1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some mp3's won't convert to WAV

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 3pm, Oct 11, 2002.

1. 3pm

3pm Member

Hi. Some mp3's I download won't convert to WAV files. I use MP3toWAV free program from Mobsoft. Some songs convert fine, others won't at all. Anyone here have any ideas?
    Thanks.

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Download Nero Burning Rom and you'll get the wave editor with it so use that to open the file then save it as mp3

3. 3pm

3pm Member

Thanks for your reply, Dela, but the luck o' the Irish isn't rubbing off on me. I tried it (already had Nero) and it still won't convert some songs. I don't know if you know MP3toWAV free, but when you pick the input file (mp3), the file info is supposed to automatically appear with it (bitrate, etc.). For the songs that don't convert, that info doesn't appear. Don't know if it's a fault of the program or the files themselves. About half the files work fine, the other half not at all. Maybe I'm not holding my tongue right.

Any other suggestions most appreciated...

4. Dela

I reckon it would be just the files. I often get a few bad mp3's here and there but since the release of Kazaa Media Desktop 2.0 I can find some damn good mp3's when I abolish that damn birate limit!!!

5. 3pm

3pm Member

Problem solved. It turned out the fault was with Mp3toWav. I downloaded another decoder, Mp3Decode from Etalon, and it works fine with every file, even does batches. Life is a little better now. Thanks for your replies, Dela.

6. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Dela,

Your suggestion results transcoding, which screws the sound quality.

3pm,

Analyze your files with EncSpot. There must be something wrong with the mp3s itself.

7. Dela

I am aware of the loss of quality when converting from mp3 to wav (or mp3 to anything for that matter!). I only made a suggestion that I have used before to convert mp3 to wav and with the priority set on highest, I have never lost enough quality to call my wav's "screwed".

Anyway, there is always a better version of your mp3 on kazaa so why even bother going to the trouble of repairing or re-encoding the file when you can get another one!!

8. 3pm

3pm Member

cd-rw.org,

Thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded EncSpot, nifty little program. One column that caught my attention was "Bad last frame", which several of my mp3's have, although they didn't necessarily correspond to the files that wouldn't convert to wav's before, some did, some didn't. Same with the quality column, some "good" files wouldn't convert before, some "poor" ones did, so I still don't know what the reason was. It doesn't matter much now that I have a different decoder that works with all files, but still curious.

9. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Bad Last Frame: The mp3 file is incomplete
    Poor, or medium quality: The song was encoded with a poor encoder and/or too low bitrate for high fidelity.

10. mhoope01

mhoope01 Member

MP32WAV will lose quality -- and its brother, WAV2MP3 is an absolutely abhorrent encoder!

If you use a decent decoder (Lame) then you WONT lose any quality going from MP3 to WAV. [Of course, Transcoding it back again, you will]

Why do you want MP3's you download as WAV's? If you are just burning them to CD's, virtually all modern CD Burning software will burn MP3's straight onto an Audio CD