1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soldering Extra Fans

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by retrobean, Sep 16, 2007.

1. retrobean

retrobean Member

Hi,

I've recently repaired my 360 from its 4th set of three red lights of death, performed the xclamp mod, applied arctic silver 5 thermal compound etc.

This time I've moved the dvd drive to outside of the case, and am about to solder a large fan over the gpu heatsink, and another fan blowing air through the cpu heatsink.

I'm using the 12v point shown in the 12v fan mod for the stock fans,.

So here's the question:

Is it safe to solder in a few fans onto the mobo, surely they don't require much power, but I'm a noob with electronics, any advice would be appreciated :D

2. 916bullet

916bullet Member

4th set dam, what did u do to fix it each time, and when did u do the x-clamp mod i was hoping that would fix it for good.

3. sourD

sourD Regular member

4. retrobean

retrobean Member

First two times I sent it to Microsoft, both times it took about 2-3 weeks for them to send it back, the first one lasted about a week until the lights were back. The second lasted a whole 2 hours.

After that I was a bit pissed off with MS so I sent it to a repair company called GT Electronics, the had i back to me in 3 days, but as usual the console died again after a week of playing, they refunded the repair money though, which was decent.

As a last effort I opened the console up followed RBJTech's xclamp replacement tutorial, used arctic silver 5, and after heating the console it was alive again. But it would overheat and crash in under 5 minutes of game time if I didn't have a huge desk fan aimed at the heatsinks. With this stupid giant fan the xbox heatsinks were only getting mildly warn, whereas without the fan they would burn your skin on contact.

I'm hoping that a combo of the x-clamp mod and adding some fans inside the console will fix my box for good :\

Thanks very much for you answer :)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  5. steimy

steimy Active member

you could have just bought an upgraded fan from Talismoon, and it would have been LED and plug right in the existing spot.

Also, unless you keep your house cool all the fans in the world won't help much as all you are doing is circulating hot air around.

6. retrobean

retrobean Member

Oh yea, thanks! Forgot about the talismoon fans, just ordered some now. And my room is cool, and the 360's well ventilated, not shoved in a unit or anything. Just seems prone to overheating :(

Anyone know of a good solution to extend the xbox's dvd drive power cable?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007