1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some help for a beginner...

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by PaulDC, Jun 8, 2004.

1. PaulDC

PaulDC Member

Hi all, well, I don't have the greatest capturing setup, but I'd like to get the best performance possible with what I have. I've got a nice PC, with a GeForce2GTS video card. I'm just using the video card itself to do the capturing. What I'm doing is trying to capture som VHS movies, somew family tapes. I'm using Adobe Premier Pro 7, and a nice plugin that lets me capture analog sources. I've been trying several different codecs, so far I like the divx one the best, any suggestions though? So far I can get a good input with no dropped fames, up to a certain point though, the video will capture for a while no problems, then after a certain point start dropping frames all over the place, I asusme it's some kind of buffer that's filling up then no able to keep up...Anything I can do to help? Also, I'm using a Hitachi VCR and when copying the result video has a big white bar in the middle of the screen, som kind of copy protection I assume? What's the best way arround that? But anyways, I thank you all in advance for any help.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well the DivX Codec uses Huge ammount of CPU Power to Capture because it is such a Highly compressed Format so that is Probably what is causeing the Dropped Frames....The Very best Capture Codec is Called the "HuffYUV" codec because it is a 100% Lossless Codec so the Video before Compression is exactly the same as After compression and only a Couple codecs can say that....
    The HuffYUV Codec is a Freeware Codec and uses Very little CPU Power but it does need a Lot of Hard drive space and a fast dedicated Hard drive for Video capture because the Files can take up to 30gb per Hour of Video but the Files are the highest Quality you can possibly get with your Capture Card because the Codec is Lossless....
    If you don"t have that kind of Disk Space then I suggest you capture Directly to Mpeg2 useing something like "Intervideo WinDVR 3.0" as it produces very good Quality Mpeg2 files but you need to have a PC of at least 2.0ghz to capture full DVD resolution files at Full Quality.....

What Plugin are you talking about that lets you capture Analogue in Premier Pro??? It isn"t the MainConcept Mpeg Pro Plugin is it??
    I actually just Got the new Adobe Premier Pro 1.5 version but I haven"t had a Chance to check it out yet.......Cheers

3. PaulDC

PaulDC Member

Thanks for the advice, I'll check out those codecs. Yeah, I've been using MainConcepts plugin with Premier, is there a better one? Also, I found out that white bar was bar was caused by nVidia's capture driver, so I found the ASUS capture driver that came with my card and no white bar, only problem is that I can't get Premier to recognize the ASUS driver...