1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

solder wont stick to motherbord on PS2 Helllllp

Discussion in 'PS2' started by manniep3, Oct 16, 2003.

1. manniep3

manniep3 Guest

I have a V7 PS2 and when trying to solder the magic 3.1 to the board the solder wont stick. Someone Pllleese help me to git it to stick. because Im get vary mad at the ps2 And mod chip right now.

2. WEStar

WEStar Active member

get some flux.

3. manniep3

manniep3 Guest

I allready have flux is still not sticking

4. jk323

jk323 Guest

krazy glue might help

5. manniep3

manniep3 Guest

are you sure that crazy glue would work I hope your not telling me wrong man, and also I have 18 gauge wires whats the difference between 18 and 22 gauge, which is thicker

6. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

18 is thicker

7. manniep3

manniep3 Guest

so that could be the reson the solder is not sticking the wire im using is to thick. Im using 18 gauge.

Thanks For everything.

8. baabaa

baabaa Active member

USE 30 gauge - it will 'stick' - BOND easier....

Also make sure you are using a 5 core high flux solder - the more flux contained within the solder - the easier it flows, making a strong connection.....

The trouble with using thick wire, is that the surface of the conductors will dissapate the heat from the soldering iron very quickly and therefore the solder just rests on top of the conductor rather than bonding it......

A thinner gauge will not dissapate quickly, and gives the solder the heat to bond......

9. manniep3

manniep3 Guest

Thanks baabaa!

10. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Hope you get it sorted, these PS2 mods can be a little frustrating at times.....

You will of course get some smart arses saying, I have done 345 PS2 without any problems using this that and the other....etc

But that never helps.....

As devilhunt stated - the smaller the number usually means the thicker the conductor...

The recommended wire to use is called Kynar - this is a single conductor and 30 awg (very small) and is easier to get it into the small pads/pins - usually come pre-tinned so the solder should bond very easily - not much heat required if you are using an 18 watt soldering iron and good high flux solder content....

It is also recommended to use a lower number gauge for the GND and V+ connections as these carry the most current, this avoids the cable burning out - I have never used the 30 gauge for the GND and V+ just standard ribbon cable conductors....

Have a search for Kynar at http://www.farnell.com or http://www.rswww.com
    This will give you some choices....

Bit of a bugger to strip the ends as it is small - may take some practice to get it right...

I use the reverse side of side cutters to do it, which works well - it's all in the wrist....LOL.....But practice makes perfect....._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Beware of the Pixies - they move in over night and turn your life upside down

[/small]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2003