1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

solved: jtag wiring question and dash question

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by chriswhit, Aug 8, 2011.

1. chriswhit

chriswhit Regular member

I have an xenon 360 that im in the process of wiring up and I'm unsure of one little detail. When im looking at the diagram is the pin out for the 25 pin connector being shown from the side that you solder it on or from the side you plug it into? I dont wanna fry my xenon cause It wasn't cheap to find one that had never been refurbished or tampered with. http://www.onehitgamer.com/forum/threads/jtag-faq.22225/ thi diagram im looking at is about half way down the page. My other question is I'm going to install freeboot but team xecuter recommends updating to dash 7371 should I do that I'm nervous about it and if i do that from a cd like they said I need to use the Verbatim dvd+r dl right. My dash version right now is 5787. Ive never been steered wrong here so i figured I'd ask here to be sure. Ive looked at a lot of tutorials and the only place that mentions updating the dash is team xecuter. Here is a link http://www.team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54670
    Thank you for your help
    Ok somehow I missed the pin out thing in the tutorial I should sleep more than once every three days I guess but Im still not sure on the dash question

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  2. wabashman

wabashman Active member

you dont need to update the console. also, why would you spend 'a lot' of money on a xenon of all consoles?

3. chriswhit

chriswhit Regular member

I've got it wired up now. I checked all my solder points with a multimeter and everything checked out okay plus I triple checked my wiring and pin out but when I try to read my nand nandpro20d keeps saying cant find a flash controller. I went exact word for word by the tutorial. I even tried it without the 100 ohm resistors. I bought a pre wired xenon before this one with a copy of the original nand pre dumped and I got the same results with that one to. At first I thought maybe it was messed up somehow but I'm not so sure now. I'm using xp pro and I did install the portIO driver. I'm thinking my pc just isn't compatible or may be way to old but I'm not sure so I'm going to buy another pc and try it again. Does anyone have any recommendations on a pc to get. Oh thanks for the response on the dash question I really didn't wanna update it with a microsoft update. I probably should have had the first one finished but i wanted to learn how to do it and appreciate it more. Also if it died beyond repair Id be able to just build another.

4. chriswhit

chriswhit Regular member

I tried a different pc and it seems to be working now sweet. I think I didn't have enough ram in the other one. Cant wait to see if I get matching dumps.

5. wabashman

wabashman Active member

ram isnt the issue. it doesnt take that much to run nandpro. more than likely was something with your files.

6. chriswhit

chriswhit Regular member

Well I got matching dumps on the first try but nandpro keeps saying Error: 250 reading block 19D. I dumped the nand 2 more times just to see if I could get the error to go away but its the same each time. I think I read somewhere that some nands are just like that. Going to try to find it again before I go further to insure I don't brick my 360. Thank you for the responses Oh It was a corrupt file causing my other pc not to dump the nand I reinstalled fresh downloaded files on both pc's and dumped the nand with both of them and the dumps match from both pc's now so I know I'm on the right track at least. If all goes well I'll be installing the liquid cooling kit I got. Hopefully it will lessen my chances of getting the dreaded rrod.

7. chriswhit

chriswhit Regular member

I may have messed up. did I need to have my dvd drive hooked up while dumping my nand? I'm hoping not.

8. chriswhit

chriswhit Regular member

Okay I figured out what happened I had a wire come loose on my makeshift lpt cable and was able to get the nand info and build a freeboot image. Its writing to the nand on the360 now so i should know if all is good in an hour give or take a few.

9. wabashman

wabashman Active member

glad you got it all sorted. hope it turns out well for yea.

10. chriswhit

chriswhit Regular member

not quite sorted out. it finished writing to the nand but it had an error 202 programing block 19d and has 2 red lights on constantly. it wont power on. looking for info on that now. the red lights came on immediately when I started writing to the nand. not sure if thats normal or not.

11. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

this is off course bad. you have to try to reflash your nand. just put xell(ous) back and boot into that. then flash the freeboot image via xellous! block 19d is in the first 50 blocks, that holds the keyvault and xell(ous) etc. you need to reflash those again with your lpt cable.
    error 250 at the same block constantly (After a few dumps and reboot of your computer) means a bad block (i had it only once with a console in the first 50 block). that shouldn't be a problem, IF that bad block gets remapped. you can do that manually (http://team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54590), perhaps nowadays there are tools that can do it automatically (who knows?). you need to remap the bad block!!!!!!, or else your freeboot image will not work (red lights).

BUT!!!! i assume that you have a complete and full dump of your original nand; so that you can always go back to a working xbox!!!!!! i hope you made a working nand dump before fiddling around (also got your cpu key and your keyvault via xell(ous).)....

12. chriswhit

chriswhit Regular member

I put xell back on and the 2 top lights are just staying red and the power button does nothing. Do I have to get them to go out before I can reflash my nand? I remapped my nand and made a new freeboot image that doesnt have any bad blocks. is it normal for the 2 top lights to stay red like that during a nand flash. Ive never had a task beat me before and I do lots similar things. I do have 2 just like it one of which I did the jtag hack to also and had no bad blocks but it red ringed almost immediately after I finished. I dont think it was something I did I think it was the fact that it had been reflowed 4 other times and just had enough. The other I bought as a failed jtag attempt with a copy of the nand and key vault and key vault info. I have that stuff for all three of them.
    Maybe I should just buy a jtag instead of killing consoles like this. If I did buy one Id want it with the original x clamps still intacked because I dont have much faith in the rrod kits. Oh one last thing I used the jtag tool by coolshrimp version 3.50 if that helps any.

Edit: I messed with it some more. There is the same 2 lights on but it boots into a kinect looking screen with a pic of a controller and if i turn it on using the eject button it boots a blue screen that appears to be looking for something not sure what yet. When I flashed the nand with freeboot I had no dvd drive selected in the jtag tool but im not sure if I did that part right going to play with it some more after I set the drive in better so I don't overheat the gpu with a lack of airflow I'll post what happens. are the 2 red lights normal on a jtag?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  13. chriswhit

chriswhit Regular member

Im playing a game on the jtag now it has a green lite 4 the controller like its supposed to and the other top light is red but it seems normal other than that booting into a kinect dash with the power button I didnt set up a live connection. I think that's why the other one is red. When I turn it on with the eject button it boots xellous. I did have 2 red lights on the top till I set up the console settings so I'm assuming the other is red because the console wants to have the live set up. I almost want to do it just to see if it will go out but at the same time I'm not banned and even though I don't play on line I don't want to look bad in Microsoft's eyes. I also want to do more research before I mess with it to much. Thank you for the help it is greatly appreciated. Now I think I got an idea what i need to do to fix the other 2 consoles though the rrod one i think I'll just save for parts. oh I was wondering will a jtag play burned games if the dvd drive is stock? I heard the drive doesn't have to match the console but Im not sure. Oh how hot should my heat sinks get? Ill be going liquid probably tomorrow but they seem to get hot fast. thanks again

14. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

i really, really don't understand what you are talking about. it all doesn't make any sense to me

dvd key must always match, so key in drive and in keyvault must always match. with jtag you can change the dvd key (in the keyvault) to anything you like, but they must match to play games. you need a flashed drive to play copies. you don't need a (flashed) drive to play games straight of the/any hard drive.

