1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some Advise Please

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by jchandle, Mar 13, 2005.

1. jchandle

jchandle Guest

Hello everyone, I am new here and I wonder if I can get some help. Here is my situation: I have a PS2 V5 and a Magic 3.1+ modchip. I installed the modchip myself,redid it several times and finally got it working. Now all my PS1 games, originals and copies, work fine. The DVD movies work fine, Original PS2 games work fine. But, some PS2 backups work fine and others don't.
    The ones that don't work do this:
    They load very slow and eventually lock up completely, or they stop and go with the audio wobbeling.
    From reading other posts, I think that this may be the cheap DVD media that I use.
    I use Alcohol 120% and sometimes DVD Decrypter.
    I always burn at 1X.
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you very much.

2. keras

keras Regular member

What brand of media are you using? I started out using Teon dvd-r 8x. (Cheap stuff, I use it for movie backups). I experienced problems with the game freezing or just not playing at all.

I switched to Maxell -r's for Ps2 backups and have had no problems since. I recommend going out and getting a couple single/three packs of different brands and find out what's the most compatible.

I hear Ritek disks are really good also (I don't know, I haven't tried them yet)

3. jchandle

jchandle Guest

Thanks for the reply.
    I have been using GQ (Great Quality) 4X that I buy from Fry's Electronics. They have been great for DVD movies.
    Do you think that I should use something else for PS2 backups?

4. keras

keras Regular member

Yep, I would try another brand media as a first attempt to try and solve your problem. I still use the cheap brand media for movie backups and they work great(The Teon brand media even plays well for movies in my Ps2), but they just didn't seem to agree with my Ps2 for games.

5. jchandle

jchandle Guest

Thank You, I will try that tomorrow.

6. jchandle

jchandle Guest

Great News.
    I bought some different Media and now the games work great. I bought Verbatim 16x DVD's and I have not had a problem yet. BUT, I don't know if it is because of the different brand, or the faster speed....4x compared to 16x. Either way, Thanks for your help.