1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some assistance with my dvd rom please...

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by IceCream, Nov 14, 2004.

1. IceCream

IceCream Member

I know there are similiar threads out there but when I installed my dvd writer I clicked on the "Add New Hardware" tab to remove my old cd-r writer directories and when I completed that and rebooted it reset alot of my settings and suffice to say my new dvd writer became drive D and my dvd-rom has been completely erased from my computer and it only recognises the new writer. I have downloaded the supposed drivers on the internet and I have done restores and went to Device Manager and everything and can't get anything to recognise my rom. It is a Samsung DVD Rom SD-608. If any of you know what to do please let me know. It has been quite frustrating.

2. IceCream

IceCream Member

I still can't get the computer to recognise my rom. If any of you know what to do please help me...thanks

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi IceCream, Not sure if this will help. Do you have both the DVDrom and DVD burner on the same IDE cable? If yes, try installing the DVD burner as master on the secondary IDE and the DVD Rom as slave on the Primary IDE cable. Sometimes you get install problems if both are on the same cable, it even gets worst if they are the same brand.

Jerry

Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  4. IceCream

IceCream Member

Thanks for your reply. I think I have them both on the same "IDE" cable. There is one cable with two connections for two devices. I have tried finding what "slave" and information on making one device primary and one secondary but I couldn't really find much. I looked in my computer and it seems that every connection is used up so maybe I am not understanding what you mean...

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

on each ide drive there is a set of jumpers(on cd/dvd type drives usually between audio & ide connector). that set of jumpers determines whether master, slave or cable select. you can only have 1 master or slave on 1 cable if 2 masters or slaves you have a conflict. so check the end of your drives & see what settings you have & say set dvdburner as master & dvdrom as slave on same cable

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

The big wide ribbon connecting cable (usually gray) are your IDE cables. You can connect 2 devices to each one. Your main hard drive is always the MASTER on primary cable. Whatever you attach to the other connector on that same cable has to be set as SLAVE. The other wide gray ribbon cable has 2 connectors on it also. So as you connect devices to that cable, one has to be set as MASTER and one set as SLAVE. As ddp stated there are jumpers on each device to select MASTER or SLAVE. What I was trying to get across was that the dvd rom and dvd burner may work better if they are each on a different cable. If you are not sure what to do, maybe ask a friend that has a little more computer background for some help. Good luck.

Jerry

7. IceCream

IceCream Member

Thanks guys for your help. I read my dvd writer manual again and I studied the IDE section and about SLAVE and MASTER and I noticed that my rom was set at MA (which it has been for the last 4 years)and of course my writer was set at master. So for some reason the writer was the dominant one and stopped the rom from loading in at all. After I put the rom at slave it loaded right in when I started up my computer and is working great right now. Thanks for pointing me into the right direction.

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

your welcome, teach & learn

9. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

We always like it when the problem gets corrected.

Jerry