1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

some movies work, some don't

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by saaymssik, Aug 9, 2004.

1. saaymssik

saaymssik Guest

Hi,

Most of the movies I backed-up using DVD shrink and Nero playback fine on my xBox.

Some of them don't. It seem that newer DVDs are the ones that don't play.

I'm using the same media all the time and the same proceedures.

Some (most) of the movies that don't playback in the xBox will playback on my DVD reader in my PC.

Thoughts?

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I don't have much knowledge about X Box as I have PS II, but I have read in AD while perusing the threads that X Box can be a little finicky when playing back DVD's. You are not the 1st to complain of this problem. There are many good standalone DVD players on the market today that will handle ALL DVD formats(+,-,R,RW) for very reasonable prices, about 70-80 bucks and less.

The Philips DVP 642 or the Sony DVP NS425P both sell in this range and I've yet to see my Sony that will not play a disc I've put in it. I've heard the same for the Philips.

Just a thought....
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600, XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17" flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated 5.1 audio, HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn SO[/small]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2004
  3. saaymssik

saaymssik Guest

thanks for the reply.

I just find it puzzling that some work and some don't.
    You'd think if it's the same media, burned in the same way, it wouldn't be a problem. Like I said, it seems to happen with newer commercial DVD's. Prehaps it's some sort of new copy protection.

I have an older (about four years) Sondy and it won't play ANY burned DVD's.

I think I will probably buy a new DVD player and test some of my disks in it. If they don't work, I can always take the player back.

4. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Hmm, never heard of Sondy ... but Sony's make good players (lol!!) j/k.

Do you know how fast your burning? My XBox doesn't like +/-RW's and anything burned at 8x.

5. saaymssik

saaymssik Guest

burning at x4. Like I said, some work some don't.

6. flip218

What brand of media are you using?

7. saaymssik

saaymssik Guest

Memorex 4x DVD+R injet printable.

Like I said, I think it's a copy protection issue as new (newly published disks like Kill Bill 2) won't copy

8. flip218

Nice try ... but I don't think so :) I just did Kill Bill 2. Ripped with decrypter and ran it through Shrink.

9. saaymssik

saaymssik Guest

OK, don't get nasty.

I should restate... these movies, copy and I can play them on my PC dvd player, but they don't play on the xBox.

This problem happens with newer DVDs, like Kill Bill 2.

I guess I just need to go buy a new DVD player, try it, and return it if it doesn't work and keep trying until I get one that works. Thank you all

10. flip218

Who's getting nasty?

What media are you using? I know for sure XBox doesn't like Princo or any +/-RW media. Also, what speed are you burning at with Nero?

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

saaymssik, I don't believe flip was being nasty, just trying to help. I also have burned Kill Bill 2 and had no problems at all. I think a new player will solve your problem.

Also, Memorex is a risky purchase, you may get a good batch one time and crappy ones the next ten. They farm out all their media so you never know what you're buying til you get it home. Try DVDinfopro, a handy free tool that will analyze your discs. You can get branded Ritek G04 for .52 ea./100 w/free shipping at Meritline. Good media doesn't mean expensive.

I just bought that Philips DVP 642(previous post) today for 65.00 at Wal-Mart. It plays all formats including Divx and Mpeg 4 and progressive scan for HDTV.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600, XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17" flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated 5.1 audio, HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn SO[/small]

12. saaymssik

saaymssik Guest

thanks, BigOrange.

Do we know of an inkjet printable brand of DVD+R othr than Memorex?

13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

14. pufff

pufff Member

I have had problems using shrink to play on my xbox too.The funny thing is that I used to use dvd x copy and all the copies I made from that worked on the xbox fine.That included + - discs,good and bad media. Can anyone explain this? thanks

15. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Hi all. :)

pufff, I can take a shot at explaining it. ;)

DVDXCopy uses a different burning engine than the one you use to burn the "shrunk" files.
    It simply creates backups more compliant with the X-Box than the other burning software.

If you're using Nero, you might want to try the UDF/ISO mode.
    It has a "Force DVD-Video compatibility mode (required for Xbox TM") option.
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/nero-udf-iso.php

16. pufff

pufff Member

Thanks DD
    I just found the option on my nero for the xbox.Im about to do a movie right now to test it.Your help is much appreciated.Thankyou!!

17. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

You're welcome. :)

Let us know if this fixes the issue. ;)

18. hijacker

hijacker Guest

Don't use cheap discs

19. pufff

pufff Member

I eventually got it going and the movie played back fine on the xbox.I also tried the new decryter last night.That didnt work on xbox.Does that have some kind of option that will make it work or is it only the nero that can do that? Thanks again DD!!

20. michigan

michigan Guest

A lot of times it's just the media brand. My PS2 won't play Verbatim "datalife" Shrunk movies but it plays the same movie with the same settings burned on Ritek's