1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soldering the Bios

Discussion in 'PS2' started by newbee101, Feb 17, 2003.

1. newbee101

newbee101 Regular member

Does anyone have any tips on soldering the bios legs and tips on where to place the Mod chip on a v5/6 board? I hear this ? being asked alot..I want to make sure I give good advice

Last edited: Mar 6, 2003
  2. pookeye

pookeye Member

i suck at this but i suggest trying to just solder the top part instead of the bottom of the leg, the top part can be a little more easier to solder than the actual leg

3. newbee101

newbee101 Regular member

have you ever done this before? do you know of the razor technique?

4. jr_

jr_ Guest

I among others have posted these before. Try using the search on this forum to get the information you need.

Briefly: Most important is a good soldering iron with a small tip.
    Flux the wire and tin with solder
    keep tip wetted with solder and sponge before using.
    lay wire on top of leg parallel to it. gently press with iron. Should bond in 1 sec or less.
    If you can get just a very tiny piece of solder on your tip almost too small to see it works nicely. There will already be some solder on the chip leg.

Above all a good quality iron and the right tip actually make this a breeze. I actuall prefer soldering to the chip legs over the pad on the bios.

You will find tips on the razor blade technique I posted one just a few days ago, however if you have the correct tools there is no need.

Almost forgot correct size wire is very important 30 - 35 awg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2003