media (especially if they are the author of the program), then they are full of sh1t. If DVDFab does it, then all these other programs are obviously poorly coded.

12. squizzle

squizzle Active member

This is a lie. PERIOD. I have an external burner and have burned probably a couple hundred discs using Nero and Decrypter and I must say it's actually more reliable than my internal sometimes.

13. johnnyd54

johnnyd54 Regular member

I have 3 external drives, two on one computer and one on the other and burn most everything with nero and have never had a problem. I am not rubbing it in but usb drives in my case work(all three and all are different models) work with any programs I throw at them. Wish I could be of help but......

14. D-503

D-503 Member

Great your External USB drives work for you. We're talking about Internal drives in External Enclosures, major differance.

Please say how great Nero works for you in another thread, we want solutions, not people stating the obvious. Of course Nero is going to work with an External USB drive.

15. johnnyd54

johnnyd54 Regular member

Well excuse me sir or madam. Maybe in your wisdom you could explain the differences for us dummies.

16. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Funny, I always thought that's what an external drive really was...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  17. D-503

D-503 Member

Technically it is but both the drive and the casing are sold or manufactured together by the same people so they are less prone to conflicts with software and other problems. Where as alot of us have generic enclosures with Internal drives we installed ourselves.

I bought a Zynet USB2.0 5.25" DVD/CD/HDD Enclosure and put in a LG GSA 4163B 16x Multi Format Dual Layer DVD Writer myself.

The topic of this thread is "Software that works with [bold]USB2 Enclosed External DVD Burners[/bold]" not "Software that works with External USB DVD Drives" So please either provide helpful comments or stfu!