1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some games won't work on Hard Disk

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by PierreLo, Jan 8, 2008.

1. PierreLo

PierreLo Member

Hi all,

I softmodded my Xbox, installed a new 250GB hard disk, everything went fine, ended up with nice F: and G: partitions to store stuff.
    I then used the application DVD2Xbox(from Unleash X)to copy all my games to hard disk, some on the F: partition, some on the G: partition.
    Strange thing is that some games work fine, other won't run at all, while other will start but will then freeze ( all games are originals, no copies, I precise)

For example, Pro Evolution Soccer 5 will start, but then freeze after a few menus, Outrun 2 will not even start and just displays a grey screen, but fable works fine, crash bandicoot also, etc...

I tried to copy games that don't work to the other partition, but same result, so I doubt it is related to a possible hard drive sector defect.

Can anyone help ? Sorry if this has been asked and solved before, in case, could you point me to the appropriate thread ?

Many thanks in advance

PierreLo

2. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Clear the E:\Cache folder on the Xbox HDD!

3. that11guy

that11guy Guest

the ones on one partition might be working but not on the other, try copying a game that works to another partition and see if it works, also see if the ones that dont work have a default.xbe

4. PierreLo

PierreLo Member

Thanks guys for your help.

It turned out that network connection was responsible, as I discovered on another forum from a guy who had the same experience.
    I had to deactivate network in system options, clear cache and it worked fin then. Funny...

(of course I tried deleting cache before, but it didn' help until I deactivated the network)

Maybe the game tries to connect to something (live ?) without saying...

Anyway, if you get any game that freezes that way, try this network thingy.

Have fun !

PierreLo

5. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Deactivate the network, never heard of that one...

Interesting! Can you give us more info on the procedure? Which dashboard, where was the setting, etc!?

6. PierreLo

PierreLo Member

OK, I'll try to give some more info out of my head (I'm at work right now, obviously no XBOX around here ;.)

1. The config

Xbox 1.3, Softmod through Splinter cell hack, dash Unleash X latest (same situation with Evox though)

1. The situation

If there is a savegame existing, when starting COD3, game freezes just when you press start when asked. If no savegane exists, game freezes when trying to create a new profile.

2. The reason

This happens when the Xbox is connected to the network (i.e has a valid IP address). It seems the game tries to access the network( for live reasons ?) and fails.

3. The solution

Going to global system settings in the dashboard, in the "network" section, and selectîng "Network enabled : No" solves the issue.
    Yet, if the game failed before, you first have to erase the cache directory and any invalid savegame that was created when the game froze.

Does this answer your question ?

For information, I had the same kind of problems with other games, such as Midtown madness 3 or Outrun 2 (and others I can't remember)

Hope this helps.

PierreLo