1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soldering mod chip

Discussion in 'PS2' started by XxMM818X, Jan 9, 2003.

1. XxMM818X

XxMM818X Member

I have a question can someone please help me? Is it possible to solder without using a flux. Will it only work if i use a 12 watt solder iron and not the glue?

2. C&E

C&E Member

I'm not sure why type of glue yor refering to, as my soldering experience is fairly limited, however in my experience soldering without flux is much more dificult, as the solder has a tendency not to fuse with the wires or contacts. It is however possible, but considering the very small components that you will have to solder while installing a mod chip into a PS2, I wouldn't advise trying it. Also you can solder with a stronger iron, I used a 30w, but I modified it to allow me to use it more precisely, and I kept a cool, wet cloth over it in order to keep the temperature down. The first time I tried to mod a playstation, I used the same iron without the modifications, and ended up melting the contacts on one of the chips together (not bridging them, actualy melted them) so a weaker iron allows a little more room to work without excess heat being a major concern.

3. jr_

jr_ Guest

I think there is a mis-conception that the wattage equals the amount of heat. The wattage is the amount of energy used. A smaller iron will get hotter with less energy (less mass). A good quality 12 watt pencil iron will get to 800 deg F. You can burn up things nicely with one of these just like a larger iron if you leave it on the joint too long.
    A hot small tip is what you want. A cheap 15 watt iron probably won't be as hot on the tip. So you have to hold it longer and you start heating up the part.
    You can have a soldering iron not hot enough to melt solder but if you leave it on a chip long enough it will destroy it.