1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some newbie-type questions about Memory Card exploit

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Igarashi, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Igarashi

Igarashi Member

Hi everyone.

I have some original japanese PS1 cds from long ago when I had a mod-chipped ps1 (I have no idea where it is now). I also have some japanese ps2 discs from when I lived over there. I've never owned a US playstation 2, but my little brother has one, says that he never uses it now, and that I can take it. Nice.

It's a SCPH-30000 type, an older "thick" model. I ordered a network adapter, which will let me put a hard drive in, if I'm not mistaken. I have lots of older, ~60ish gig drives lying around so I can hopefull find one that works.

I don't have a mod chip or an altered ps2 in any way, and I'd rather keep it that way. It's my brothers, so I don't really want to open it up or anything. So once I have a hard drive in there, I need to use the ps1 disc/memory card exploit, right? My friend has something like that, at least when I went to her place I played games directly off a hard drive. I have lots of original US ps1 discs still around, so that is no problem. So, the questions:

1: Is it possible to write the memory card exploit file using my friends ps2, (presumably from some ELF file on hers) and then bringing the card over to my place? Could this let me run stuff off the hard drive without altering the ps2?

2: Is the memory card exploit "linked" to a specific ps1 game, or can any ps1 game be used with the card once it's written? Also, are the exploits linked to the system at all? eg., the card can be written on one ps2 and then used on a different one.

3: The HDLoader software will let me, I assume, play import games once I load them on to the drive either through the PC or reading the disc on the ps2. Right?

4: What about ps1 games? There seems to be a consensus that they cannot be loaded via HDLoader or any hard drive software due to the fundamental design of the ps2. However, could the memory card exploit, instead of going to HDLoader load a non-valid (ie burned or import) ps1 game? Or can all the memory card exploit do is go to the hard drive?

Sorry if these questions have been covered or seem ignorant. I've tried reading a lot of this forum, but it's a bit confusing, with contradictions as to what can and cannot be done. Presumably this is because things that weren't possible years ago now are, or things like that. Anyway, thanks for any help / responses. Hopfully I can be soon playing all the cool vertical shooters that never came out here in the US.

-Igarashi

2. NHS2008

NHS2008 Regular member

You seem to be very new to this side of Gaming.

First of all YES you can get the EXPLOIT from your friends MC onto yours and use it at your home(provided she knows hoew to do it)

I am not sure about this one as I NEVER USED ANY KIND OF EXPLOIT.
    but I think it's linked to one game but you can link it with as many games as you want.

IN YOUR DREAMS BUDDY!

NO HDLoader will play imports as long as your PS2 is able to play them via CD (that means you need a modded PS2 to do that)

Import ps1 games or any ps1 title is current INCOMPATIBLE with
    HDLoader but few weeks ago a guy(forgot his name) made claims about being able to play them on harddrive but it was'nt cofirmed.

YES it's possible to use EXPLOITS to play burned/import games
    search this site for that9or google)

3. Igarashi

Igarashi Member

Thanks for the reply NH2008, and yes I am quite new at this. Or rather, I used to play and had a modded ps1 and stuff, but haven't played anything for several years.

Hmm... I've read in other places that you can play imports with the HDLoader. I don't mean play the import disc directly. But if I use a program such as hdldump or hdldumb, and put the import ps2 dvd in my computer and transfer it, wouldn't the ps2 then be able to run the game stored on the hard disc? If the region codes are stored in the game data itself, couldn't that be easily modified once you've got that data on your hard drive? Especially on your computer hard drive; if it's just data somehere in your game rip file that says "REGION=JAP" surely there's some software to go in and change that to "REGION=US"? Or is the region lockout somehow more involved than that?

It just seems odd that once you've acheived execution of arbitrary code off the hard drive, you woulnd't be able to pay an imported game stored there.

... and I thought I was so close to playing Mushihime-sama... >_<

4. NHS2008

NHS2008 Regular member

Well I am not sure about it
    there is a elf file which is responsible for this which cannot be modified without rendering the game useleess I am in India but I have JAP PS2 with MOD-chip so I hav'nt tried anything in that direction.
    but you can get some help from here: Indipendance-Exploit

I think you should get some kind of softmod Like swapmajic or Majic keys or addon USB modchip.