1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some Burned PS2 Discs Stop Working...

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by pMed, Dec 22, 2004.

1. pMed

pMed Member

I'm pretty new to burning ps2 discs so I'm hoping there's some simple explanation and solution to my problem...

Some of the DVD .iso's that I grab from the binary newsgroups won't work. Everything that I burn makes it to the "Playstation 2" screen, but some of them (about 40%) then lock up on the game's load screen and refuse to go any further - they just sit there and say "loading" in whatever graphical form that particular game's designers thought a good one.

Is there something I'm forgetting to do? All of the games are DVD games (800mb+) and I'm burning them to DVD-R's as .iso images. Should I be patching them first? Is my laser bitched?

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks

2. bigmac999

bigmac999 Regular member

What brand DVDR's are you using? What speed are you burning at? What software are you using to burn your DVDR's?
    Try a different brand of DVDR's. You need to be burning at the slowest speed possible for best reliability, 4x at the very most. Use Alcohol 120% to burn your DVDR's.

3. pMed

pMed Member

Thx for the quick reply...

I'm using RiData DVD-R's at 4x, tried at 1x and I get the same problem. I'm using Toast Titanium on an Apple G5, and I would suspect the software if the majority of the discs I burn didn't work... but they do.

Should I be trying different media? Could this be a modchip thing?

4. bigmac999

bigmac999 Regular member

Try different DVDR's.

5. pMed

pMed Member

What brand works for you?

6. bigmac999

bigmac999 Regular member

I have a V9 PS2 and have always used Datawrite Classic DVD+R 4x, and have never had one fail yet. I'm not sure if DVD+R works with all versions of PS2 though.

7. vgaitez

vgaitez Member

I have a version 7 and I only burn to + r's . All work . I use Imation or sony..

8. dragulaAC

dragulaAC Active member

models after v5 shouldn't have a problem reading +r's. What method are you using to play your backups, modchip or a swap method?

9. pMed

pMed Member

DragulaAC - I'm using a Duo2SE chip. If Bigmac999 is using Datawrite Classic DVD+R 4x on his V9 (mine's a V9 too) and these have yet to fail for him, I'll go pick some of those up - even if it doesn't fix the problem it'll at least rule out the media as the source of my problem.