1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solid State Media and Camcorders

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by quad355, Nov 9, 2003.

1. quad355

quad355 Member

From VHS,8 mm,Hi 8, VHS-C, Digital 8 DV's and Mini DV's. The Tape format has now also side tracked to DVD camcorders.

We have seen new camcorders being introduced with dual capturing devices like the tape as well as solid state media. The micro DV for all practical purposes is dead.

I feel anyone buying a camcorder with dual media capability can use the camcorder a bit longer than just tape as the trend is more or less on the solid state media.

What does the future really hold for the camcorder?

Will it be switching to solid state media completly, like the memory stick and Secure digital and like?

Is it not a good idea to buy a camcorder with capability to handle both.

What is the best thing for a newbie to do when considering a camera?

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the difference.
    [/small]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2003
  2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Very, very few digital camcorders allow you to record video to solid state media, normally the SD or CF slot is meant for (bad-quality, compared to actual digital cameras) photos, not for video. So, don't get confused to think that if the camcorder has a SD slot that it can actually record on SD slot. Remember that miniDV-quality takes about 10-20GB of space per 60mins and buying that amount of solid state memory would cost you same as a decent-sized car :)

EDIT:

But I do agree that once solid state media gets (much) cheaper, that will replace tapes and optical storage on portable devices._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Petteri Pyyny
    Webmaster
    http://AfterDawn.com/

Please read our guides before posting questions! Guides are available here:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/[/small]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2003
  3. quad355

quad355 Member

Well with your explanation it seems that we will still be using tapes for sometime to come.

But you will not disagree with me when I say the cost of memory will be within reach one day for recording video. I remember buying 128 mb Ram for US$300 not very long ago and today I have 512MB Corsair Low Latency DDR RAM for which I paid only US$125. Same is the case with Digital Cameras and its memory, prices of which have really come down. A year ago I bought Lexar CF Card and for the same amount I can buy twice as much today.

Just thinking of 30 GB memory stick for $200, but I know we have to wait. :)

4. koola

koola Guest

Plz let that day be soon as these mini dv tapes are horrible!