1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soldering bios on v1-4

Discussion in 'PS2' started by flight, Feb 12, 2003.

1. flight

flight Member

Does any one have a technique for solder ing the bois chip these are very small and esily briged. If i find a way i will post it

2. bluebus

bluebus Regular member

I don't think there is any special technique. You just have to be very careful. What I do is put a little flux on the point with a needle or something and then the solder tends to just want to stick to that point and not want to bridge to the other.

3. newbee101

newbee101 Regular member

someone told me to use razor blades between the legs. Make sure the razors are coated with white out. I never tried this but test it out first. PLEASE IF YOU USE THIS METHOD LET ME KNOE IF THIS HELPED!

bluebus what type of flux did you use and where did you purchase it?

GOOD LUCK DUDE

4. bluebus

bluebus Regular member

The stuff I used is called "Kester self cleaning soldering paste flux"
    I just got it at the local hardware store. I don't think there is anything special about it but it works great. I've tried with and without and never again will I go without. Makes the job 100 times easier and faster.

5. newbee101

newbee101 Regular member

The Flux paste I purchased is a "lite brownish gel/jelly like compound" I tried it but sizzles as the iron touches the surface and solder does not stick. It also says it's not for electical soldering and piping only..but this the only stuff I could find. Any suggestions?

6. _Filo_

_Filo_ Member

Could someone elaborate on the razor trick. I am about to do my mod (waiting for my .10mil solder tip in the mail) and intend to use a razor.

Am I right in understanding that the 'sharp' bits of the razor need to be covered in some way? As to not touch the board?

If so, what/how do I cover .. Any tape etc would get burnt by the iron would'nt it ??

Thanks

7. jr_

jr_ Guest

I have never used the razor blade but what you need it an exacto-knive blade so you can use the tip to get between pin you are sodering to and the one next to it and have room for your iron.
    You need something like Play dough on the top of the chip to hold the blade in place.
    You then work to the blade.
    The solder is not going to want to stick to the stainless steel surface of the blade.
    If you use silver bearing you may have to coat the blade, not sure but that stuff does stick to almost any metal.

8. flight

flight Member

when i worked at a fiber company i found a tape that can't be melted by an iron at 600degrees. Its is an esd tape not even for soldering. Its called kapton tape my freind that still work there is going to scupe me up some i will give it a try with the blade and post the results here. Also what iron takes .10mm Tip i am going the buy a new iron now because mine only takes a .8mm. where to get a .1mm tip Thank alot for all your help.

9. jr_

jr_ Guest

It can be hard to find a tip that small.
    If not I would try to get at least a .4 mm or 1/64 "