1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some games can't be played on my Japanese console!

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by tracyhai, Jul 3, 2007.

1. tracyhai

tracyhai Member

I purchased a Japanese Wii, it works fine with the games we have. Both "backed ups" and originals. Last week, I borrowed my friend's "Cooking Mama" backed-up game to play, it didn't work, it froze after the main "Cooking Mama" screen showed up. After we clicked start, it turned into a white screen. After that particular game, we noticed that it happened to a couple of other games as well. We though it might be because they were backed up games, so we went to purchase the original US game from Gamestop, that didn't work either. The same thing happened to both the backed up and the original games. Is there anyone out there knows what's going on?
    or the solutions to that?
    thanks so much~

2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Make sure your Modchip is region free compatible. If you need to enable the feature on your Modchip then make sure it is enabled. if your Modchip doesn't support region override then you will need to use a region patcher to patch the game disc to the correct region of your Wii System

Not all game disc are region compatible with other Wii systems. This means some USA game disc will not be compatible with your NTSC(J) Wii System.

The link below is a guide that list the games and if they are region compatible with your Wii system. The sections you want to look under are NTSC(U) TO NTSC(J) or PAL TO NTSC(J). Unfortunately the list is down at the moment so you will need to wait till the list is restored before finding out if these USA game disc are region compatible with your NTSC(J) Wii System...

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/index.php/Wii_Region_Free_Patcher_Compatibility_List#NTSC-U_.28USA.29_to_PAL

I almost positive that the USA version of Cooking Momma is not region compatible with NTSC(J) Systems. This is why you will get the white screen or the Wii locking up after booting the game via Disc Channel.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  3. tracyhai

tracyhai Member

thanks so much for your reply!
    We are able to play some US original games, does that mean our Wii key is region free?

4. larrylje

larrylje Active member

You can turn the region override on by using the Wiikey setup disc. But if your NTSC(J) Wii is playing some USA games then it should be turned on already.

Just remember due to the stealth mode of the Wiikey when inserting the Wiikey setup disc the default setting (OFF) will be showing for the Region Override. But once you change it to ON and save the settings it will be ON. Even tho the default setting will always say off.

Hopefully soon the website above will be back online so you can look the games up that your having an issue with. More then likley they are not region compatible that is why your having issues with them.

5. tracyhai

tracyhai Member

thanks, I will check out the website when it's back on!

6. bakryh

bakryh Member

tracyhai,
    i have the same prob. My jap wii firmware is 2.0J, wiikey modded. What's yours? I have about 22 NTSC(U) discs which are playable. Do you have any NTSC{U} that cant be played?. so far NTSC(J) such as sonic, banana monkey, bomberman no problem on my wii console but i cant played because its all jap langguae
    Same problem happen when i tried to play mama cooking. It seem any games that having "wii/GC" written on the cover/disc cant be played. The wii console can read the disc and on the screen it say "press start". I pressed start button but nothing happen, I cant proceed further. If you manage to play mama cooking pls let me now.

To others, I heard the latest firmware is 2.1J, can I update the firmware? Where to get the latest firmware and how?

7. larrylje

larrylje Active member

@bakryh

Whoever told you that is in the stone age. The newest firmware is 3.0J at this time. You can get the update off the Internet by going to the Wii settings or update with a newer game disc.

At this time there isn't a game disc out that has a 3.0J update on it but soon they will. Also make sure you use a Japanese game disc when doing the update. If you update with an NTSC(U) game disc then you can brick or semi-brick your Wii.

If you want to update Via Internet. First make sure you connected to the net. Now click on Wii settings on the main menu. Now click on the wrench. If you have problems reading Japanese then use the below link to translate the Wii settings menu...

http://www.sheylara.com/wii/wii_system_settings_translation_v1.0.pdf

The reason you can not play the NTSC(U) version of Cooking Mama on your NTSC(J) Wii is because the game is not region compatible with your Japaneses Wii. So the only way you can play Cooking Mama is with a Japanese version of the game.

Go to the below link for a region compatibility list of games that are NTSC(U) or PAL compatible with your Japanese Wii.

Look under the sections of NTSC(U) TO NTSC(J) OR PAL TO NTSC(J). The games shaded in green are compatible and will work. The games shaded in Orange are not compatible and will not work.

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/index.php?title=Wii_Region_Patcher_Compatibility_List

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  8. bakryh

bakryh Member

TQ Larrylje for thr info. In future if you know any game disc that can upgrade to 3.OJ pls post it here.

9. seanandco

seanandco Member

Hi,

I too just bought a Jap wii 2.0J pre-modded with wiinja v1 (the worst modchip i kno!). I have done a lot of research and know about the region and bricking issues. The problems I have faced are when trying to play some games. Even after patching Resident Evil 4 (NTSC/U) with both WiiBrickBlocker and RegionFrii, the game is recognised but does not load. I have checked the compatability list and Resident Evil 4 (U) should work. I also have had the same problem when trying to play Transformers (U). It has however worked with older games like Zelda or Need 4 Speed (U).

Is this problem due to my outdated wiinja chip or my 2.0J firmware or down to both these factors?

Am I getting