1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soldering on PS2 Motherboard

Discussion in 'PS2' started by nabila, Aug 25, 2003.

1. nabila

nabila Member

I recently bought a Messiah 2 pro chip and have been trying to install it. I have the official installation guide and everything, but however they really have a brief description of soldering to the 'VIA'. With practice i'have developed enough skills to solder all the tiny points, but cant continue doing it because i dont know about the 'VIA'. Does anybody know what i'm talking about, i would appreciate anyhelp. I even asked a certified electrician, but since he never worked on motherboards he never heard of a VIA.

The installation guide says if u mess up that step, then u mess up the whole motherboard.
    Someone pls help............

2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Do not have any reference to the VIA you are talking about however.....

I deal with electronics and it could mean VIA HOLE - this is a hole in the pcb that JOINS to other tracks (small holes on the pcb).

These holes have through plating to ease the design of circuit boards....to join multi layered board tracking up.

This is maybe what you are talking about......

WARNING!!!!!

If you damage these VIA holes, then it could render your PS2 inoperable....

These holes are covered in resin, the resin needs to be removed BEFORE applying heat - DO NOT USE SOLDERING IRON TO REMOVE RESIN.
    A small screwdriver to scratch the resin off will suffice...

Hope this helps....

3. nabila

nabila Member

I think it will do. Thanx a lot BaaBa. I'm going to show ur post to a more experienced friend of mine who is practically doing the whole thing.

However just to make sure, i'm sending u the link to the actual pdf. file. If u could find time to go over one paragraph(on 2nd page) and be sure, that would be greatly appreciated.

Any other opinions frm anyone else will also be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance.

4. nabila

nabila Member

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Yep Nabila

Looked at the link, and as I said it is referring to the via holes.

Your friend NEEDS to follow the recommendations VERY CLOSELY.

I would recommend, removing the lacquer with a small screwdriver and a small amount of pressue and a VERY STEADY HAND just to lightly scratch the lacquer away, then tin the area, tin the wire and join with the solder iron for 1-2 secs only - test the join with a LITTLE side to side movement (to make sure it doesn't snap) and then check the continuity with a dvm - make sure no power is on the PS2 whilst doing this....

If your friend is experienced, he/she will understand the instructions easily.

Hope this helps.....and good luck.

Any other q's - just post.....Baaaaaaaaa!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2003
  6. nabila

nabila Member

This is pretty good. Thnx a lot. I know how to tin the iron and the wire but not "the area". How would I go about tinning it. The holes on the board are really small and I don't know how to tin them. Also is there a special method to scratch off the laquer and are there any websites detailing such procedures?

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

The link you provided, suggest to brush solder paste over the via hole - to remove the lacquer, however I do not think this is a solid way of removing the lacquer.

I use a very SMALL screwdriver and a a steady hand and lightly scratch it (being very careful NOT to press on hard)you should then see a copper colour showing when fully removed.

Then tin your iron tip and just wipe the via hole with the tip - add some solder aswell but DO NOT leave the iron tip on the via hole just WIPE it over it - you should then SEE that copper colour turns silver - indicating that it is tinned....

I do not know of any links that give this information, it is the method I use successfully - as I deal in electronics as my job, I am experienced in soldering so it is very easy for me to do it this way...

Hope this helps.

8. nabila

nabila Member

that helps a lot..
    however new problem. If u click on the link again and go to the 8th page, the second picture shows soldering to the cd/dvd controller. These points aren't like normal pads or vias. This is like a flat copper plate. On the 2nd picture it shows wire soldered to it. When soldering through it does the wire go through the copper pads or do I put the wrie on top of the pad then solder to it?
    Again, thx a lot for the help and patience.

9. L-deezy

L-deezy Member

You should'nt have to solder to any VIA's at all on a V7 board. You only have to solder VIA's on V1-4 ps2 systems. To answer your question for the DVD controller points on the bottom just pre-solder the pads by putting a little bubble of solder on them. The w/ just a little bit of wire exposed, insert the exposed wire into the bubble while heating it w/ your iron. Thats all you have to do ffor each one. Pre-solder all of the first before you start to connect the wires. Hope that helped some.

10. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Yep good point L-deezy, no vias on V7 units.

And yes exactly what L-deezy said.

11. nabila

nabila Member

Thanx for all the responses, they all helped. Me and my friend have both done electrical work and whenever we had to desolder, we used desolder pump. However we're pretty sure that cant be used in this case, therefore we did get soldering braid. We have read all instructions from the back of the product to many websites and they all say the same thing, "put braid on solder, put heated iron over braid, remove together". However this has only taken off very little solder and we weren'e able to fix bridges. Are we doing something wrong, since this is our first time working on motherboards, everything is new to us. Any help would be appreciated...

12. nabila

nabila Member

ok, desoldering problem solved. Got some solder paste which made work a lot easier.

Now i would like some tips from any one of you 'experts' on soldering to a resistor, the small ones on the ps2 motherboard. On this one step we have to solder to one side of a resistor for the main power of the ps2, (veeeryy tiny). Any tips ppl, finding it hard, very hard.

13. nabila

nabila Member

14. baabaa

baabaa Active member

As you look at the top of page, the point for the power is on the resistor cluster...any 1 of the 3 (on the left side)

To the left of this (below the chip is a soldered pad - looking at it, this is DIRECTLY connected with the resistor cluster - so this point would suffice...
    Or the via hole cluster just below the resistor pack....

You need to get a dvm and check the continuity - zero ohms - beep before trying it, but from what I can see this would be ok....

Last edited: Aug 30, 2003
  15. nabila

nabila Member

ok new question...
    The playstation was all disassembled and accumulating dust cuz we couldnt find time to solder it. Therefore yesterday me and my friend put it back together to see if we messed up the motherboard and to see if it works normally. Well we put it together and everything works except the eject button. The LED on it glows fine, the power buttons work fine but the button won't eject the tray. When physically the tray is pulled out still on the track, and the Ps2 is turned on, it takes it inside just like normal. So i'm guessing that means there's nothing wrong with the mechanism. There are 4 cables that connect to the cdrom or something below it, one of this is the main reset/eject button cable, and the reset button works fine, therefore i'm guessing, if anything was wrong with the cable the reset button wouldn't work either. Other cables are, the one connected to the motor, which is perfectly inserted, and there's this fat one which is probably the main cable for the dvdrom. There is this other cable which i dont know what it connects to. After checks and double checks all connections seem to be intact. And as far as we figured out the cdtray's mechanism, the track it moves on and stuff, everything seems to perfect. Anyone know what's goin on? Please any help would be greatly aprreciated.....

16. baabaa

baabaa Active member

The eject/reset button are attached via a membrane connection - CHECK THIS out, at both ends, and also check to see if you connected it upside down in the connector on the board...

Also check for breaks on that cable using a dvm - they are very flimsy especially where it goes into the switch assembly - over time it can break....or by forcing/overbending it.

17. nabila

nabila Member

Another question. ON page 6 of the pdf. they show the soldering of the SCEx, its extremely hard to do since there's this another resistor on the back of it, and there's this possiblity of ruining that. However there is much more space to work with on the other side of the chip. Is it absolutely necessary to do it on the left side as shown in the picture. Can it be done on the other side???