1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOLVED: WinAVI (10) - Subtitles?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by jlrm365, May 6, 2010.

1. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

I consider myself well versed in all things ConvertX, but I would like a bit of perspective and so I am trying other titles. I like WinAVI Video Converter and have been using Version 10.

What I don't understand is how to make it pick up and convert subtitles. In ConvertX, you make sure that the XviD and subtitle file have the same name and then ConvertX picks up both, automatically.

I have made sure that the XviD I have and the subtitle file (SRT) share the same name but, after having tried three conversions with WinAVI, I have never had it take the subtitles and convert them.

It is not that the subtitles are there and just have not been turned on. They are not there, despite having been in the original source folder (as I said, with the same name as the XviD).

Is there a trick that I am missing?

What have I got to do, to ensure that WinAVI Video Converter picks up and converts both the film and its subtitles?

Thanks.

2. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

My experience with Winavi is that it can only hardcode subtitles, you will no be able to turn them on/off.

3. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

The reason I specified version 10 is because it has options to customise subtitles.

Do you mean that what it does is burn the subtitles / hardcode, rather than convert, them?

4. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Yes, I thought the subtitles will be only permanent, always on. I previously have used version 8, but tried version 10, and the subtitles can hardcoded or removable, can be turned on/off.
    Not sure what you are doing, why cannot get them.
    Did you enable them?
    Do you see the "External SRT" under the Video stream and audio stream in the "Decoder" window"?

5. rylai17

rylai17 Member

so in version 8 you can on/of the subtitle? why is it not included in version 10? I am also wondering to try WinAVI, I will watch for this post as guide for subtitling

6. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

No, sorry if I wasn't clear...in version 8 was only possible to hardcode the subs, version 10 can add subtitles that can be turned on/off.
    However, I find ConvertxtoDVD, or even the free DVD Flick much better, more options when it comes menu creation...

7. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

This is what I see (continued, underneath image):

[​IMG]

It clearly recognises that subtitles are there.

As a test, I tried taking out the SRT file and loading the XviD and it didn't recognise them then, so clearly it realises when subtitle files are / are not present.

The trouble is that, after the conversion, no subtitles are apparent: in the converted folder, on the image (as hard-coded) or optionally.

They just don't seem to be there, post conversion, and so I am wondering what I am missing.

8. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Did you check the option "Enable Subtitles"?
    If you did, what player do you use on your computer? Using VLC to play the resulting DVD folder,, you should be able to go to Video->Subtitle Track and enable the subs.
    . [​IMG]

9. rylai17

rylai17 Member

Thanks for the clarification and the guide

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  10. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

It's a thread, rather than a guide, and you're welcome to start one also.

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  11. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

That is on by default. By "trick" earlier, I meant something that wasn't clear.

As it turns out, almost by accident, I managed to find the answer. On the Encoder tab are some general settings. At the bottom, despite there being a seperate "Subtitle Adjust" tab, there is "Subtitle Settings".

By default, it was on "Yes". I changed it to "No" and that had the desired effect. I don't know what it had been doing, but that made the subtitles visible and optional, where they had not been before.

This is what I mean:

[​IMG]

Thanks all the same. This is now a "solved" thread.

12. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Not really...The only thing that you did is change from hadcoded subtitles to on/off subs. That's what that option does, if you leave it to "Yes", the subs will be hardcoded, so you should've had the subs anyway, even see them in preview. You MUST've fiddled with other settings/"tricks".

13. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

I did not, which is why I did not mention it. I tend to work in sequence and try one thing at a time. Nothing changed, in terms of settings, except that one.

In any case, the result is that it now works as expected. No issue remains. Problem solved.