1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some laptop problems, Might be the LCD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by sniper128, Jul 4, 2007.

1. sniper128

sniper128 Guest

My laptop is a little screwed up guys. I was using it one day and I shut it down. The next time I powered it up the LCD went white. Normally when a LCD dies it should go black, but it went white, so I think its not dead.
    Normally when you boot the computer the screen starts black and the Asus logo appears, even before they load bios or the operating system, but now when you boot it the whole thing goes white. I'm assuming the computer dose run, but I haven't tested it.
    I cant even reformat it because when you put the disk in...THE WHOLE FREAKIN SCREEN IS WHITE!!!

Any ideas guys? I really don't want to get a new laptop cause I'm always flat broke. Any ideas would help.

Thanks.

I know your not supposed to put your email, but I'm not worried about spam. Send me an email if you have anything.

ghost_stalker128@yahoo.com

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It could either be the LCD or the video adapter, either are going to see the laptop need to be repaired.

3. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

plug a crt moniter onto the vga outlet and see if it loads if it does then the lcd is dead :)

the only white screen i have come across lately is on my pcc satnav and it was dead :) great as a flashlight lol but no good for anything useful

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol my screen flashes full screen of certain colours when you disconnect the DVI cable as a test. Great for lighting up the room - 30" at 400 nits lol, perhaps it's a test procedure? if it is, the external monitor test will tell you.

5. sniper128

sniper128 Guest

Yea, the computer runs fine. If you leave it long enough you can hear the Microsoft theme when it boots. I haven't plugged it into a VGA monitor, but I'm pretty sure it will work.

I talked to one of my cousins who has a degree in electronics and computers and that kinda stuff. He says that white is weird, because normally when a LCD dies it goes black. We figure that if it went white then maybe the LCD controller fried, and I don't think I can fix that.

It's not really worth sending into a shop to get it fixed because its pretty old. Asus L3800...If i can't fix the LCD I might just end up using it as a desktop...or if worst comes to worst...yes a very large flashlight...

Know any repair shops in Oregon?

-Thanks

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's either going to be a repair job or a screen replacement, which is doable, but if it's an old laptop, time to weigh up the comparative cost.

7. sniper128

sniper128 Guest

Well do you think that I should get it fixed. The specs are as followed...lol i always wanted to say that

1.9 Ghz
    512 KB cache
    512 MB RAM
    40 GB HDD
    32 MB Graphics memory

think its worth fixing?