1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soldering Problem? Please help

Discussion in 'PS2' started by pat908756, Jan 16, 2003.

1. pat908756

pat908756 Member

Ok guys, I soldered a Magic 3.1 chip into my V5 PS2. Apparently I messed up somewhere along the line because, after I was done, it didn't work. I took the chip out and it still doesn't work. Here is what is does:

When started, the system goes to the browser/config screen, but there is an odd droning background noise along with the normal sound (the droning never stops).

When an original PS2 game is put in, it goes to the browser screen, recognizes it as a PS2 disc, but says there is no data.

When an original PS1 game or a backup PS2 game is put in, the red "Please insert a real game disc" screen comes up.

When a DVD Movie is put in, the browser screen is loaded and it says "DVD Player not setup".

The only thing that works almost correctly are audio cds. They play, but with the droning in the background.

Any suggestions on what I should check on the mainboard would be greatly appreciated.

- Pat

2. bluebus

bluebus Regular member

If you've looked at every point that you desoldered with a magnifying glass and can't find anything wrong (bridged points) there isn't a whole lot you can do. I know fuses blow sometimes but I'm not sure what the symptoms of that are. There's a slight possibility that your laser is bad but that would be too much of a coincidence to happen immediately after installing the chip plus that wouldn't explain the weird noise you're hearing.

3. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

I have to agree with bluebus. Apart from checking fuses, checking to see if there are any bridged points and checking the voltages around the board there is not much you can do. You could check other forums and see if anyone else has had similar probs.

4. pat908756

pat908756 Member

Yeah, I've checked all the points, but can't find anything wrong. I'll check out the fuses today.
    In case that fuses look fine, anyone know where I can get a new V5 main board?