15. chriswhit

chriswhit Regular member

What I meant was I got 2 red lights stuck on up on the top where the rrod thing would show. they turn green when I power the controller on but I dont have to sync the controllers they just work even new ones that have never been synced other than that it runs good. At first I thought the 2 red lights was because I needed to do the console settings but they are on constant unless I got a controller on. I think I know what it is and think I know what to do to fix it from reading many posts and forums and seeing a few videos.
    I had remapped the bad block and checked it after and all was good but when flashing it to the nand it gave me error 202 writing block 019d again and those lights came back on. Im guessing that block has to do with the controllers being able to sync properly and maybe something to do with the key vault. I found an easier way to write the nand watching videos so I'm going to use that tutorial which also describes fixing controller sync issues. I did play around with it some and xex menu works like it should. I wish I didn't use the jtag tool version 3.50 though it let me choose which dashboard I wanted to use very easily.
    Im also wondering if its possible that I might have a bad nand chip causing an error on block 019D though I'm not sure if that's possible or not. I haven't found much info on that yet. Thank you for the info on the key vault and the stock drive question. I have 4 good key vaults unless I fix one of my other xenon consoles. I haven't tried to run any of my games from other regions yet and I'm checking around on the web for info on that now. I'm hoping I don't have to keep changing my region code using xellous when I want to run one of those games. I can update my flash with a usb stick quickly I think by what Ive seen on a few videos. I do want to add a few things to my jtag like fan speed control and a few others but I gotta research a bit more to see if I have to do an updated flash with my nand or if I can just put that file on a usb stick and boot it with the eject button. I'm learning more about jtags each day which is good. I do want to take care of those 2 red lights on the top and the sync issue before I go much further but I also want to figure out if my updated flash on the usb stick needs to somehow have the other files I want to use from xbins like the fan speed control and such or if that can be done later. I think I can find info on that with a little more poking around. I did go liquid cooled but Im still using the stock fan just to keep a bit of airflow inside the console to expel any heat from other motherboard components which I'm unsure if that is needed or not just figuring the cooler the better. Again thank you.

16. Modking30

Modking30 Regular member

Sounds like xmas tree flashing to me. Means you screwed up the nand. As long as you have a good dump of the nand, you can correct that and reflash. I think I used easyjtag or something last time. Follow Wash's guide and you'll get it unless that xenon is junk.

17. chriswhit

chriswhit Regular member

This is definately different than the xmas tree lights. after unpluging it for the nite now I have to sync the controllers to use them. I did use them on another 360 though. these lights don't switch from top to bottom like xmas tree lights. There just the top 2 lights staying red even with the console off. everything else works the way it should. The lights go green with 2 controllers on but go red as soon as you turn the controllers off. The lights first came on immediately when I flashed the the nand the first time and right as the nand was starting to write. I reflashed it using Wash's instructions remapping the bad block but the lights never went out. I got the same write error as the first time except the console works which it didn't after the first flash. Ive looked through hundreds of posts tutorials and watched lots of videos and haven't found any info on a similar problem. I got so many controllers its not even funny I'm wondering now if I just grabbed one that was already synced before the flashing was done and just thought it was one of my new ones. I'm going to try flashing it through xellous with a tutorial I found using a usb stick to see if it fixes it. If its the same after I'm just gonna use it till it dies where it seems to work okay unless someone has an idea what mite cause that issue. I do think it has something to do with the keyvault in some way or other but I could be wrong.

18. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

if it works all fine, just leave it.
    it might be related to the jtag injection points you use. the aud_clamp method (transistor) use other injection points then the old xenon method (diode method). you can change it manually, you have to patch the smc manually and change the jtag injection points. the 'old' jtag points where on the rol board (connection underside of mainboard), which had some lighting issues with the rol board. they changed the injection points couple of times (for both hdmi and non hdmi console).
    i never had any issues with xenon jtags (zephyrs... pain in the...!). i always used the diode method.

19. wabashman

wabashman Active member

no he cant change it. there is no aud_clamp method for xenons. and as for not using aud_clamp on hdmi boards, that is just stupid. you should always use at least aud_clamp method when dealing with hdmi jtags.

on topic, sounds like your rf board is shit or you still have a bad block that needs remapped. but if the console is working, and isnt bothering you, just leave it as is.

20. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

you CAN change the jtag injection points with the smc tool, you can choose your own points (there are 4 to choose from). for those that killed the standard points like db1f1, the smc tool can help out to patch the smc.bin to inject the payload via other points.

i never said that he can or should use the aud_clamp method on a xenon, since they don't have hdmi onboard there is no point. you can however use the transistor method on a xenon, but there is no point.