1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some games skip or freeze.

Discussion in 'PS2' started by jdb34, Nov 19, 2004.

1. jdb34

jdb34 Member

Currently I am having problems with SpiderMan2 and BloodRayne 2. I have successfully backup'd up NBA Live 05,Rainbow Six 3 and Medal Gear Solid 2.
    I have a v4 PS2(atleast I believe I do), using the Swap Magic DVD version 2.0.
    Burner is TDK 1280B(DVD +/-R, +/- RW)
    The media I used for the burns of NBA Live, RBS3 and MGS2 are CompUsa brand +R 4x. I have yet to have a problem booting up a game, it just during game play it either freezes or skips, and at times the audio sync is off.
    When using the 4x media, it would only allow me to burn as low as 2.4x. I have done the same method with SpiderMan and Bloodrayne, that I have with the other successful backups.

After reading a few forums, I figured it might be the speed of the media and type. So I went and purchased DVD -R 1x media(hard to find in stores). Which is also compusa brand. Now when I try burning at 1x, I can only go as low as 2x. Im sure its my burner not supporting the 1x speed. But now when I do burn at 2x on a DVD -R, I can't boot the game, I get the pink box around the "insert disk" on the Swap Magic screen.

Guess my question is, since I have a v4 PS2, shouldn't it read DVD -R's? And I thought burning at slower speeds was suppose to improve the game, even though its only .4 less, it should still matter.

Any Ideas what I can do to get these games to work properly without skipping or freezing.

P.S.
    I have even tried BlindWriter5 with the tweak, still can only do 2x.

2. jdb34

jdb34 Member

Just found this online about my burner:

12x, 8x, 6x (Z-CLV), 4x, 2.4x (DVD+R)
    4x, 2.4x (DVD+RW)
    8x, 6x (Z-CLV), 4x, 2x, 1x (DVD-R)
    4x, 2x, 1x (DVD-RW)

Obviously it looks like it does support DVD -R 1x. So why can I not burn it at that speed?

3. jdb34

jdb34 Member

Just found out why the games don't work on DVD -R's. Just put a dvd Movie on one to test in my PS2, its just sitting at "Reading Disc" in the browser menu.

My PS2 is a 30001, which is a v4 correct? So it should read the disc.

4. jdb34

jdb34 Member

Well I have been trying over and over with SpiderMan2, using DVD decryptor, Alcohol, Nero. All getting the same results, Black screen after inserting the backup using Swap Magic. I am back to using the 4x Media. Since apparently my PS2 won't read -R's. I have seen a lot of threads saying to use Ritek G04. Well arent those -r's?

Anyone have any suggestions, you know a response would be nice.