1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solder

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Bennyb, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Bennyb

Bennyb Member

I've just recieved my Magic 3 chip but I need advice on what soldering iron,tip and wires to get. Do I need flux ? Also what is the de-solder wick for ? Is it 23 wires ?
    How difficult is it to actually chip your own PS2 ?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2003
  2. iats2001

iats2001 Member

...15w soldering iron, needel tip. Radio shack has a good one but you'll need to get the smaller tip $1
    Just use the 20 wires that came with it for everything but 5v and ground, rip apart another cabel or something for something thicker for the power cabels.

Flux might make it easier.
    You might want to get a bigger wick, that 1 inch goes away real fast if you mess up.

3. Bennyb

Bennyb Member

Cheers for the reply. I'm in the UK. Didn't get any wires with it - just the chip. This may be a silly question ut why do you need thicker wires for the points you mention ?

4. iats2001

iats2001 Member

Well, you just need wires that are a little bit thicker, like the little ones in a network cable because power travels accross them.

5. jr_

jr_ Guest

The Power and Gnd circuits require more current.
    The wires are short and you could probably just use the same 30 ga wire for gnd and power but not knowing what the actual current requirements are for the chip it's better not to chance it.

I recommend a 12 watt pencil iron. The 15 watt Radio Shack Iron is marginal. I used one to start with but the 12 watt pencil is so much easier to use. $34.00 US If your having to use solderwick then you need better soldering equipment, technique or more practice.

6. Bennyb

Bennyb Member

Thanks for your help. I've ordered a 12w iron but what size tip is the largest you'd recommend to do the job ? Is 0.25mm too big to be precise ?

7. jr_

jr_ Guest

The .025 should be fine.
    Other things that will help:
    Find the smallest dia. solder you can.
    I just use std. 60/40
    Rosin flux paste or liquid. Apply with toothpick.
    Head mounted magnifier or eye loop. (must for me but your eyesight may be better than mine)

Good luck!

8. Bennyb

Bennyb Member

Thanks again

What does the flux do ?

9. jr_

jr_ Guest

The flux will help the solder transfer to the surface you are working on.

If you don't have solder experience you probably should not try this. But if you are determined to go ahead I suggest you find something to practice on and I will try to help you with any advice.

Expect it to be a bit more of a challenge then you think.
    I was surprised how difficult it is. I am an Electrical Engineer and have some experience with this kind of work. I was really surprised that non-professional people were making these mods.

It's actually not difficult if you know the techniques and have done some mods or repairs on surface mount boards before. But for just someone new to all this it's a major undertaking. I think most folks trash their PS2's and are too embarrassed to say so.

10. Bennyb

Bennyb Member

Your probably right - Now I've spent money on the chip and tools however I may as well have a crack. If I go slowly and don't wack solder all over the place then I should be ok really. Are there any particular points that are really tricky that I need to look out for. I have a version 7 and a magic 3.

11. jr_

jr_ Guest

Just go slow and dedicate the whole day to doing this.

I think most people have problems with solder bridges. For the pads if you will put a small dab of flux then coat with solder first. With a light coating of solder on the pads you should be able to lay the wire on top and apply the iron. Sould melt and solder in about 1 second. If you are having to hold more than 2 seconds you are doing something wrong. Probably your tip is not prepared.

Using too much solder is probably the mistake most folks make. So you get bridges accross circuits and have to remove with solder wick.

There are some wires you must solder directly to the chip leads. Using the right amount of solder here can be tedious. Put flux on the wire and on the chip. Pre-tin the wire with solder.

Keep your solder tip prepared and wetted with solder but wipe off excess before using.

The method I used on the chip was to get a very very small bit on the tip of the iron lay the wire on the chip lead and solder. The trick is getting the right amount on the tip. There is some solder already on these leads and you may be able to get enough by pre-tining the wires.
    I found that I needed a little more to get a good wet solder joint on these.

Trying to conventionally solder by adding solder as you heat the parts won't work. You will get too much solder and bridge to other circuits.

Also take care disassembling the unit. People probably damage them doing this also.

12. darkstar

darkstar Member

May I ask where you guys get the 12 watt pencil iron and the needle tip? I can't find it on the web or around town. A little point in the right direction would help. Thanks

13. Bennyb

Bennyb Member

I'm In the UK I guess your not but I ordered mine from www.tool-up.co.uk.

14. jr_

jr_ Guest

I got mine at Altex Electronics.
    If you just search for Weller WM120 you should find several sources and prices that vary from 30 to 70 dollars US

15. Sal24

Sal24 Member

I saw someone else say this once and it's something I now live by when making these type of tiny solder points. You should almost not be able to see the solder on the needle. Me and a friend decided to try and mod a PS2 and totaly destroyed the first one...we used what we thought was a tiny amount of solder and bridged a ton of connections.

Since the first experience we have modded 4 systems and they all took under an hour and ran perfectly.

Make sure you also brace your arm against something too, makes it much easier to apply solder in the exact spot. Also, make sure you have a CLEAR diagram. We made 2 bad solder points because our first diagram sucked. Use the diagrams from modchip.ca...they are VERY clear 2mb pictures that dont allow you to mess up the solder points.
    Also find a dis-assembly diagram...will make putting it together much easier.

The best solder I found for the job came as a soft compound in a tube. We melted a little onto the tip, waited for the liquid to smoke away and then applied it.
    When soldering the wires to the board make sure you presolder the wire, place it on the contact point, than heat for 1-2 seconds. Release and it should be soldered.

This is all a quick and incomplete thought, but should give you a few good insights into making your mod work the first time.

-Sal

Last edited: Jan 8, 2003
  16. holts

holts Guest

jr how do you test the wire to make sure you have not crossed the solder over can you use a electrical tester i have taped a needle too one end of the tester then touch one end of the wire and use the needle to touch the chip is this okay

17. jr_

jr_ Guest

The solder bridge will be visible. You should have no problem knowing if you make a bridge. Electical testing is ok but there will probably be some conductivity between some points so you could fool yourself. Just a visual with an magnifier should be sufficient.
    If you can't see a gap between 2 points then you have a problem.

18. freakyg

freakyg Member

Also, when your all done and ready to put your ps2 back together, do yourself a huge favor. Don't forgett to apply thermal tape to your chip. Once your done you're going to hate having to take apart your ps2 because of heat crashing problemse. Check this out for a pic:

http://www.neoasic.com/stick.htm

http://www.neoasic.com/heat-test.htm

19. freakyg

freakyg Member

jr_ - I used your tips from about 3 weeks ago. I've successfully modded about 4 ps2's since then. Thanks again!

20. holts

holts Guest

Does anyone now if there is any pictures on the web of a v4 ps2 with magic 3 chip installed so i can get a idea of which way to do my ps2