1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soldering with a 0.5mm tip and soldering wires onto chip legs

Discussion in 'PS2' started by socratic, Feb 11, 2004.

1. socratic

socratic Member

Is it possible to fit a mod chip (DMS3 3 V4) using a 0.5mm tipped iron. As it's the smallest tip I can get for my soldering iron I just need to know if its a good idea to attempt the modding.

Also another big concern for me is soldering the wires onto the chip legs. am I right in thinking that I dab a tiny bit of flux onto the chip leg, tin the wire, hold wire to chip leg then touch the wire with the iron? is the best way of doing this?

Sorry if I sound dumb but I've only ever done soldering at school and that didn't including solding wires to anything as small as chip legs.

Sorry if you've had these questions before but I have done a search for 'soldering' on the forum and have read everything.

Any advice will be most appreciated.

2. pma55667

pma55667 Guest

My advice, dont even try it!
    Get it done by a professional if u have no solder experience!
    I was thinking about installing the mod myself! Decided to take it along to a local store and actually wathced him install the mod, something I couldnt of done if I had 100 attempts.
    I like u my freind have the schoolboy soldering experience and trust me it aint no where near enough!
    I got a Matrix MXL2 installed for £55 (which included chip & installation.)!

3. socratic

socratic Member

hmmm fair enough..

It is something that I would like to to however..
    How hard would it be to self teach yourself something like this or would I need a degree in electronics to carry out a task such as this.

Any one got any tips for soldering the wires onto the legs of the chips? I did read something in one post about putting thick paper between the legs to stop bridging..

hows the best way to go about it?

4. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

It is difficult, but not impossible.

For bios pin soldering, try the following:

Trim the leads to ~2 mm
    Pre-tin the leads
    After pre-tinning your leads, flux them
    Hold the wire to the corresponding connection point.
    Bring iron in slow and steady, touch for a second..
    Should work.

Common mishap reasons:

1. Soldering iron tip too large.
    2. Wire too large/wrong type (stranded and/or bigger than 30 AWG
    3. Too much solder
    4. Bad routing of wiring (route wiring AROUND IC's)
    5. Wrong board points used (don't rush!)